Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Feb 2008
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Rossi 38 Special in My Scoop .. Yikes!

Wow, that is a special find. Best I ever did was a rusty old BB gun. Which I left where I found it. If you do get it back. It would look good restored.

us
    May 2009
    Yuma Az
    Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
    37 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.oroblanco
    That is exactly like the one I own. It's sweet!!

B
    Amen Mrs O I've owned 2 nice guns ,.

if it was me I'd call an ask them if you can have it after everything , worse they can do is say no ,
    I'f by chance you do get it back Rossi can redo it back to stock if you wanted , their good people to deal with an their custom shops are fast .

HH Tank
    Building my wealth one pull tab at a time Tank69

us
    Dec 2007
    Georgia
    1265X and Tejon
    4 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Enjoy your pics and memories. That gun will be "stored" or destroyed.
    Sorry,
    Newt

us
    Jul 2006
    Orange County CA
    Whites DFX, Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ21
    32 times

I am curious which end of the LB harbor beach the gun was found at ( presuming you found it in Long Beach) or did the LB police ask you not to reveal the location ? If you care to say was it found over more towards the Queen Mary end or more towards Belmont shore? It has just really piqued my curiosity about that aspect of your find. I don't hunt Long Beach alot but on occasion I have parked near Bixby park right there at the coast and sometimes some of the crowd that hang around that area can make one real nervous. I hunted that beach one time not long after one of our heavy storms and it was mind blowing the piles of trash that tend to accumulate up on the beaches out of the harbor. Probably mostly from the Los Angeles river outflow. Pretty sad really. I wonder if the gun was tossed directly into the ocean or somehow was moved down to the beach area via the river channels. For those of you who don't know Long Beach very well there are some real nice areas and some very rough neighborhoods in some parts of that town. I would be willing to bet someone wanted to ditch the gun real fast. I am not and have never been a gun owner but I do think that if the original owner is not found and if the gun was not involved in a crime then the Long Beach cops ought to give it back to the finder especially since it does not look like it will really ever be functional again. It definitely is a conversation piece. At least there are a couple nice pics taken before it was handed over to the police. For future reference I am also curious how the LB cops treated you when you turned it in just in case I ever find anything so strange. Were they grateful or just annoyed ?

us
    sirdigsthepennies

Apr 2008
    st. joseph missouri
    old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
    18 times

gun control i love it every one should like my deffinition of gun control to be able to hit and kill the target you are aiming at with as few rounds as possiable or as many as it takes

us
    Nov 2008
    10 times
    Banner Finds (1)

man this topic went off with a BANG!! willy

us
    Joe

Sep 2007
    Long Beach, California
    XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
    702 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (4)

Hi Mike in OC ...Welcome to the forum.

I am most sure it was not dropped where I found it. They are building up the beaches towards the San Gabriel River side and the sand comes from dredging close to the harbor at the L.A. River. Last year the city posted signs indicating their intentions of using that harbor dredged sand. The sand was deposited over the past couple of years in large mounds right at the Belmont Shore Beaches, I presume to dry out.

When I called the regular police department number he directed me to call the dispatcher. The dispatcher sent someone over within about 20 minutes. I received a phone call from the dispatcher telling me the officer was outside and to come out WITHOUT the gun. Thinking about it I understood very well. Here they knew a firearm was in my house and they didn't know my exact state of mind. So when I came outside I gave him my most innocent smile and told him: "you guys are as afraid (respectful) of guns as I am"...He smiled back and said that they take firearms very seriously.

It was a good experience no attitude from the officer. He gave me a report number and said I could inquire about details of the gun investigation. BUT whatever the outcome the gun would be destroyed. I pressed him a bit on the fact that I thought that I had a legal claim to it and he stopped listening and just repeated: It WILL be destroyed."

Right now I have a phone# to the California Attorney General's Firearms section and I hope to learn the legalities of having the gun destroyed.

Right now too .. I WANT THAT GUN MORE THAN EVER!

And I must admit that I am a strong advocate of gun control (and not just in aiming ).

HH Joe
    Regards, Joe (California)

us
    William

Sep 2007
    California
    55 times

I can't imagine a police department giving a dangerous weapon to someone.
    Check out my website at:
    http://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies and Television

us
    Dec 2007
    Chicago and Florida Keys
    Matrix M-6, Bounty Hunter, Fisher CZ-21 and Pistol Probe Pinpointer.
    1 times

Nice find WTG!!!

ca
    Feb 2009
    276 times

Neat find, you've got the pictures to remember it.

us
    Digaholic

Sep 2006
    Lone Star State
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Monty
    Gun laws vary from state to state. Assuming it was not used in a crime and held for evidence, or if there is not a lost/stolen report on file, you may be able to claim it. It's important that you send a registered return receipt letter to the head of the law enforcement law agency that picked it up stating that you want to claim it if it is not contriband. Here in my jurisdiction there is no need to disable it to claim it. Owning an unregistered handgun is accepted as being a constitutional right here in Oklahoma. Having a carry permit would strengthen my claim if I had found it. Good luck and keep us informed. Monty
    Good info Monty. Rules like that are why I like Okiehoma.......I have a friend that lives in Rattan.
    My detector is a needle finder; The world is my haystack.
    =====================================
    Think with a clear conscience or you will not be able to speak with one.
    ==============================================

us
    Jan 2010
    idaho
    whites prizm 3, whites bullseye ii

dang i want that in my scoop...............i would have a hard time handing it to the cop i would want to restore it to.....great finds!!

On extended Holiday.

Dec 2008
    40 times

Quote Originally Posted by DrJoePrime
    Hi Mike in OC ...Welcome to the forum.

I am most sure it was not dropped where I found it. They are building up the beaches towards the San Gabriel River side and the sand comes from dredging close to the harbor at the L.A. River. Last year the city posted signs indicating their intentions of using that harbor dredged sand. The sand was deposited over the past couple of years in large mounds right at the Belmont Shore Beaches, I presume to dry out.

When I called the regular police department number he directed me to call the dispatcher. The dispatcher sent someone over within about 20 minutes. I received a phone call from the dispatcher telling me the officer was outside and to come out WITHOUT the gun. Thinking about it I understood very well. Here they knew a firearm was in my house and they didn't know my exact state of mind. So when I came outside I gave him my most innocent smile and told him: "you guys are as afraid (respectful) of guns as I am"...He smiled back and said that they take firearms very seriously.

It was a good experience no attitude from the officer. He gave me a report number and said I could inquire about details of the gun investigation. BUT whatever the outcome the gun would be destroyed. I pressed him a bit on the fact that I thought that I had a legal claim to it and he stopped listening and just repeated: It WILL be destroyed."

Right now I have a phone# to the California Attorney General's Firearms section and I hope to learn the legalities of having the gun destroyed.

Right now too .. I WANT THAT GUN MORE THAN EVER!

And I must admit that I am a strong advocate of gun control (and not just in aiming ).

HH Joe
    You are a "strong advocate" of gun control and yet you want the gun back?

nz
    des

Jun 2009
    taupo
    garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
    Banner Finds (1)

The way i see it is you owned , it now you dont ..same over here if we find anything relating to our culture..we dont own it !!!..I guess different with a shooter but to keep hobbist detectorists handing in supposed illegal whatevers or cultural bits an pieces you think a thank you to pin on the wall would be better than st..f all......lets hope a top fed official gets into diggn...des
    time and tide waits for no man...or woman !!!

Mar 2008
    Chicago IL
    Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
    63 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

That would be awesome to find either in my scoop on at the bottom of my plug!!!
    Come check out my MD'ing videos:
    http://youtube.com/user/TreasureFiend

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors