Buttons, Bullets, Reale and more

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out with the boys and we all did good. Here is what I got. Any one have any idea what the lock plate looking thing is? The flat button was very corroded as was the gelded artillery button but thanks to some tips from buckle boys post they came out fairly decent. The 1810 reale was a suprise in this part of the country and I was stoked to find it. Thank for looking and HH.

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 962
  • artil.jpg
    artil.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 899
  • flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 953
  • realfront.jpg
    realfront.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 963
  • realback.jpg
    realback.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 956
  • watzit.jpg
    watzit.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 957
Upvote 0

mismi

Feb 10, 2010
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & White`s BeachHunter 300 ID
Finding a Spanish "Piece of Eight" in this area is great to see. Being very new to metal detecting and this being my first post after joining - I`m curious to know why coins such as this one have holes in them?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mismi said:
Finding a Spanish "Piece of Eight" in this area is great to see. Being very new to metal detecting and this being my first post after joining - I`m curious to know why coins such as this one have holes in them?

Its not actually a Piece of 8 so to speak,a piece of eight is actually a piece cut from a piece of an 8 real.There are various theories as to why they were holed,many say that due to the fact there were no pockets in pants back in the day,coins were sewn in,or kept on a string.I have found quite a few that had just one side worn which leads me to beleive many were worn around the neck?

Also the real was legal tender up into the 1850's so one never knows where they will pop up!

mismi

Feb 10, 2010
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & White`s BeachHunter 300 ID
Its not actually a Piece of 8 so to speak,a piece of eight is actually a piece cut from a piece of an 8 real.There are various theories as to why they were holed,many say that due to the fact there were no pockets in pants back in the day,coins were sewn in,or kept on a string.I have found quite a few that had just one side worn which leads me to beleive many were worn around the neck?

Also the real was legal tender up into the 1850's so one never knows where they will pop up!

Thanks kugar,
I agree. It is not actually a "Piece of Eight" as per the definition. I just use that "label" because that is what the Fisher family and their employees refer to them as - regardless of the denomination - 8, 4, 2, etc. I have an 8 reales I bought from them last summer that has a partial date of 162- . This coin was recovered from the mother load of the Atocha that sank on September 6, 1622.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mismi said:

Thanks kugar,
I agree. It is not actually a "Piece of Eight" as per the definition. I just use that "label" because that is what the Fisher family and their employees refer to them as - regardless of the denomination - 8, 4, 2, etc. I have an 8 reales I bought from them last summer that has a partial date of 162- . This coin was recovered from the mother load of the Atocha that sank on September 6, 1622.
[/qu

Gotcha! :thumbsup:Cool!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive finds you have there ! Glad you found a reale in Alabama ,Fatcat :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SkyPirate said:
Wonder why there is a hole in the coin? Great stuff!

There are various theories as to why they were holed,many say that due to the fact there were no pockets in pants back in the day,coins were sewn in,or kept on a string.I have found quite a few that had just one side worn which leads me to beleive many were worn around the neck?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread