Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandfather's Old House this AM

Went to a house my Grandfather built in about 1950.? Got permission and spent abut two hours in the back yard.? Found 2 wheats, a 1956 and a 1912, a 1954 Nickel? and about 65 cents in clad pennies and dimes.? The 1912 was worn pretty thin but I could make out the date.? What I really found that I liked was three old monopoly game tokens.? I remember my Mom, all her sisters and brothers and the grandparents playing Monoply into the wee hours of the morning.? I recall? when the old board finally broke in two at the fold and Grandma gave it to us kids to play with. They bought a new one. Guess we left it out in the yard at one time as I found these today.? Would date from prior to WWII as it was old and worn when I was a child.? Very sentimental to me.? Enjoy.? Monty

PS....I gotta fix the date thing on my camera! Been putting it off because I am too lazy to read the manual! ::)

Attachments

• Resize of DSC00513.JPG
    Resize of DSC00513.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Grandfather's Old House this AM

its cool to find stuff that you played with when you were a kid, just a couple weeks ago i found a couple spoons that we used to play with in my mamaw's yard, probably lost them about 18-20 years ago

cool finds!!

HH

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Memories Priceless Monty. Even for the rest of us it brings back memories. cool finds :D :D :D Burdie

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just noticed the little thimble says "For A Good Girl" on it in tiny, tiny letters!? All the little tokens use to represent something. The little bag was a carpet bag representing the Carpet Baggrs after the Civil war, and the shoe?....I don't remember. I don't think they are the same anymore? Monty

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

really nice find ?and the memories also! My daughters and I have the board up all the time...just keep playing....but they dont make that little purse anymore.....found this picture ?and thought it was interesting of the first game......In 1904 Elizabeth "Lizzie" J. Magie, a young Quakeress from Arden, Delaware, was granted a U.S. Patent for a game called The Landlord's Game (left). Lizzie Magie was a supporter of the political economist Henry George and her game was politically inspired. The idea behind The Landlord's Game was to show how property owners became rich at the expense of impoverished tenants

Attachments

• landlordsgame.jpg
    landlordsgame.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 426
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Parker Bros. must have bought the patent as I think they have put them out as long as I can remember? Monty

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ohhhh....What some really great finds and a wonderful story! I don't remember there being a carpet bag....

I wish I had my detector before my Dad sold his house...no tellin what I might have found....

I am so happy for you to have found those!

Nana ;)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice story, Monty. It makes me want to break out the Monopoly game.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know that the monopoly game that I have in my closet now has the shoe and the thimble, but I've never seen the bag piece in my 36 years. Great finds Monty, finding a little piece (or 3) of your family's past.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Monty,

really nice finds. You were blessed with finding something from your past; not often
that happens. Memories..............

have a good un.............

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Nice stuff!! That carpet bag is neat, great piece of history from the reconstruction era :)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Very cool Monty, WTG!!!
I just stated on another post awhile back, how I would love to hunt where I grew up, but it's in the middle of the Indianapolis Zoo now days. I don't remember there ever being a carpet bag either, but I do know they have changed them through the years...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Very cool!

I think Monopoly first came out in the 30s - Maybe the shoe is for the miles walked pounding the pavement trying to find work(?).

Neat info about that "Landlord's Game." Kinda makes you wonder if there's any connection between the two games.

Nan

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh there definately was a connection Nan. The lady who invented the landlord game wound up getting bought off for $500.00, a lot of money back then. Monty

Waco Kid

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Great finds! When I was a kid, our Monopoly games almost always lasted far into the night, and usually ended in complete turmoil when it was discovered that someone had been pilfering money from the bank (and often passing some of it along to others who were in cahoots with him). Accusations would fly, followed by houses, hotels, money, and movers being thrown all over the room. In the years since, I have often found Monopoly pieces - a little green house lying in the gutter, a piece of Monopoly money blowing across the yard, etc. I have always tended to think that they are some of those same pieces from back then that were thrown by me or my brother or one of our friends, and that in mid-flight they passed through some sort of time warp into the future, only to confront me again. It's nice that you can use your detector to create a sort of time warp of your own to revisit your past!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread