$100 confederate bill

jammed

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2009
northern ohio
Detector(s) used
garrett 250
I was over a friends house today and he was going through his brothers personal belongings who had passed away. Came across $100 confederate bill that is dated Nov. 20, 1862. We know nothing about this item and the little bit of reseach I have done leads me t
o believe it is a fake. The serial # is in red ink which is the way they did do it but it is so faded can't read it. I did find a web site that gave a serial # and stated if that same # was on the bill it was a fake but still worth money. It seems when you used a confederate bill it was stamped due to the fact you got 2 cents interest from the date it was issued, this one being Nov 20, 1862. This one was never stamped. Thank you in advance for any input.

Attachments

• 100_2670.jpg
    100_2670.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 3,547
  • 100_2671.jpg
    100_2671.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2,766
  • 100_2672.jpg
    100_2672.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 5,727
Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, my mom has some in her safe bits been years since I have seen um...

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bill fake or not. Would like to have one myself one day. Cool find.

Mainer

OP
OP
J

jammed

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2009
northern ohio
Detector(s) used
garrett 250
I did find more info on this confederate $100 bill. I still am not sure if it is real or a fake but found the following info which I found interesting.

A contemporary counterfeit Confederate note is a note that was produced during the War. It may have brown or dark colored hand signatures. The best known counterfeiter of Confederate notes during the War was Samuel Upham, a Philadelphia businessman who started by producing stationary that showed Jefferson Davis's head to resemble a jackass. He eventually began producing counterfeit notes and CSA postage stamps in early 1862 which he sold for 5 cents each or $15 per 1000. Upham's earliest notes had his name and address on the very bottom edge of the notes. Upham soon found out that a number of people were cutting off the name and address on his notes and were using them in the South to buy cotton. He felt he ought to share in some of the profits so in late 1862, Upham began printing the notes without his name and address and raised the price of his notes. Towards the end of the War when Confederate currency was practically worthless, Upham was offering $20,000 in counterfeit CSA notes for only $5. Years after the war ended Upham claimed that he had printed 1,564,000 bogus notes between 1862 and 1863. He also boasted that Jefferson Davis had offered a reward in gold for his body, dead or alive. Today, Confederate contemporary counterfeit notes are very collectable and in many instances, worth as much as the authentic note counterfeited after, and in a few instances, it is worth more.

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that is interesting. I am not trying to be a wet blanket or anything but I once read that General Mills printed more Confederate money than the Confederacy!!! They put the "Replicas" in cereal in the 1960's for some kind of 100 year anniversary promotion. I'm not saying that is what you have but the website that I saw that on had a list of Serial Numbers that were on all of those Bills. You should be able to find that article with a little Search Engine work. I hope your bill is Authentic but just wanted to make you aware of what I read sometime ago. Good luck and an interesting find anyway that it turns out. HH

OP
OP
J

jammed

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2009
northern ohio
Detector(s) used
garrett 250
Butler said:
Sweet, so knowing what you know... what are you going to do? Sell it? Keep it?

It's not mine to sell Butler but I think if it were mine I would sell it to someone who is a civil war fanatic.

OP
OP
J

jammed

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2009
northern ohio
Detector(s) used
garrett 250
Captain Loosechange said:
Hey that is interesting. I am not trying to be a wet blanket or anything but I once read that General Mills printed more Confederate money than the Confederacy!!! They put the "Replicas" in cereal in the 1960's for some kind of 100 year anniversary promotion. I'm not saying that is what you have but the website that I saw that on had a list of Serial Numbers that were on all of those Bills. You should be able to find that article with a little Search Engine work. I hope your bill is Authentic but just wanted to make you aware of what I read sometime ago. Good luck and an interesting find anyway that it turns out. HH

Captain I did see that web site and the bills that were given away in cereal but the design is different on them and I have determined it is a fake due to the serial number but believe it was made during the civil war.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Real or fake? Who cares. Put it in a cool frame. If it is real, it is a treasure. If not you will learn a lot finding out. That is a treasure in its self. Great find.

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
I was in different foster homes when i was young in the
early 50s and at one of them i remeber at breakfast the ladie
gave me a confederate bill that came in a cereal box. I
remember it looked new at the time. Dont know what ever
happened to it. Jimbob

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat find !!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
J

jammed

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2009
northern ohio
Detector(s) used
garrett 250
I hope this is a clearer pic of it.......hope it is not too big

Attachments

• lastscan.jpg
    lastscan.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 13,311

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something is definitely not right, that note should have a blank reverse.

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Well I absoulutly know nothing about confederate money, but would like to make an observation. Not being in some sort of protected wrap the bill seems to be in awesome shape if it is original. I would have to believe that after being handled the acids from human hands would have done alot more damage to the bill if it is from that time period.I hope I am wrong and you got the real McCoy there and its worth tons!

Good Luck
Slipperyjack47

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread