Weird Key?? Silver Jewelry Finds - E-Trac was amazing

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On only my 10th time out with the new E-Trac I was very impressed with the depth and seperation of silver near iron. Coming from the Explorer SE (w/pro coil), I wasn't expecting it to be much different but I have noticed that I am getting better rejection on poptops and screwcaps. I do feel like I would benefit from getting some better headphones than these Koss that came with the E-Trac. I am having some falsing on big nails and trouble pinpointing, it's rarely on target. Not sure if I got a bad coil or what. Going to try the SEF 12x15 next.

Here are finds from wednesday at a Bay Area park

. . . . and a Key that I have never seen before, does anyone know what kind of key this is? :icon_scratch:

Weird Key (From Sunday at Half Moon Bay)
4tlmw9.jpg

y30om.jpg

Mercury Dime Pendant
2a97k41.jpg

21brbiu.jpg

Silver Earring
v7glj4.jpg

Sterling Silver Religious Pendant
2mgtvk.jpg

24vunop.jpg

Silver Australian Coin Ring
2cdg45u.jpg

Wheatbacks
qstx8k.jpg

Thanks for looking!

HH, BeachBumm (Mark)

Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cut Merc is great :icon_thumleft: that must take a steady hand to make ,i think that key is to a safety deposit box at a bank each tumbler has to fall into those circular round depressions on the key its old .Nice finds and video Good Hunting Jim :headbang:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice finds, I would love to find a cut merc or a coin ring like that someday and you found both in one outing, AWESOME, :headbang: Still snowed in here so thanks for sharing !!

TommNJ

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
nice stuff. love the dime! I can't wait to spend more time with my new ETRac too!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have keys like that here in S. Korea. Used for locking up apartments. Very safe and secure.
Great silver finds. Founds lots of Mercs when hunting in the States, but never a cut one. Good job. :thumbsup:

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a cut away merc just like that about 20 yrs ago in Laredo. The key is like we had for our shop building at East Tx State. It was just a regular looking entrance lock. My guess is the holes keep it from being picked.

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
Deepdiger60 said:
That cut Merc is great :icon_thumleft: that must take a steady hand to make ,i think that key is to a safety deposit box at a bank each tumbler has to fall into those circular round depressions on the key its old .Nice finds and video Good Hunting Jim :headbang:

Pretty close. It is called a DIMPLE high security key. Maybe not so old as they are still being used today. Not usually used as a safe deposit lock key ( mind you I say not usually) as safe deposit locks are usually lever tumbler locks. I have to open a few safe deposit boxes around here every year and have never seen one that uses a dimple key, but then again I have not seen or done it all either. The key machine required to make dimple keys is very expensive. As I don't ever get called to make any, I can't justify the cost of having one. HH

Dicks Lock Service

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
nice job on the goodies! I watched the video and you did really good pulling up all the silver. :thumbsup:

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
love that cut merc!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:That is a key from a high security lock,it cannot be duplicated unless its by the manufacturer

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the comments and info. I did a little research today on the coin ring, my local coin shop guy identified that the ring was made from an Australian Florin, featuring King George VI (Minted between 1936-52). "Probably a WWII relic made by a sailor", according to the coin expert.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool key and nice finds... MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread