May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have nearly done this site to death until the next big plough. Once with the small coils & then over it with the larger coils. But we decided it was our best option, & went to some of the edges of the hotspot.

So sticky, I gave up the spade & dug up hand!

11 Roman Coins
Roman Bronze whatzit - might be a steelyard bar :dontknow:
Nice Roman Leather Mount - different design than the usual ones (kinda cresent shaped/bullhead!)

Star find by me, pretty deep & I thought it was another bit of buckle when dug but its a:
Circa 8th Century Saxon Strapend :headbang:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,021
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Great stuff mate :icon_thumleft:

I wish I could struggle for land like you :-\

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:

you have a good site

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

you have a good site

Nothing like your good fields though and I should know :wink:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess it was worth the sticky mud, for a nice total like that. :icon_thumright:

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds, congrats on finding this great site,

HH, Ringfinder

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
neat finds crusader...what do you take with you when detecting...A WHEELBARROW..lol..cheers des

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Des from down under said:
neat finds crusader...what do you take with you when detecting...A WHEELBARROW..lol..cheers des

if you have seen my better days, this is lean times...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
mmm romans-- just starting to play around with em a bit -- since I gotta buy mine "uncleaned" at the coin store for $3 each -- latest one I got and cleaned up was a PROBUS --276 /282 AD --military payroll coin I think --has cornicora shaking hands with probus on rear -- and a V over a line ----under the line is XXI -- which means 5% silver ( still has a few specks of the silver washed color to it )-- out of XX (20) parts - I ( 1) part silver and also on the rear has CONCORD MILIT ( short for MILITARY?) trying to figger out if the V stands for fifth legion (payroll)--or 5th mint group

oh by the way nice finds there -- at $3 a pop that I have to pay for em thats quite a haul. --- but finding them in person must be quite a"priceless" thrill

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
mmm romans-- just starting to play around with em a bit -- since I gotta buy mine "uncleaned" at the coin store for $3 each -- latest one I got and cleaned up was a PROBUS --276 /282 --military payroll coin I think --has cornicopia shaking hands with probus on rear -- and a V over a line ----over XXI -- whuich means 5% silver ( still has a few specks of the silver washed color to it )-- out of XX (20) parts - I ( 1) part silver and also on the rear has MILIT ( short for MILITARY?) trying to figger out if the V stands for fifth legion (payroll)--or 5 mint group

oh by the way nice finds there -- at $3 a pop that I have to pay for em thats quite a haul. --- but finding them in person must be quite a"priceless" thrill
cornicopia is the horn of plenty - do you mean Corncoria? (CONCORD-MILIT)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
opps yes my goof ( brain fart--it happens)-- corncoria - fixed it im my post.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivan salis said:
mmm romans-- just starting to play around with em a bit -- since I gotta buy mine "uncleaned" at the coin store for $3 each -- latest one I got and cleaned up was a PROBUS --276 /282 AD --military payroll coin I think --has cornicora shaking hands with probus on rear -- and a V over a line ----under the line is XXI -- which means 5% silver ( still has a few specks of the silver washed color to it )-- out of XX (20) parts - I ( 1) part silver and also on the rear has CONCORD MILIT ( short for MILITARY?) trying to figger out if the V stands for fifth legion (payroll)--or 5th mint group

find Roman coins ensures that are not current copies .... I began to detect for this reason. ;D

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9:

How many times now have you been to this site :icon_scratch: your cr@p at detecting :laughing9: I'd have to be dragged of there if I were finding stunning strap ends as that :o what puzzels me is the size of coins you find from your Roman sites to the ones I find on mine :dontknow:

SS

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Fantastic finds and those roman coins are great congrats.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
with the crud I had to clean off it -- it best not be a copy :D took long enough to clean it -- I get em uncleaned

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

How many times now have you been to this site :icon_scratch: your cr@p at detecting :laughing9: I'd have to be dragged of there if I were finding stunning strap ends as that :o what puzzels me is the size of coins you find from your Roman sites to the ones I find on mine :dontknow:

SS

dragged would have been a problem with the ton of mud attached, I nearly became part of the field. I had the big coil on today & the strapend was a iffy/deep signal. It would have only taken Dad to miss it or me with the smaller coil, plus it was on the edge of the site on an area not covered as much as the rest. Its hard to find a nail or a scrap of lead at the moment, we need a deep plough :P

How do you mean coin size? They are all small, 4th century mostly (20mm largest).

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

dragged would have been a problem with the ton of mud attached, I nearly became part of the field. I had the big coil on today & the strapend was a iffy/deep signal. It would have only taken Dad to miss it or me with the smaller coil, plus it was on the edge of the site on an area not covered as much as the rest. Its hard to find a nail or a scrap of lead at the moment, we need a deep plough :P

How do you mean coin size? They are all small, 4th century mostly (20mm largest).
The majority of the ones I find are way smaller than 20mm :dontknow: 20mm would classed as quite large for our site, apart from the Roman road Deere street, were large sestertius and outher coins, like folises seem to be found, I guess that's down to the large troop movement along the road :dontknow:

SS

SS

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

The majority of the ones I find are way smaller than 20mm :dontknow: 20mm would classed as quite large for our site, apart from the Roman road Deere street, were large sestertius and outher coins, like folises seem to be found, I guess that's down to the large troop movement along the road :dontknow:

SS

SS
Interesting, as this is a late site it has lots of minums & AE4 etc but it has its fair share of Follis, half centenionalis & centenionalis. But only 2 dupondis, couple of AS & 1 Sestertius, out of about 250 of this site. As we have size & weight plus GPS reference for every Roman coin we can start to understand the different sites, but its early days & we look forward to hitting to new ones this year :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread