nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got a chance to get out a couple hours today, So I hit the old homesite that me and HB hunted yesterday and I was able to find a knife that needs some good frying, a ring with part of a chain, some decorative piece that is broke off the one side and it looks like a top part of something, stirrup? I also found a German silver R mark Surgeons Foot brace that reads: Arrowsmith mfg co. and not sure how old, but I would think at least around 1900.
The cows decided that I stayed long enough, so the herd took over the site and I went on to a Home that I have been doing some work in and I spent about 30 minutes there with recovering a 1936 Buffalo nickle and a 1956 Silver dime that I will give to the homeowner for granting me permission to Detect. It was another fun day and hopefully it will dry out soon, so We can get out more in the fields to hit some older homesites.

Bill

Attachments

• Foot piece and other relics 001.jpg
    Foot piece and other relics 001.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 735
  • Foot piece and other relics 002.jpg
    Foot piece and other relics 002.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 733
Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nova, I believe your knife is a file that had the end snapped off. Looks like you found a side of a stirrup as well. Congrats on the silver Rosie and the Buff.

HB

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Bill. I agree with HB on all comments. The home where the stirrup came from needs close hunting even though it looks civilian.
Cattle won't disturb your hunting. Last year, Dman and I were hunting a U.S. CW training camp in Southern Kentucky. The field we hunted in was occupied by 45 or 50 large Holstein calves. I looked back one time when Dman was digging a signal and he was totally surrounded by calves. He never missed a beat. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hill Billy said:
Nova, I believe your knife is a file that had the end snapped off. Looks like you found a side of a stirrup as well. Congrats on the silver Rosie and the Buff.

HB

Yes sir you are correct, it is a broke file, I should have looked at it alittle more last night and would have seen it didn't have a edge through all the corrosion, but the kids took the pics for me and I missed the id.
Thanks Bill

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Nice finds Bill. I agree with HB on all comments. The home where the stirrup came from needs close hunting even though it looks civilian.
Cattle won't disturb your hunting. Last year, Dman and I were hunting a U.S. CW training camp in Southern Kentucky. The field we hunted in was occupied by 45 or 50 large Holstein calves. I looked back one time when Dman was digging a signal and he was totally surrounded by calves. He never missed a beat. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy, We do plan on hunting here again, I found the CW Staff button there, so it is a good sign for various relics to be found. I usually don't mind the cows either but there was some young bulls that liked to show off and I knew they was getting better traction than me in all the mud,lol.

Bill

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
That's a good start out there and good for you for giving the owner that Rosie. I am sure they will appreciate the gesture.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, young Holstein calves and proud bulls are cuts off of two different trees. You did the wisest thing, IMHO.
I worked at a dairy, and the calves were just fun.....but the bulls just didn't know when to stop showing off.
Good finds. Great hunting in 2010. :thumbsup:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Hill Billy is right the one piece is part of a sturrip and looks to be early. Cows are just plain nosey and like someone else said will surround you sometimes. Young bulls like to play and will charge and usually stop at the last minute. I had some head butting the bumper on my old pickup a while back.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That file looks like a real bassterd (intentional spelling) :laughing7:

DISCLAIMER: A bassterd file is a file whose teeth configuration is in between a rough or coarse file and a 'second cut' file. In precise terms therefore a bassterd file is one which 'is one cut finer than that of a coarse file'.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GopherDaGold said:
That file looks like a real bassterd (intentional spelling) :laughing7:

DISCLAIMER: A bassterd file is a file whose teeth configuration is in between a rough or coarse file and a 'second cut' file. In precise terms therefore a bassterd file is one which 'is one cut finer than that of a coarse file'.

Thanks Gopher, I know it was a real Bassterd digging it out of the buried brick from the old homesite :laughing7:.

Bill

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I tried the correct spelling but the automatic forum 'powers that be' decided it was too mature for our wee eyes, :laughing7:

Besides, I really just wanted to post as a brand new CHARTER MEMBER!! Yeah! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread