is it possible....you decide (pic hvy)

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Here is a ring I found last weekend at my wifes' old family place. By old family place, I mean great grandparents back to 1860's. They all are long lived. Her Grannie Long was born in 1895 and lived to the ripe old age of 103.

This is what it looked like when pulled out from under 8" of dirt.
DSC01030.jpg

I was trying to clean this with silver polish at a suggestion from Ray in Ca. It didn't do a thing. I will give him much credit for suggesting that there was nothing lost by trying to clean this mess. I thought I could discern the slightest look of some kind of color with a jewelers' magnifying glass. So I got out the heavy equipment. (dremel tool and associated equipment my DIL had)

DSC01046.jpg

WTH? I kept at it, looked like something was indeed transpiring...

DSC01049.jpg

The more work, the better it was looking...by this time I am shaking my head...

DSC01052.jpg

I wrapped the outside with tape so I could hold it and work the inside...

DSC01054.jpg

leaned up against a block of jewelers rouge...

Still polishing...

DSC01056.jpg

work in progress...

DSC01058.jpg

My lovely wifes' new occupation as a hand model. Ring is on index finger.

DSC01059.jpg

Next thing is trip to jewelers' for verification. No markings of any kind on ring. This would be a first for me. (If it is AU) I thought it rang up as silver on the SE, but may have confused it with another object I dug that day.
Thanks for bearing with me, but I am pumped.

BW

Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a lovely au ring to me. I loved the way that cleaned up too :icon_thumleft:

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would gold tarnish like that? i only found 3 pieces of gold (last week) and all of them were shiney and just dirty when removed from the ground, but then again, all my gold pieces were recently droped (assuming so caz they were all under 2.5 inches).
maby brass?

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool ring hope it is real!!!!!!!!!MR TUFF

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Very nice!!! Best part of this is that I have a ring sitting on my desk that I found this past fall in the exact same shape. I went out to the garage and got my dremel and lo and behold, i discovered gold as well. I don't have jewelers rouge but intend on visiting a jeweler friend tomorrow to find out more about this.

Sure am glad I decided to hold on to this!!!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure looks like fire blackened gold to me i have seen it before on a ring Nice find :thumbsup: Good Hunting

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable!!! You did a fantastic clean up job on that ring. I would have never guessed there was silver under there. :hello2:
Beauty!
Congrats,
MM

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bravowhisky, Nice family keepsake , apprec. u sharing of your time and effort to restore the ring. Dremel tools are great . Enjoy and Granny would be proud. 8)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Looks like gold to me, too. It is good that it is staying in the family...Great job with the cleaning.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like brass. Polished brass that is. You could do the same thing with pretty much anything you dig made of brass.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats even if its not gold its a nice old ring find, but looks like gold to me.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was kinda thinking brass myself. But who knows. Great find and good job bringing it back to life. :thumbsup:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup brass. Sorry!

I've done the same with most of my brass rings and a dremel tool. Polished brass looks a lot like gold.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You sure did a beautiful job cleaning that ring and it looks so GOOD! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

But ... if it were gold you wouldn't need to work so hard to polish it up. Look at some of the 1000 year old gold coins and objects, especially the UK and it just needs a rinse in water.

A few months ago I found a 14K (marked) ring which was in an ocean environment buried in wet sand for possibly 50 years. Herre's a link from the "Cleaning" site: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,277459.0.html

How I finally cleaned it is a 5 minute soak in HCL (hydrochloric acid for swimming pool use) and then a polish with baking soda .. no freckles.

HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread