A Ring popped out today

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That one looks too nice to be silver-- sure it isn't white gold?? Did you clean it (other than washing it off)? You might take it to a jeweler and have them look at it.? Good luck!? 8)

OP
OP
R

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
All I did was wash it off with warm water and pretty much all the dirt came right off. It is not marked as far as I can tell but it registers at the quarter level on the gti-1500. I do not have any of those kits to test it.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The reason I think it might be gold is because the 'Philippines' band across the top looks like gold. Sometimes they mix yellow with white gold, and it is more common to see that than gold on silver (at least in my part of the world). The way the metal is engraved also suggests gold.

How deep was it? What kind of soil? Silver usually turns black from sulfur in the soil over time, and I don't see any hint of tarnish in your picture. Plated junk or pot metal tends to blister or peel in the ground as well. You would see that with a magnifier.

Another way you can tell is by doing a density test-- gold is heavier than silver per unit volume. If you can't do this, any jewelery shop would have someone who could test it and tell you for sure.

OP
OP
R

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I do not have anything to do a density test. I thought that the philippines part might be gold but I have no idea. I dont really know any jewelers so it would cost me to get it looked at and since there is no valuable diamonds or other stones in it it probably is not worth it. As far as what kind of soil it was in I have no clue it was just dirt to me. As far as how deep it was it was at about 5" down. I was lucky enough for the people to cut the grass at this old cigar factory in town and I was ready to pack it in after digging several junk items. Thanks for all the help lab rat. Rich

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typically if this ring had been in the ground at 5" it was there a long time. If it was silver it would be black by now. Any mall jeweler will test it for free. If they charge you for this, they are ripping you off. You don't have a jeweler around where you live? This has got to be gold.

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
most excellent find richg... I agree with lab rat I would take it in to be looked at. great job and HH dave

OP
OP
R

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
There are jewelers up the mall, I never took anything to them because I thought they charge for this. I will probably take it up to get it tested being that everyone thinks it is gold. I will post results after I get it tested. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread