Walking Half, mercury, wheats, .......UPDATED WITH PICS!!!!

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Sorry guys, went to use the digital camera, and discovered it has been dropped pretty hard and not working. I will have to get another soon. I suspect it happened when we had a babysitter Friday night, and we came home to what looked like? hurricane Katrina.

I wanted to go to some of the old abandoned farms today, but with as cold as it was here, and rain last night, I just knew there was snow up there ( I'm at 700ft above sea level, farm sites are above 3000ft) So I went to Triangle park. With it only being a block from home, it gave me a lot more swing time.

I ended up with my first half dollar coin! a 1934 Walking Liberty half!!! It's pretty worn, but everything is readable. Either way, it's a keeper. I found a beautiful 1942 Mercury dime! This is the best looking coin I have ever seen come out of the ground, it looks flawless! I mean it really looks beautiful! Mercury dimes are by far my favorite coin. It was in the same hole as the 1945, and 1945d wheaties. I found the first wheatie, scanned the hole again, BEEP....another wheatie, scanned the hole again, BEEP....then the Merc! I also dug 6 wheat cents...1929s, 1941s, 1945, 1945d (those were with the Merc), 1914, and 1913. All of these are in very very good shape as far as wear goes. all of the details are very sharp. The 1929s has a tiny bit of wear.

As for relics, I found a cool little pocket knife that looks like it was silver plated, and has some great engravings on it, but the steel parts are pretty corroded. I found a skeleton key (works in the doors in my house) and a shell casing that is head stamper "WRA 30 Mauser" it was for a broom handle Mauser pistol (looked it up)

I will try to get some pictures up if I can

Paul

Attachments

• IM000068.jpg
    IM000068.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 348
Upvote 0

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Dude! You are gettin hot with that machine. I'm gonna be hard put to keep up when ever we manage to get together. We will have to see if we can drag Big Mo into our party when the time comes. He is from Pendleton & I just discoverd that he works at the same facility as my Son-in law. They have met & detecting came up & it was discoverd that we live in a small world around here.
Congrats on the Walker & the Merc. I agree that Merc's are neat but Walkers are fantastic also.
Spotz

D

del40

Great looking coins there!
I would love to find a walking liberty!
I too really like the Mercury dimes.
Good luck & HH

Don

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I really don't have much as far as competition goes. There is one guy I see with an XLT once in a while, but the way he uses it, I am surprised he finds anything at all. He keeps his coil about 6 inches off the ground, spaces his sweeps about a foot apart, and angles the ends of his sweeps up like a golf club! I actually talked to him once, with the intention of giving some pointers, but figured out real quick that he is one of those know it all types. Oh well, guess I'll just pick up what he misses.
It would be nice to have a few other detectorist in the area to get together with. I am going to put together a few outings at the abandoned farm sites this summer, and the invitation will be open to everyone here as well.

Paul

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
WTG! on your first silver half and a Walking Liberty no less.That Mercury dime sure does shine even on your make do picture.She's a beauty! Nice relics too. HH!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Sign me up for your summer outings! No JK - little too far to go for a MD trip. ;) If I was within 2 hrs I would love to be there. I usually hunt with my son who is 16. Sometimes I go solo. When I go solo I get very impatient. The extra person really adds to the overall enjoyment of the hobby.

Mirage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread