Old hotel key

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I am posting this for a friend of mine who got this from a schoolyard. The school is new. I guess it got uncovered when the bulldozers went to work building the school. This is in SW Ga., but the key appears to be foreign (Antwerp). There is no local town of Antwerp around me to my knowledge. Is this something of value? We thought about trying to straighten it out between a couple of blocks of wood in a vice, but wanted to get some opinions first. It's big and heavy compared to a regular key.

Attachments

• IMG_01150.jpg
    IMG_01150.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_011600.jpg
    IMG_011600.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 413
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find! Might be more good stuff there!

;)

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max

Attachments

• antwerp.jpg
    antwerp.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 397

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same as Wetgreenie, & found the same thing. Wet just posted the info right when I got ready to hit the post.

Who knows? It is a interesting key.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thanks guys! You have found the exact pages I found in my search too. I guess there's not much info about it on the net. I can go with the idea that the hotel may have and likey has changed names by now. I wonder if it's that hilton?! Wow, that's a nice place, and old too!

privet12

Oct 31, 2005
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
If it is a soft metal then it can be straightend but if it is some kind of cast metal then it could break it I would find out if it has any real value and if not then i would try to straighten it. It is a very neat looking key at least take care Noel

BOB VALDEZ

Jan 8, 2006
Wetgreenie said:
Maybe Bob V from Belgium can help?

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium will try to find something on this matter. Just give me some time. Spent the whole day fixing my caches (geocaching ! Made 199 caches in Belgium and maintaining them is some business... Had even a flat tyre, on my way home... But had a very good day, did lots & lots of work. But NO detecting, today (snif))

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes you wonder how such a strong key can bend like that..... The old keys were normally made from cast brass and could withstand be bend back into shape.... but take care. I also have some old keys, but these do not generally bring in much money as there were so many made.

God bless
Peter

BOB VALDEZ

Jan 8, 2006
BELGIAN KEY ? Only "maybe"...

LS,

There are 3 official languages in Belgium. Now, in 2006. Let's say for 60% of the people (= 6.000.000) the first language is FLEMISH (+/- Dutch). For about 40% of the people (4.000.000) FRENCH is the first language. And for a small minority it is GERMAN.

"Antwerp" is the name foreigners (English speaking, that is) give to this important city. We call it ANTWERPEN, and in French it is ANVERS. The French language was considered "chique" for a very long time (even in Flanders !), Flemish was like the language for peasants. This changed only recently, like 40-30 years ago.

Now, this key is OLD. If it would really be from Belgium, the place would have been (I think) "Anvers" or - just maybe - "Antwerpen", marked on that key. But then of course, ANTWERP has for many centuries been an important international harbour (Napoleon considered the river DE SCHELDE, on which banks Antwerpen is located a "loaded gun on London" !) so it IS possible that some hotelowner wrote ANTWERP on his keys. But this seems unlikely to me.

But then, of course, there could have been a place ANTWERP ANYWHERE. How many places in the US also exist in Spain, Germany, Holland, France ? Do you know that... HOBOKEN is in Belgium ? About 7 kilometers from... Antwerp ? And it is MUCH older then Hoboken in the US ! New Orleans ? Is a French name ! There is a place in France where they burned Jeanne D'Arc. Yes, in Orl?ans. So, the immigrants made... Nouvelle Orl?ans. B?ton Rouge is French and means RED STICK, etc.

So, I think the key belongs to a hotel in a place called ANTWERP, but th?t hotel was NOT in Belgium.

At least : that is what I (!) think. No more, no less.

Greetings from Belgium !

BOB VALDEZ

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Great info Bob! Thank you for your time. I'll see what I come up with as far as national towns named Antwerp.

Oct 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

By accident I found your post about the old hotel key. I live in Antwerp, Belgium.
I think it's original from an old Antwerp hotel which doesn't exist anymore (it was demolished in 1969).
My mother in law has very fond childhood memories of this hotel.
Would you consider selling the old key? It would make a great X-Mas gift for my mother in law.

Thanks for your answer.

Petra Couck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread