1907.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 545
Upvote 0

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Very lovely nickel, and great finds. I'm not sure about your detector, Mine nickel sits between scrap/foil and pull tab. IT might read a nickel and while pinpointing it may jumps to scrap or pull tab. So now I have to decide do I dig it or not. And some of the others here probably have the same thing or they set their discrimination up high and discriminate out the nickels and pull tabs. I have found a few nickels. But there are times it turned out to be pull tabs. So most the times I just dig good signals and figure I"ll come back later and start digging the all signals.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nickels are certainly harder to find than other coinage probably because they are discriminated out so often, but V nickels rock nice find!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
i know my dfx is a nickle magnet!! 15-20 vdi ive found more nickles than anything else. buffs -shields- vs- war nickles. id be happy with the one you have. ;D willy

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels will read pull tab. Just watch what it reads and watch what the pull tb reads and you should be able to tell before you dig. The nickel will give a different sound then the pull tab also. I find lots of nickels with my DFX.....

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I'm with Mlayers on this.
I love finding nickels. I still dig a load of junque on nickel hits, but have found many buffs and V's last season by digging those signals.
I know many guys don't want to waste the time and effort chasing nickel signals burried in tabs and can slaw, and I can well understand that! Some of the guys I hunt with discriminate out that segment and don't want to spend their time digging more crappe than they have to. While I can understand it I just can't see walking over old nickels and leaving them behind while I dig up pennies.

Congrats on the V!
Good Luck,
Mark

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey, congrats on that great first!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lots of hunters pass on the nickel signals because they're locking in on silver and don't want to dig pull tabs. Every time I bring a buff or a V home, I keep asking myself why I do it because they are a real pain to clean and I do clean them all. Then I remember the thrill I got when I found it & I know why I dig them!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments... yeah I dig more trash to find the nickles... but I also find more interesting things in doing so... well worth it IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread