Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KG coppers

Hi All, Went over some old ground where I had previous luck finding early US & colonial coins. I was hell bent on finding an old copper or any coin that may be out here ..Finally.. First King George's for 2010!!! Mucky soil must have added to penetration , cause these were deep. Found today KG 1787 Britainnia " Machin Mills" NY , ID'ed by Iron Patch ,Kirk PA.. Thanks also a KG 1787 Britainnia , bronze button with LONDON on the backmark . Dug 3 more flat buttons and alot of square nails .Ready to call it because of cold feet ..try this scratchy tone signal ,could be a button ??? . Wouldn't you know it , out pops a Georgian era bronze ring ! id by tuatara, Thanks& Thanks for taking a look , CMD

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 1,348
  • 100_1151.jpg
    100_1151.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,337
  • 100_1158.jpg
    100_1158.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,265
  • 1787.jpg
    1787.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 100_1202.jpg
    100_1202.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 580
  • mm1192.jpg
    mm1192.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 583
  • mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 581
  • 100_1153.jpg
    100_1153.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 507
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: KG copper

Awesome!!! I need a King George copper badly or I am going to the nearest mental ward for therapy. :laughing7: That first KG looks like a Machins Mills. :dontknow: If it has a date of 1787, it possibly could be, but we would need a better picture.

You have my Colonial passion at a craze now. :headbang:

Did you find the coppers at the waterline? :dontknow: If so, sweet! :icon_sunny:

Kirk

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice keepers CMDiamonddawg :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: The ring is awesome :hello2:

Looks like a cool spot to hunt :icon_thumleft:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Nice looking coppers and other finds, Congrats !!!

TommNJ

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

Kirk PA said:
Awesome!!! I need a King George copper badly or I am going to the nearest mental ward for therapy. :laughing7: That first KG looks like a Machins Mills. :dontknow: If it has a date of 1787, it possibly could be, but we would need a better picture.

Did you find the coppers at the waterline? :dontknow: If so, sweet! :icon_sunny:

Kirk
I'm sure once Don see this he'll have a good idea if it's a machin mills... CMDiamonddawg it would help all those trying to id this coin if you could post weight in grams or grains an size if possible... that way they'll know if it's a regal or counterfeit coin

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:

Kirk
Hey Kirk Hope this is good medicine for you PA copper hounds .Machin Mills , :sign13: I think they are both the same :dontknow: I'll try to get a better picture .1787 was found six foot from the water . Hand split cedar shingles were made here ,back in the 1700's. It was snowing today but didn't mean a thang ,when your copper hungry. :laughing7: Thanks for the comments .. creeper ,my scale is broken . I'll try to find get weight for ya.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1787 looks like a pretty good match for the M. Mills. I don't think the other would be dated 1789.

Pewter button with London on the back? You sure it's pewter?

Interesting ring too! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1787_vlack_17_87A_rev.jpg
    1787_vlack_17_87A_rev.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,125
  • 1787_vlack_17_87A_obv.jpg
    1787_vlack_17_87A_obv.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 1787_vlack_17_87A_rev.jpg
    1787_vlack_17_87A_rev.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,113
  • 1787_vlack_17_87A_obv.jpg
    1787_vlack_17_87A_obv.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,120

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Good lord, I sure wish I could find an old copper like that. I think I may have to travel a bit further east for those though. Great find. jgas

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding COPPERS !!! GOOD FOR YOU !! MaineRelic.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

There is always a place in my heart for coppers! The one has Machin Mills written all over it! I am pulling for you!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
There is always a place in my heart for coppers! The one has Machin Mills written all over it! I am pulling for you!

I think it's safe to save the pulling for yourself. ;D (The 1787 date would be very rare for a British counterfeit, and even if so, the bust would not be that close of a match)

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
KylePA said:

I think it's safe to save the pulling for yourself. ;D (The 1787 date would be very rare for a British counterfeit, and even if so, the bust would not be that close of a match)
;D Who is pullin , what :laughing7: .. IP , both date 1787 the one coin date is faint but it is the same . The button looks pewter but peroxide has it turning green . Brass ???

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CMDiamonddawg said:
Iron Patch said:
KylePA said:

;D Who is pullin ,what :laughing7: .. IP , both date 1787 the one coin date is faint but it is the same . The button looks pewter but peroxide has it turning green .

Are you 100% sure the other is 1787? If so this appears to be the closest. Maybe check the position of the V & S, there's quite a space. If you got the space, then look at the style of the letters and if they're in the same spot relating to the top/back of his head.

PS... I don't find it to really match the M. Mills busts so if it is 1787 my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Attachments

• machins_mills_vlack_19_87C_obv.jpg
    machins_mills_vlack_19_87C_obv.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • machins_mills_vlack_19_87C_rev.jpg
    machins_mills_vlack_19_87C_rev.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,005

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds

Very nice digs CM , those are some sweet coppers!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
Iron Patch said:
KylePA said:

;D Who is pullin ,what :laughing7: .. IP , both date 1787 the one coin date is faint but it is the same . The button looks pewter but peroxide has it turning green .

Are you 100% sure the other is 1787? If so this appears to be the closest. Maybe check the position of the V & S, there's quite a space. If you got the space, then look at the style of the letters and if they're in the same spot relating to the top/back of his head.

PS... I don't find it to really match the M. Mills busts so if it is 1787 my eyes are playing tricks on me.
I looked at thru a loop ..the last digit is either a 7 or a 9 ...95 % sure it's 7 To meboth busts and letter spacing, look like the first coin you posted. The worst cond. coin, still needs a bath. Thanks for your help .

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CMDiamonddawg said:
Iron Patch said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
Iron Patch said:
KylePA said:

I looked at thru a loop ..the last digit is either a 7 or a 9 The busts are hard to compare, seems like a difference

Because it's tough to see, and the busts don't seem to match, I'd say it's a British George III. (1770-1775)

U

umrgolf

Looks like the dawg did some quality digging today :headbang:

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf2000 said:
Looks like the dawg did some quality digging today :headbang:
Hey Jeff ,three quality the other is a eye ache .IP can see them, better than myself and the coins are in NJ ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread