Last nights 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(long)

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Last night's 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(long)

I think this story/adventure goes to "something" we all have experienced in this awesome hobby or you will experience if you stick with it.....

I'm going to keep last night's adventure as unwordy as possible without losing the effect....and I also know this comes on the heels of some pretty great finds of late for me...and I'm sure for Mark G. too......but to be quite honest we've been hunting hard and I'm a firm believer in the definition of luck being when hard work and opportunity meet.

Mark G. told me about this old beach on the Delaware River that his Dad and Uncle used to go to....so we went to it.....looked like an old beach to me with nice sand, some humongous trees, a ton of trash (this entire region sadly is infested with trash), a gradual incline, etc......so we started out in the dark at around 6:30 and hunted for a good 2 hours and got nothing other than pure trash...not even an old sinker..Mark said it was a prime fishing spot for Shad too...

To add injury to insult on the way in Mark fell in a stream flowing down into the Delaware and his headlight blew a diode or two......me I'm just thoroughly burned out from hunting way too much.......

Well Mark says the proverbial let's get out of here...well he actually said something alot more flowery and not for kids to hear....and I was all with him.....both our wives are home watching 24 and I had told mine I'd see her for
that.

Mark's detector is off and he's heading up the trail and I'm walking on a different route out with my detector on and basically like a zombie pushing the coil around.......get a beep... foot aside a bunch of leaves, loose dirt....
swing again and look at the meter.....yea ok nother piece o' crap......stick my lesche in pop up some dirt....push dirt around ready to leave....wait round silver object.....probably a rosie..maybe Barber....hey Mark wait a second...pick it up ...I THINK ITS A SEATED.....YEA YEA BOTH ARMS OVER MY HEAD PUMPING now!.....MARK RUNS DOWN THE TRAIL ........GRABs it OUT OF MY HANDS CAUSE I NEED BIFOCALS.......(you had to be there)..

He's like 1876........and its in as good a shape as I have ever found........I could have left right then and there. honestly being burnt and then getting high is exhaustng.....

Swing the coil again same spot I'm like Mark I think something else is here.........

We worked hard and keep diggining and swinginng and cutting roots.......the 1862 Silver Canadian 10 cent piece was barely a whisper.... I was shocked....saw it better than I actually heard it..

We started saying okay alternate finds and the total was 6 Shields dated: 1867 no rays, 1870,1876, 1867 with rays, 1868,1869......2 seated dimes the 1876 in unbelieveable shape and an 1853 in almost as good....and the canuck '62 which turns out to be some sort of special...they were made in 1864 and 1862.....New Brunswick addition.

The pics are below....we think we got everything.....there was some form of marker right where they were...large stone or cement marker which looked to me to have association to a property.....

I am totally curious now about this whole area....am going to take a bunch of pics to help this story....
You have to see this place at night and imagine someone or several people there....what were they doing....who were they....what happened to them..........aloha johny mc.

Attachments

• SL550351.JPG
    SL550351.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 860
  • SL550346.JPG
    SL550346.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 839
Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: Last night's 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(long)

Very Very nice find, WTG!!!
I would definitely be hitting that site again, and again, and a...
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Wonder how often we have all made our day with a find on the trip out of an area?
Some of my best finds have been that way, get ready to leave and BAM!... :) The cache find was that way... :)
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Last night's 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(long)

That's unbelievable ,very sweet find's.Look's like the detector god's had your number.Great job and Thank's for sharing.HH!!

L

lancemxt2006

Re: Last night's 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(lon

hey John, i just was checking to see what your Canadian dime was worth in my book because i have found one a wile back and it had a very low mintage. when i looked for the 1862 though there was no listing that there was one even printed that year.

you better get that one checked because that might be a really rare coin. i don't even have a listing for it. the dates the book list the dime for is from 1858 to 1870.

ill through a pic up real quick...

great finds by the way. i love to find mini caches like that. i dug a hole once with 3 v-nickels and a barber quarter.

ohhh what a feeling'

HH, Lance

Attachments

• canadian dime listing.jpg
    canadian dime listing.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 536

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the great replys. John is a much better story teller than me. He was very generous letting me pull coins with him after I had given up. We were shoulder to shoulder with detectors, shovels and pinpointers flying.
This was truly my best hunt. I was out last night and John this morning......no word from hin yet but I know an update to the story is on the way.
Good luck hunting
Mark G

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Good one, great story, nice finds.

OP
OP
J

johny mc.

May 18, 2005

Thank you to everybody to took the time to respond....... alot of great people in metal detecting....great down to earth people...no pun intended...aloha johny mc.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

Congrats, On Your Great Finds, Sounds Like An Excellent Site There. trk5capt...

Shutterbug

Nov 6, 2004

WOW! That's enough to get your heart racing!!!! I'll bet there are more good finds in that same vicinity.... Keep us up to date if you find more!

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats Johnny and Mark on your great cache find ! Enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. Keep us posted on any further developments. Good Luck !

Huntin' 59er

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread