Last nights 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(long)

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Last night's 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(long)

I think this story/adventure goes to "something" we all have experienced in this awesome hobby or you will experience if you stick with it.....

I'm going to keep last night's adventure as unwordy as possible without losing the effect....and I also know this comes on the heels of some pretty great finds of late for me...and I'm sure for Mark G. too......but to be quite honest we've been hunting hard and I'm a firm believer in the definition of luck being when hard work and opportunity meet.

Mark G. told me about this old beach on the Delaware River that his Dad and Uncle used to go to....so we went to it.....looked like an old beach to me with nice sand, some humongous trees, a ton of trash (this entire region sadly is infested with trash), a gradual incline, etc......so we started out in the dark at around 6:30 and hunted for a good 2 hours and got nothing other than pure trash...not even an old sinker..Mark said it was a prime fishing spot for Shad too...

To add injury to insult on the way in Mark fell in a stream flowing down into the Delaware and his headlight blew a diode or two......me I'm just thoroughly burned out from hunting way too much.......

Well Mark says the proverbial let's get out of here...well he actually said something alot more flowery and not for kids to hear....and I was all with him.....both our wives are home watching 24 and I had told mine I'd see her for
that.

Mark's detector is off and he's heading up the trail and I'm walking on a different route out with my detector on and basically like a zombie pushing the coil around.......get a beep... foot aside a bunch of leaves, loose dirt....
swing again and look at the meter.....yea ok nother piece o' crap......stick my lesche in pop up some dirt....push dirt around ready to leave....wait round silver object.....probably a rosie..maybe Barber....hey Mark wait a second...pick it up ...I THINK ITS A SEATED.....YEA YEA BOTH ARMS OVER MY HEAD PUMPING now!.....MARK RUNS DOWN THE TRAIL ........GRABs it OUT OF MY HANDS CAUSE I NEED BIFOCALS.......(you had to be there)..

He's like 1876........and its in as good a shape as I have ever found........I could have left right then and there. honestly being burnt and then getting high is exhaustng.....

Swing the coil again same spot I'm like Mark I think something else is here.........

We worked hard and keep diggining and swinginng and cutting roots.......the 1862 Silver Canadian 10 cent piece was barely a whisper.... I was shocked....saw it better than I actually heard it..

We started saying okay alternate finds and the total was 6 Shields dated: 1867 no rays, 1870,1876, 1867 with rays, 1868,1869......2 seated dimes the 1876 in unbelieveable shape and an 1853 in almost as good....and the canuck '62 which turns out to be some sort of special...they were made in 1864 and 1862.....New Brunswick addition.

The pics are below....we think we got everything.....there was some form of marker right where they were...large stone or cement marker which looked to me to have association to a property.....

I am totally curious now about this whole area....am going to take a bunch of pics to help this story....
You have to see this place at night and imagine someone or several people there....what were they doing....who were they....what happened to them..........aloha johny mc.

Attachments

• SL550351.JPG
    SL550351.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 860
  • SL550346.JPG
    SL550346.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 839
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Last night's 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(long)

Congrats on the great silver, very nice! HH, Mike

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Last night's 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(lon

Holy moly johnny mc.! What a find! That's one you'll remember the rest of your life. Congratulations.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Re: Last night's 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(lon

WOW, AWESOME! :o Like your write up too. I have yet to find any of those coins. It's amazing that so many of these stories are still happening. Way to go and thanks for the post.

You know this hobby is kinda like fishing. I get people who go out fishing once in a while and most of the time they do "ok" or poorly. You have to do your time to be there when it's hot. Metal detecting is the same way. You can't just go out once in a while and expect to score. Gotta do your time. ;D

Only question, why at night?

OP
OP
J

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Re: Last night's 9 coin cache- one of my top moments in this hobby/sport....(long)

Mirage- thanks for asking...I own a store and close after dark and Mark doesn't get relief to take his daughter till after 5:30...also some of the areas we hunt you want to consider having a partner around...we hunt solo at night but I personnally don't carry a handgun..so its more convenient @ night. It's also a different experience than hunting during the day.

www.theadventurelodge.com

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Johny,

Is the http://www.theadventurelodge.com your store? Where are you located?

David

P.S. Yes they're great finds and an awesome story. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

amazing stuff!

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT

Nice multiple coin hit -- some real goodies in that bunch.

Don't you wish the signals would have never ended!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

J,

good story, nice finds.

Wonder how often we have all made our day with a find on the trip out of an area?

have a good un.........

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"I'm a firm believer in the definition of luck being when hard work and opportunity meet."
?Sometimes you just have to wait until you fall down before you can get up.

Very nice finds.
?Sounds like you guys have put your time in...........

Kermit

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac

Johny,

Let me add my congrats as well on some excellent finds. I tried clicking on your website and nothing comes up. Just thought I'd mention it.

HH!

-Hunter

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State

Super finds, congrats. I guess it always pays to keep that deterctor on all the way to the car.

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

That is a very cool find. I can only dream.

I can just see a group of kids with a nickel each, a dime for brothers, deciding to go for a swim. They decide to hide their money and later can't find it. Their loss, your gain.

Congrats.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Absolutely FANTASTIC!! Congratulations! I found four silver coins in one hole once, but they were from 1940-1960. Your's are awesome.

Great find and continued success.

Jeff

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I once compared treasure hunting to golf. You go out and play 18 holes and hit a multitude of lousy shots. Then you find the sweet spot just once and it's enough to bring you back for more. You hit the sweet spot for sure. This deserves an Excellent! Monty

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Johnny, You will remember that night forever especially how you felt when you started pulling those beauties out of the ground.

Great story. Congratulations!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WoW Johny Mack!

I can't belive she watched 24 without you! :-\ ;D

You know those are some awesome finds! Ya'll did really good! 8)

Beautiful finds you two!

;)

Chester Copper Pot

Apr 16, 2005
WI
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro

Frozen ground here means lurking in the shadows on this site. This is one of the top finds I have read of in months. Great finds guys!!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Incredible finds guys!! Those coins are beautiful, and to find them all in one hole is fantastic!

It was tradition in the old days for folks to bury a coin at the cornerstone of a new home or building for luck, I would not be suprised if that tradition also included dedication markers and memorials as well.

Congrats again on an outstanding find!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread