Trade Token - Need Help on ID and mini review on 12x15 SEF

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had an adventurous dig on a turn of the century Trade Token over the weekend. I found it in Oakland, CA.

I did some research on this Trade Token I found on Sunday in Oakland (Me & Cal_Cobra picked up a little Silver as well).

Can't find it anywhere online or in books.

Says "GOOD FOR 5¢ IN TRADE" on one side and "L. & W."

Have not really tried to clean it much yet, any tips??

2h2qyya.jpg

11t7e37.jpg

So, anyways, I ended up retireving at around 8" deep but I was Very Impressed with the E-Trac and my ears for digging this signal. :icon_sunny: I was getting an ocassional solid tone (12-13) on it at one angle, however when I would turn any other direction it would either null completely or bounce like crazy at 12-28ish. I was thinking Shield nickel or a gold coin sideways. When I pinpointed it didn't sound so sharp anymore and I nearly walked away a few times. It was my first target at a new spot that dates to pre-1860. When I dug the hole I immediately felt my lesche hit something, once I got down to about 6" I pulled out a huge piece of soft lead in the wall of the hole. Then started using the pinpointer to find this token at 8" right in the middle of my hole. I went over to find Brian (Cal_Cobra) to show him the giant piece of lead and tell him how impressed I was that the ET heard that Token under a huge piece of lead. We scanned the lead and it was 12-30. So I wonder how many machines had worked right over this target and either didn't hear it as a desireable target or decided it sounded to iffy for a nickel. On a side note, later targets there were showing the ground to be full of broken glass from the turn of the Century.

Guys, I know you have heard several of us talk about the SEF coils and in this case the SEF 12"x15" but I just want to say that this coil is the real deal, it is a bit heavy and embarassing to use in a crowded park due to how proportionally large it looks on the business end of the ET. I have had one of my TH buddies ask me not to use it in parks near him because it seriously looks like it would raise concerns from any Parks & Rec guy who might see you on his grass automatically assuming that you are going to be digging trenches looking for a tomb or burial chamber! :icon_farao: :

But rather than do a full review here, I will say I could run my gain on sizzle mode yet still clearly hear seperation of each target. The depth of this coil is well documented but what is not talked about much is that it does not null on surface targets with high gain like you would assume with such a large coil. Pinpointing is surgical. More stable around EMI than pro coil (in my soil at least). You really need to slow down and cruise this coil because of the knife edge shaped detection window that the DD design, you will skip right over small silver because you don't get much of a halo. However the speed you lose from slowing your pace, you will make up for by being able to cover 15" with each swing. Another negative is because of the weight of this coil, it is really tough to do the Explorer/E-Trac wiggle over a good target. If you try you can feel the flex on the lower rod and your arm will feel a fatigue that you have never felt doing that wiggle motion with your light coils.

Thanks for any help you may give ID'ing my Trade Token (really hoping it is an Oakland token) and for taking the time to do some research for me.

HH, Mark

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try posting in the tokens & tags forum.

DCMatt

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Mark,

Very nice token and good narrative on how you dug it with the monster coil. :thumbsup: I've got the 10x12 SEF and have been considering the 12x15 for beach hunting. Good to know that the bigger coil is still killer at pinpointing. As for cleaning the token, I wouldn't do much more with it than you already have. :thumbsup:

Jim

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice token!!!!! try looking at the local library. for history on Ur town. might help... MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread