Clad+wheats+PAPARAZZI (UPDATE, I made it in the paper!)

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Well guys I hate to brag but it was 65 degrees here today!!! So what did I do? You know.

So here's the story.
I wasn't there but ten minutes and had dug a few clad when I got a pretty good signal. Not silver....but good. So I dig my plug and bend down to retrieve my find. I then see out of the corner of my eye someone walking up to me. I think "great a hobo" they hang around all over this park. I look up and it's this short dude with cameras and cases hanging off him all over. I didn't know what to think. He said hi....I said hi. I noticed that he was wearing a badge from our local newspaper. He asked if I minded if he took some pictures of me while I "did my thing." Being the shy guy that I am I said SURE no problem! He said he was just driving by and saw me and thought he would stop to see what I was doing. Well back to my find: I pull out a 1944 d wheat. This guy just thought it was the coolest thing. He starts going crazy taking pictures of me and the coin. he followed me around for about five minutes asking me question and taking all kinds of pictures. I found a quarter and a couple penny's but nothing else good while he was there. He got my contact info in case his boss had more questions for me. I told him to call me anytime. Now, I realize that it would probably have to be a pretty slow news day for any of this to actually be published in our local paper, but I'll be watching the papers and if it does show up I'll post in on here.

The rest of the hunt was pretty uneventful. I found another wheat-1920 d, my machine said it was 5 inches deep. Found a "whatsit" token that I'm posting in that forum. I also got one heck of a sunburn on the back of my neck. But I'll take it if it means sunny days!

HH everybody.

TG

(UPDATE)
Well I kinda forgot about this till one of my friends saw it and told me. Not much but was more then I was expecting so I think it's pretty cool. And no, when the reporter asked me my name I didn't say Texasgopher. I did that little bit of professional looking photoshopping myself! :laughing7: I also had a drastic haircut since this picture.

TG

TGnews.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 1,177
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,174
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,186
  • IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,179
  • IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,181
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,159
  • IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,143
  • IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,155
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,154
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BARGuy said:
But do you really coinshoot in city parks with that shovel? Or was it just for the pix?

Come MD in the Texas panhandle dirt sometime and you will understand why I have the shovel. I can actually make a much better cut in the ground with it then with my hand shovel. It was much harder to make a clean cut or plug with a hand shovel. The dirt is just so hard and when there is grass roots too you have to almost hack through it. My shovel has made it virtually impossible to tell where I have been. I know the perception is not great with the big shovel. So what do I do. Cut crappy plugs and look more Innocent or look a little more scary but leave no evidence that I was ever there? I chose the latter because it works for me.

TG

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Moonshadow said:
Cool stuff........and what a little cutie you are! ;D Thanks for making us look good! :laughing7:

HH,
Moon

lol....um thanks? ::) Seriously though, I was hoping that people would appreciate the exposure to the hobby. I did my best to make us all look good. I said a lot more to the reporter also but it didn't get in. Told him about how a good MDer will always fill his holes and clean the park of trash. And about how much we all appreciate history and stuff. Just not enough room to print I guess.

TG

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Mr Tuff said:
frame the pic and use it as an aid to help get the ok, when out door knocking at old local homes ;D nice finds!! MR TUFF

Hey that's a great idea!

Thanks everyone for your comments.

TG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Texasgopher said:
BARGuy said:
But do you really coinshoot in city parks with that shovel? Or was it just for the pix?

Come MD in the Texas panhandle dirt sometime and you will understand why I have the shovel. I can actually make a much better cut in the ground with it then with my hand shovel. It was much harder to make a clean cut or plug with a hand shovel. The dirt is just so hard and when there is grass roots too you have to almost hack through it. My shovel has made it virtually impossible to tell where I have been. I know the perception is not great with the big shovel. So what do I do. Cut crappy plugs and look more Innocent or look a little more scary but leave no evidence that I was ever there? I chose the latter because it works for me.

TG

Detecting yesterday, a couple guys joined me (one was using a small shovel) in the area for a few minutes and they left. 5 minutes later the cops were on me, somebody phoned it in for using a shovel in the park area.
They work, but they're a heat score in many parks.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
must have been a slow week :wink: :D no murders

Your brave giving up your secrets :wink: