216.7 KB · Views: 421
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been studying the Civil War for 25 years and digging relics for near as long and that's a nice Eagle Breast plate. Nice find :icon_thumleft: :wink: What you see on the reverse is the iron wire that would form the loops that attached to the belt and its rusting through the lead. Many times it will start to wear through the brass front as well. All in all a nicely preserved plate :icon_thumleft:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Saw this in What is it and left this comment on that post

It's a civil war period breast plate used by the US. It went on the cross belt for the cartridge box. It is lead filled and had 2 iron loops that went through the cross belt. A strip of leather went through the loops on the breast plate to hold it onto the belt. A nice find. Worth about $70 to $90 in that shape

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Man, that is one SWEET Civil War eagle breast plate! Congrats :headbang:

Jim

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find that in Montana!?

OP
OP
montanagold

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, That makes me very excited. We don't find civil war stuff here often.

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
Saw this in What is it and left this comment on that post

It's a civil war period breast plate used by the US. It went on the cross belt for the cartridge box. It is lead filled and had 2 iron loops that went through the cross belt. A strip of leather went through the loops on the breast plate to hold it onto the belt. A nice find. Worth about $70 to $90 in that shape
I believe the same face was used on the cartridge box...but it had hooks to connect into the leather as opposed to this one Where Sentinel points out that you can see where the wire was attached to run the belt through. I read somewhere that the reason so many of the breastplatest are found is that the Union soldiers found out that the Confederate soldiers were using them as a target. Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread