I did a test dig for 2 hours at what is said to be a CW training camp mid 1800,s

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out this morning at sun rise it was a bit cool i was told my some elders here 4 generation folk that back in the mid 1800,s there was a few CW camps out here 1 by a small lake where there was huts and barns the soldiers would walk the horses down the hill to the water hole ,so i would give it a try with my DFX my first hit was a horse shoe about 6 inches deep under about 4 roots grrrrr lol there sure is alot of metal so i tryed reverse discrimination by locking the pin point trigger that worked great :thumbsup: after that hole i hit a heavy axe head !! and 2 awes right next to each other 10 inches down of course more roots >:( then i hit a good signal +90 it was a 1891 seated dime in good shape plus a lead shot ball i think a J hook not sure some kind of horse bangle a ball peen hammer head a few square nails and a broken spoon .So i guess it is a camp ? what do you all think ? is it worth going back . I took a few pics for all to see also a I button maked Young and Smith New York. Good Hunting Jim

Attachments

• todays finds 3.jpg
    todays finds 3.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • todays finds 4.jpg
    todays finds 4.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 1,019
  • todays finds 5.jpg
    todays finds 5.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 1,027
  • axe and splitters horse shoe.jpg
    axe and splitters horse shoe.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,015
  • I button and seated 1891 dime lead shot ball.jpg
    I button and seated 1891 dime lead shot ball.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • todays finds 2.jpg
    todays finds 2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 925
Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It's hard to say what might have been there. There looks to be a good span of years on your finds. Could you post a better picture of the front and back of the brass piece with the star design on the bottom left and of the front and back of the button? That might help. It possible it was logging camp and not a civil war camp. I would hit it hard. you've found some good things. I hope you find more.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff!

For some button cleaning tips to aid in reading the backmark, see my post "How to Clean Buttons" in the cleaning and preservation section of TreasureNet.

Hard to know. I would think that the most common find in a camp should be lead.

That's an interesting button with the starburst design (or is it a bridle rosette?)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
I was thinkig rosette on the pice with the star design as well. The type of design looks colonial and British made.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice score!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
It's hard to say what might have been there. There looks to be a good span of years on your finds. Could you post a better picture of the front and back of the brass piece with the star design on the bottom left and of the front and back of the button? That might help. It possible it was logging camp and not a civil war camp. I would hit it hard. you've found some good things. I hope you find more.
Ok i did my best to get the photos i hope they help .Thanks Guys :thumbsup: Jim

Attachments

• bangle seated dime Eagle I button 2.jpg
    bangle seated dime Eagle I button 2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 911
  • Eagle I button.jpg
    Eagle I button.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 927
  • Bangle seated dime .jpg
    Bangle seated dime .jpg
    56 KB · Views: 902
OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Good stuff!

For some button cleaning tips to aid in reading the backmark, see my post "How to Clean Buttons" in the cleaning and preservation section of TreasureNet.

Hard to know. I would think that the most common find in a camp should be lead.

That's an interesting button with the starburst design (or is it a bridle rosette?)

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Thats a great site thanks for the information :icon_thumleft: i hope to find more buttons Jim

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Well, the button certainly leads us to believe that there was some CW action in that area. I would most certain search that area more thoroughly. Nice finds so far.

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
can i go, can i go :blob8:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could we see a good photo of the back of the piece with a star? Is it lead-filled or does it have a shank on the back? :icon_thumleft:

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Could we see a good photo of the back of the piece with a star? Is it lead-filled or does it have a shank on the back? :icon_thumleft:

Regards,

Buckles

I forgot i have a new scanner i can scan coins of anything flat there is no shank on this but i can still see some silver wash on it i dont know which is the front or the reverse its paper thin but hard as a rock i cant bend it it show some green patina under what looks like copper on one side above the copper there is still some silver ? i hope the scan helps BB . Thanks jim

Attachments

• flat star side 2.jpg
    flat star side 2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 837
  • flat star with silver wash 1.jpg
    flat star with silver wash 1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 841

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like you have an area which could span 75 yrs or more. Keep looking and something will probably pop up that will let you know more about the age of stuff. Buttons are always a good sign as they can be dated. I can't tell about your button by the picture but that would be a good indication. The other stuff, tools and such, are a little more hard to date but it looks like you got a good start! Relics are FUN!!

Steve ;D

Looks like your button is an infantry by the I on it. At least I think thats an I. Tell us whats on the back of the button and that will help a lot. Maybe better pictures of the button would help!

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Juanmoretime said:
Looks to me like you have an area which could span 75 yrs or more. Keep looking and something will probably pop up that will let you know more about the age of stuff. Buttons are always a good sign as they can be dated. I can't tell about your button by the picture but that would be a good indication. The other stuff, tools and such, are a little more hard to date but it looks like you got a good start! Relics are FUN!!

Steve ;D

Looks like your button is an infantry by the I on it. At least I think thats an I. Tell us whats on the back of the button and that will help a lot. Maybe better pictures of the button would help!
The back says Young Smith New York

Attachments

• Eagle I button.jpg
    Eagle I button.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 743

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an idea what it may be but we need a real close up of the front in order to get detail to identify it. There are many that look similiar to yours but there are many different ones. Also measurement to the width of the button in mm if possible would help. It looks like if it were cleaned properly, there is still a lot of gild left on it.

Steve ;D

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
You're Eagle I button is a US infantry button that dates 1830's-40's Young and Smith was in Business from 1830 to 1858. It's kind of hard to tell but the other piece looks like a stamped button from the 1700's. On the back in the center there is a mark that looks like it might have been where the shank was soldered on. It looks like it should clean up nice but be careful as the silver plate will sometimes come off.

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have a serious spot to do some metal detecting now!!! Best of luck!!!

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
That looks to be a great site!You guy's on the East End do have some wonderful spots.

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom said:
That looks to be a great site!You guy's on the East End do have some wonderful spots.
Not many and tight to not much swinging room in the thick woods i use a slow sweep once the ferns and under bush start growing its over then ill hit the beaches . Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds congrats on the seated.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting possibilities at that site. If it was a CW training camp, there should be a firing range there somewhere. Like BB said, the lead there will reveal a lot about period use. Good luck there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread