Things from in the victorian house

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I have been de-constructing an old victorian home, and here are a few of the things I've found. The chinese coins came out of a tin box I found in an old barn I tore down, the rest is from the victorian house. There will hopefully be more to come.

I take these old buildings down for the wood. We carefully de-construct the buildings board by board, pull the nails, metal detect the boards to be sure we got all the nails out (this is how I got interested in using the metal detector). Then we determine what size each board is good for and re-saw them into that size. We then put it in the dry-kiln and kiln dry it at 160 degrees to get it to uniform moisture content and kill any bugs that may inhabit the wood, and then we run it through a moulder that planes the top and bottom and puts a tongue and groove on each side. Then trim the ends square, grade and bundle it. Lots of work, but it's beautiful!

The background in the pic with the old curling iron is my kitchen floor, which is made from this wood.

This pic has a curling iron, some sort of heavy brass comb, and what I think is an ink pen? It says no.15 "Koh-T-Noon" Germany on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 721
Upvote 0

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if it is a pen but nice heart of pine flooring you got there!

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
This pic has the chinese coins, a 1929 wheat, a 1963 indian, 2 metal buttons, one has a fabric front, one oyster shell or mother of pearl button that looks hand made, a broken piece of some kind of glazed earthen ware pottery, a marble found in the wall, a tiger -eye stone, a venetian glass bead, and what may be two ruby or cultured ruby stones? Als 2 type set letters from a printing press and the biggest buffalo nickel I've ever seen, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 711

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Cheese, I love the idea of your type of work... sounds like fun. Could the pen markings read: KOH-I-NOOR ? This would be a type of fancy calligraphy pen. Nice finds.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Ahhhh, yes, you are right nhbenz! After closer inspection, it does read Koh-I-Noor. The tip was in it when I found it, but it isn't now, lol. I think I know where it is, and I'll look tomorrow when I go back.

The job is a lot of fun sometimes, and a lot of work others, lol. I love it though, and that's a blessing.

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cheese - neat finds and very interesting job. Is this your full-time business or a sideline? It reminds me of the guys that pull the 100-year-old logs from the bottom of rivers and lakes and mill them for lumber.

redeemed

Jul 8, 2005
Thomaston, Upson County GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher Coinstrike, Vibraprobe 560
Nice finds. I worked with a guy in high school who did the same thing. I can testify that it is a lot of work. DIRTY too!! It was pretty cool the stuff we found. Most of the good stuff was around the chimneys. (pocket watch, coins, old letters and such)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great job you have. I hate it when I see old homes demolished...nothing saved. Nice collection of goodies you have there.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one nice piece of "Tigers Eye" stone in the 2nd picture. When you move this stone it changes colour slightly. Oh and nice floors also ;D

God bless,
Peter

J

jgpreston

Interesting finds and job, a form of art. I sanded my fixer-upper home red oak floors, applied polyurethane and just love the look also. Congrats and good luck on your treasure hunts.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find's cheese...sound's like there is alot more waiting for you at this site..keep us posted and HH!!

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
the heavy brass comb thing has been posted here before,don't know if it was ever decided
as to what it was for sure.
nice finds for sure, thanks for the post.

HH Mark

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Groovy finds! I dug an old comb like that (just the brass part).

The pen would say Koh-I-Noor. That company is still in business, for all I know. They make pens and drafting supplies. When I was in high school and college, I used a Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph pen in drafting class and in my artwork. The company takes its name from the famous Koh-I-Noor diamond, which is in the British crown jewels in the Tower Of London, I believe. Koh-I-Noor means "Mountain of Light".

The Koh-I-Noor diamond:
http://www.diamondtutorials.com/articles/diamonds.tutorials/71/The_Kohinoor_Diamond.html

Some Koh-I-Noor pens:
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/online/717/art-supplies/4

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thanks!

I think the comb is maybe for straightening hair? Sound right? It looks as if it has been heated, and appears to be made to stay hot for a while (heavy thick brass, so much that it's overkill for an ordianry comb).

Haupin, I agree. I hate to tear down these buildings even though I profit from it. I think all of them that I've torn down were either going to get bulldozed and buried, or burned if I didn't get them. So, at least I'm saving the material from being lost forever. It's longleaf pine, which is from the virgin forest, and is almost non-existant today. What longleaf pine remains today is not the same as the wood from the virgin forest anyway, so you might say this wood is extinct in a way, even though the species still sparsely exists.

Peter, the tiger eye has lots of movement when you tilt it. Neat how it does that, huh?
The only reason I suspect the others may be ruby or something similar is because they aren't uniform, and were in a nice little brown envelope like you might expect to get gemstones from the jeweler in. I'll have to take them to a jeweler and see.

Kent, It started as a sideline business, and I suppose it still is somewhat, although it is rapidly growing. Hopefully it will take precedence over my other business in the span of this year.

Thanks for the comments!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:oNo telling what you may find in the future!! :o