Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the same park that has my favorite soccer field, and since I have cleaned that out I figured I would try a quick "exploratory" hunt around the baseball fields in that park..
Started a line along the main sidewalk that parallels the 5 fields, working towards the concession/bathroom area. Grass is brown and very short, as is the norm for Florida during our "dry" season.. Found a few pennies, nickels, and dimes, and of course the pop tabs... Got a strong hit that VDI indicated pull tab/ring.. Looked down, and since the grass is so short, I could just see a glint of something blue.. I carefully slid the lesche in, just below whatever was there, and pried up.. Out pops a really pretty gold ring with a huge square, blue stone in it.. I could see some kind of stamp in it, but without reading glasses I cant read that small, and figured it was probably costume jewelry and stuck it in my pocket. As I always do, I scan the area after I recover whatever is there, and I again get a VDI reading of pull tab or ring... I dig a bit deeper into the hole and find a second ring.. Very pretty also, but trying not to get my hopes up, I just slip it into my pocket.
Finished that block of grass with a couple more pennies and nickels, and since today is about 76 degrees, I figured I wouldnt push it and of course, wanted to get home to clean/inspect the rings..

The one with the big stone in it tests for 22k gold plate, but the only mark on it is a (M), I figure it means the size.. No other marks, no GP anything..
So I figure the other will be the same... I test it and it tests 22k and solid?!? There is no mark in it but what is either an S or a 5... Cant tell.. Probably an S for small... Unlike the other, it has no parenthesis marks on either side of it..
It also has no GP, GF, or K stamp on it, but with my electronic tester, if it is plated (like the first ring does), the line will peter out soon after I start dragging it along the test area... I made a total of 6 lines, holding the ring so that the same spot contacted the test strip each time, and it continued solid the whole time.. SO, it is either a GF ring, or a solid 22k ring!!
I guess the only way to really tell would be to cut the ring, and see if it is gold all the way through, or some other metal in the center..
Either way, for a 1 1/2 hr hunt, I feel very lucky.. First time finding two rings like this in the same day!

If anyone has any tips or ideas of how to see if the ring is solid gold, or gold filled, please let me know.. Ended up with only $1.85 in clad for the same time period...

Attachments

• blue ring 1.jpg
    blue ring 1.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 822
  • blue ring 2.jpg
    blue ring 2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 823
  • blue ring 3.jpg
    blue ring 3.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 819
  • sm blue ring 1.jpg
    sm blue ring 1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 819
  • sm blue ring 2.jpg
    sm blue ring 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 812
Upvote 0

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the rings are not marked, the only real way to find out if they are solid gold is by an acid test. By rubbing with a slate stone or very fine sandpaper in an inconspicuous spot then adding a drop of acid. If it turns green it is plated or gold filled.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
If the rings are not marked, the only real way to find out if they are solid gold is by an acid test. By rubbing with a slate stone or very fine sandpaper in an inconspicuous spot then adding a drop of acid. If it turns green it is plated or gold filled.
But that is what my electronic tester does... The ring with the big stone shows a yellow/brown line, but only for about 1/16th of an inch... The smaller ring shows a yellow/brown line the entire length of the test strip (about 3 inches) X 6 swipes.. Plating is electronically removed, thus the disappearing line, solid does not... But in my line of thinking, GF is a hollow tube of gold filled with some other metal, and a LOT thicker than plating.. Even an acid test would probably not get through the gold filled unless I filed enough of it off to get to the underlying metal... I guess I could file a small area and then re-test it with the electronic tester.. But my wife thinks I could get more off ePay for it than melt value, it is "so pretty".. But if I file it or cut it, it is only worth scrap...
Thanks for the thoughts though, and keep em' coming..

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to love that MXT 300 :thumbsup:

BURLIVES

Apr 14, 2009
Northeastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
CZ 6a
Depeding on your detector what it reads can also give you an idea. example a gold plated copper, silver or brass ring would read considerably higher than the real thing. i have found gold filled rings that were a base metal copper and read like a copper ring. If it's plated nickle, wouldn't be able to tell.I have found gold plated sterling which just reads like silver. Do you have a ring that's similar to compare readings on your machine? If not take it somewhere to confirm. I have been pleasantly surprised several times when I have found an unmarked piece and taken it to be evaluated. Good luck!

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Can you show it to a jeweller? Because if you file it, it will be completely ruined.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toby1858 said:
Excellent finds! You've got those rings lookin REALLY good. :icon_thumright:
I cant take credit for that... They came out of the ground looking good.... The big one had a lot of dirt under/around the stone due to the type of setting, but other than that, it was just a light brushing with soap.

I will take the small one to a jeweler. Heck, I'll take both so I can see what that big stone is...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread