Detecting in my yard today

Everett Mcgill

Greenie
Mar 8, 2010
Northern Calif a
Detector(s) used
MXT / Mark 1
I spent the last week learning my MXT by MD ing my yard. No easy task, as there was a blacksmith shop and an old house where mine now stands. The townsite that I live in dates to 1869. The smith closed down in the 40s and the house was torn down soon after. My house was moved in from town in the early 1960s.
I am also a bottle digger collector/digger as well as a MDer. I found and dug one of the outhouses under my house the week I moved in nearly 16 years ago. It was a pretty new one probably 30s or 40s judging by the junk bottles it was full of. I found out later that an early bottle club dug this yard in 1960.
Anyway. I have been cleaning up tons of junk iron with my MXT this week. The people who lived on this place must have been dirt poor, cause they didn't drop very much change on the ground. I have found brass shotgun shells, tons of assorted hand made iron rings of all sizes, most likely used for tack and wagon parts, wagon wheel tires (metal), hubs and just a veritable you name it of blacksmith hand made junk and general leavins.
My neighbor who was 90 when I moved in told me the Smith's money was never found when he died. So I am trying my best to find it. But so far just this kind of stuff. Here are a few pics of some stuff I got today a couple of wheaties a couple of pennies that I can't ID and a few memoriale also a newer quarter. I don't know who the copper man's head represents. My horse kicked that out in the pasture and I found it with my MXT.
Well...now that i've found this site, I will be reading and learning all I can. :hello:

Attachments

• mdf1.JPG
    mdf1.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 956
  • mdf2.JPG
    mdf2.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 960
  • mdf3.JPG
    mdf3.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 950
Upvote 0

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Good luck on the search. Nice stuff so far. That key is nice. :thumbsup: jgas

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Some pretty cool finds!
If you can get your hands on one, a small coil in that area would help you out quite a bit.
Mike

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garbageman said:
Great finds! I think the head looks like Teddy Roosevelt. -Garbageman

It does look like him, but the double chin makes me doubt that. Post Civil War general running for office? Intriguing, to say the least.
Nice Back Yard!

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat stuff! HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds, the MXT is an awesome machine for sure.

OP
OP
Everett  Mcgill

Everett Mcgill

Greenie
Mar 8, 2010
Northern Calif a
Detector(s) used
MXT / Mark 1
YOu guys are so cool...I too thought it looked like old grover but the match case , I never would have thought... Ya know....now that I can see how it went together, I think I just chucked the bottom piece. I had better go check the can....hehe
Thanks again.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Keep pounding that yard there's more there. :icon_thumright:

redneck13126