Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIGGER?S DIARY, TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, 2006

Midnight Median Madness

Chris McCarthy, my detecting prot?g?, called me to see if I was up for another digging expedition. I?d loaned him my spare detector after his successful second outing on January 25, when he?d found a nice Masonic lodge token and his first four Wheat cents. In the interim, on his first solo hunts, he?d found two or three more Wheaties, so he was eager to attempt to cross that next milestone: finding his first silver coin.

However, I?d had a busy day planned, so I told Chris I wasn?t up for a daytime outing, but I might do a night hunt. He called me in the evening and agreed to pick me up, since I was having transmission troubles with my van. We decided to return to the median strip in the middle of Newcastle Street, which had rewarded us with some Wheaties and Chris? old Masonic token a few days before. It was a pleasant night for hunting, though the temperature was dropping. I put the small 4.5? ?sniper? coil on my detector, since there was a lot of trash in the median strip and I figured the small coil might help me separate the targets out a little better.

Chris was munching sunflower seeds and spitting the shells on the grass. I wondered aloud if the median might end up being full of five-foot-tall sunflowers, come summertime. Chris almost choked on a seed, then joked that it would have made an interesting Digger?s Diary entry if I?d had to explain how the trip was cut short to carry him to the hospital with a sunflower seed stuck in his throat. Fortunately, no more mention of sunflower seeds is necessary in this particular saga.

One of my first targets was a penny signal, and it proved to be just that- a 1960 Memorial cent. Soon we were getting plenty of signals but were having difficulty separating and pinpointing them. Worse, many times we would pinpoint a signal, cut a plug in the sod, and then? nothing! The signal would vanish. I am accustomed to this where there?s a lot of iron, but good coin-range signals were doing this, as well, and it was irritating. One such signal vanished on me and I filled the hole back in and walked away, only to return ten or fifteen minutes later to that part of the median and get a signal again, right next to the spot I?d dug. It was a loud signal with plenty of ?surface chatter?, too. Probing through the grass with my electronic pinpointer, I soon noticed that the target was on the surface, having obviously been brought out by my previous digging attempt. Shining the light on it, I could see it was a Wheat cent- a 1926. Chris found a hexagonal, gold-plated locket or small photo frame of some kind. He also found a brooch with an opalescent-looking stone in it. Though it was only costume jewelry, it was kind of pretty, and probably fairly old.

We moved on to Queen?s Square, which is one of the few squares in Old Town Brunswick that?s suitable for night hunting: it?s pretty safe, being well lit and only a few hundred yards from the police station. It?s also in the business district downtown, so there?s nobody but the police around there in the middle of the night, and no suspicious homeowners nearby to be disturbed by folks detecting in the park. The police usually don?t give me a second look when I?m out there. Queen?s Square didn?t give us much of interest- only some modern change. I told Chris our chances were probably better back on that median strip, since it was less picked-over than the parks. We went back to the median but soon tired of the strange disappearing signal phenomenon. I did dig an old harmonica reed, the second for this month. Chris dug a huge, corroded piece of roofing tin, which was a possible clue to why our detectors were acting so quirky there. It was then that I remembered there was another park suitable to night hunting: Hillary Square, one of the smaller squares. Located next to the post office, it is also in the business district and therefore not surrounded by nosy neighbors. Off we went.

On the way to Hillary Square, we saw an appealing, green sidewalk strip that cried out to be searched. It was near an old church and lit by a bright floodlight like one sees at sporting stadiums, so we couldn?t have asked for better light. Unfortunately, it didn?t live up to expectations: I found the base of a light bulb and some aluminum can fragments, and Chris couldn?t even pin down a clean signal. Soon we were at Hillary Square.

Chris got a nice sounding clear-but-faint signal and asked me to check it with the target ID on my machine. It was mostly in the coin range, and obviously had some depth to it. ?Dig, young man!? I told him, pointing at the spot. He did. I stood by to assist, since the signal sounded good and I was intrigued. We cut a perfect six-inch deep plug that held together nicely, thanks to the firm soil. When the signal proved to still be in the ground, I stepped in with my pinpointer and soon had a probe signal at the bottom of the hole. A nice, tight signal like a coin would make. Oh, boy! We were getting excited. I scooped out a handful of dirt and swung it over the detector?s coil. BEEP! The detector produced a nice hot signal. The target was in my hand, and that magical moment of truth had arrived!

We shined our headlamps and scrutinized the dirt as I opened my hand. We didn?t catch the glint of silver I?d hoped to see, but Chris? target did prove to be an exciting one. It was an old two-piece US Navy uniform button with an intact shank. Most of the original gilt on it looked to be intact, as well. The eagle on it perched atop an anchor and a stack of cannonballs. We could not read the backmark without some cleaning, so it is difficult to precisely date it, but I have little doubt that it is a 19th century button. An awesome find!

Chris finds an old US Navy button. The student outdoes his teacher again.

viewfile.cfm

I still had the small sniper coil on my machine, and after seeing Chris? deeper find, I knew it was time to change back to my standard 8.5? searchcoil so that I could get a little more depth. Trash was not being as much of a nuisance in Hillary Square. As I stood on the sidewalk changing my detector?s coil, a voice spoke from right behind my shoulder- I jumped, quite startled! It was a mostly-toothless old woman. With her dark skin and clothing, she was difficult to see in the shadows, and she nearly gave me a heart attack! She begged for money and I gave her some change, explaining that some of it was dirty because it had just been dug. She also asked Chris for money. He had a good answer for her: ?Hey, we don?t have any money- that?s what we?re out here looking for!? She ambled off down the sidewalk. She?s lucky I didn?t reflexively knock her out with my metal detector when she startled me. I certainly wouldn?t make a habit of creeping up behind strangers in a dark, deserted park at one o?clock in the morning!

As the adrenaline left my system, I got the bigger coil back on my machine and went to work. Soon our stamina was fading and it was getting late. I did manage to dig two deeper targets before the night was through. The first was the movement of an old pocket watch, including the porcelain dial. The numbers on the watch dial were still visible. Still no complete pocket watch for me, but the second partial one I?d found this month. Like Chris? Navy button, it came up from seven or eight inches down and was most likely a relic of the nineteenth century. Furthermore, if a target the size of a pocket watch movement was still there, there?s no telling what kind of old coins of the era might yet sleep undiscovered in the nearby soil.

Old Waltham pocket watch movement with porcelain dial.

viewfile.cfm

The second deep recovery for me proved to be a coin. At six inches deep, I recovered a penny, and I was sure it was going to be an Indian cent. I was wrong, though- it was a Wheatie, and a surprisingly modern one for having been that deep: it was a 1940.

I?d ended the night with two Wheat cents and the pocket watch movement. Chris hadn?t gotten many coins except a few modern ones, but had a nice button and some other interesting items.

1926 and 1940 Wheat cents dug January 31st, 2006.

viewfile.cfm

We packed up and headed for home. I noticed the temperature was now 34? F. I hadn?t really noticed the cold, except for on my ears. It?s a good thing I had dressed warmly. It wasn?t a super-successful outing but it wasn?t a total failure, either, and we?d had fun. (With the possible exception of me getting scared out of my shoes by an old lady.)

-RWS

Upvote 0

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
It sounds like you have a permanent hunting partner now. You guys did great, I hope you have many more successful hunts in the future.

OP
OP
lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. We plan to get him his own detector this week. He says he has the money.

It'll be nice to be able to use my Shadow again. He preferred it for its simplicity, so he's always used it while I used my Garrett. Thing is, the Shadow's got a bigger coil, and I've been using it to get the deeper stuff that I missed in my past hunts on these sites. I'll be glad when the kid has his own machine and digger.

He's a natural, and I would venture a guess he'll be a detectorist from now on, though perhaps not always my digging partner. He's young (in his early twenties), and from Idaho. He will probably move on to another resort pastry chef job somewhere else before long. Folks that age in the hospitality industry tend to be a bit more itinerant and prone to move around a lot more than us older, more settled married folk with families.

I will enjoy his company while he's here, particularly as it's good to have somebody to go night hunting with. Some of those rural relic hunting sites I've hunted can be quite spooky when you're by yourself in the darkness. One time I saw some panther tracks at one, and I sure wouldn't have minded some company then. Another time, a bunch of yellow glowing eyes came crashing toward me, through the woods- that scared me so bad I let out a little girly scream! LOL. Turns out it was a herd of deer- I scared them and they scared me, far worse than the old lady scared me the other night. Chris likes night hunting because most folks his age who are out on their own for the first time tend to be night owls. He says it's better than hangin' out in the bars.

J

jgpreston

Re: DIGGER’S DIARY, TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, 2006: Midnight Median Madness

Lord M, I just love reading your posts. It's like reading an article in a magazine that I have to pay $5. I haven't tried night detecting yet but will consider it. Thanks for sharing your experiences. HH

OP
OP
lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. If you are gonna try night hunting, a good headlamp is vital, since holding a flashlight ties up one of your hands. My wife bought me a nice fancy one with a focusable beam from the REI camping supply catalog, but the bulb has gone out on it. We recently found some near the checkout counters at Wal-Mart that run off coin-sized watch or camera batteries (which come included), and those were only five bucks. They have an elastic headband. They aren't as bright or as nice as my fancy REI one, but they are quite bright, and adequate to the task. Another very useful item in night hunting is a handheld pinpointing probe. Those are handy always. I use a Tinytec.

One other thing about night hunting in urban areas (or anywhere, for that matter): BE SAFE. I was night hunting in a park once and found myself only a block away from a drive-by shooting, and was almost hit by the getaway car!

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
Great Job, Have you ever had any problems or anyone wondering about hunting at night, as far as police or anything like that, I have never tried to hunt at night and was curious if you ever get hasseled. Thanks, HH Art...

OP
OP
lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have been hassled a number of times. The police only came because nosy homeowners saw me in the parks after dark.

I have a park permit, though, and the cops really don't hassle me, they just come when they're called. If nobody calls them, they ignore me, or even come over for a friendly chat. Since being out at night near where people's homes are might understandably make some of them nervous, I have found it is best to stick to the business district at night, where the parks are surrounded by closed stores and such, rather than homes. I'm sure the police watch me, but when they see I'm not up to any vandalism or other nefarious deeds, 99% of the time they leave me alone.

I have had one or two warn me about my own safety when I'm close to a bad neighborhood, though. One lady cop did that, which was considerate of her. I told her I carry a mean-looking digging knife and could take care of myself as long as the bad guys didn't have a gun. What I didn't tell her was that I also grew up pretty darn near that particular "bad neighborhood."

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your posts Lord M, I really enjoy them. I don't have time to get out much so I live my THing life vicariously through you and the other good folks here on the forums. :)

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Lord M,

Seems you are a natural writer and THer....

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread