Handful of keepers

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey guys. My brother and I took a trip to Tacoma today and found 2 wheats(1942-s, and 1944-s) and 3 WA state tax tokens. Still no silver coins this year, but I can tell we'll find one soon. A ratio of 43 wheats to 0 silver is quite uncommon, even in these parts. Hope you all have a good weekend of hunting!

-Washingtonian

Attachments

• March 13 001.jpg
    March 13 001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 697
  • March 13 002.jpg
    March 13 002.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 686
  • March 13 003.jpg
    March 13 003.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 688
Upvote 0
OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
plehbah said:
That ratio is very tough. I have had single days like that.

The dimes have to be there, maybe try taking a silver Roosie with you when you detect and try burying it at 7 inches or so and calibrating your detector against it.

I have had people run their coils over deep coins I can hear, and they do not like the signals. I think the deep silver dime is hiding from you and that there must be some trick you are supposed to learn.

Do you sweep quickly?

Do you use a variety of coils?
I mainly run with the stock coil, though I do have an eclipse coil which is smaller and better for trashier areas. I have certainly found silver dimes in the past, so maybe it does have to do with their depth. I don't think I've ever found a silver dime that wasn't part of a pocket spill deeper than maybe 5-6". How would you calibrate your detector to accommodate the deeper silver dimes?

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah 43:0 os crazy! I am sure you are trying hard to hear silver but you really need to dig those iffys, swith to all metal on an iffy and if it still looks good, dig it till you figure out what that machine is telling you. That ratio of 43:0 is just too unreal. Hope you can sniff them out.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know if you live around a very old neighborhood like i do but if you do look for those very old homes Victorians or Colonials and see if there is a real estate sign call them or go to the real estate and ask for permission to hunt that place sometimes they will, i know the lady who sells homes out here so its not to hard to ask ,there is always silver coins and jewelry in the lawns of those old homes or Churches like the photo shows built in 1640 most Pastors will let you .Good Hunt :thumbsup:

Attachments

• First Presbyterian Church 1640 -3.jpg
    First Presbyterian Church 1640 -3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 547
  • First Presbyterian Church 1640 -3.jpg
    First Presbyterian Church 1640 -3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 546

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
washingtonian said:
plehbah said:

The dimes have to be there, maybe try taking a silver Roosie with you when you detect and try burying it at 7 inches or so and calibrating your detector against it.

I have had people run their coils over deep coins I can hear, and they do not like the signals. I think the deep silver dime is hiding from you and that there must be some trick you are supposed to learn.

Do you sweep quickly?

I mainly run with the stock coil, though I do have an eclipse coil which is smaller and better for trashier areas. I have certainly found silver dimes in the past, so maybe it does have to do with their depth. I don't think I've ever found a silver dime that wasn't part of a pocket spill deeper than maybe 5-6". How would you calibrate your detector to accommodate the deeper silver dimes?
The dfx is good on dime-sized coins up to about 6". You may have to run it without any discrimination to gain an extra inch in depth.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
washingtonian said:
plehbah said:

Do you sweep quickly?

I use the SEF 10x12 coil and a slow sweep with mixed mode on i can hear a nail 2 inches away from a silver dime ,a few times i have found a coin spill penny's dimes nickles and quarters all in the same hole i can see on the screen the VDI numbers jumping all over the place and hear each different coin, did you ever try that program i showed you ?? for your DFX ,i turn Tone ID on you just gotta get used to all the sounds ,do you have a test garden ? make one bury different coins at different depths and distances from each other use iron to in the garden , mark them on a sheet of paper so you know that way each time you change a program you can test it and see how far down you can detect a coin .Good luck Jim

scroll down this link .
http://www.dfxonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6852&sid=42e906c4787399a63b002c7fc9eba000

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like plehbah said. I would really start to dig iffy signals at the places you are finding lots of wheats. I have had sites that the coins hit at odd places on my meter. There was a old site in particular where everyone had wheats and no silver so I started to dig signals that were very close to pull tabs and screw caps. That was where the silver was hiding and it was fairly deep too. I ended up with a hand full of silver before anyone asked me why I had all the silver.

Another site the indian heads hit at a strange place on the meter. I passed the first signal but dug the second signal when I found out the second one was an indian I dug the first one and bagged another one.

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
well done washingtonian,with your attitude you are gonna hit the ones you are after soon..look foward to your posts...des

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the finds. can't wait to join you on a hunt in a few weeks when I visit Washington!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice token finds :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions