Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I FINNALY DID IT...MY FIRST MILITARY BUTTON! I headed back up to the spot I just found the capped bust dime (in the pouring rain). I spent half the day up there and managed 5 buttons and this brass clamp whatsit. This area is huge and it will take a long time to go over all of it. But the highlight of the day was this naval button. It appears to be Civil War era. Scovill's Waterbury backmark. I've been waiting for this day for a LONG time. This button is very awesome and will look great in my collection. I feel relieved, my top goal of the year has been acheived. Any military button. Once again, going out in the pouring rain has paid off. Spring is here and I won't be free to go out in the week anymore. Work season is back and will only be going out on weekends. I'm very happy to acheive my goal before my time is cut in half. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 460
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: NAVAL BUTTON!

Nice one Sniffy! :icon_thumright:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

cool buttons.congrats on your naval button! :thumbsup:

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice looking button.

If it rained as hard in CT as it did here in MA, then you certainly are hard-core and deserved finding that button. We have gotten 8" of rain in 36 hours. Not pretty !!!. Time to break out the water detector !!!

Congrats and good luck with that spot on your next hunt !!!

Brian in MA

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice buttons :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG, always very nice to get a military button, it is a Marine button, not Navy, I could not say with certainty which Albert number it is, eyes too weary to stare at the photo, sure someone will chime in on which one it is..

Don

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

I have a naval button. My mommy said that's where the indian shot me. :D

Awesome button Sniffy. I look at all my buttons hoping to see something on the front. I think I would faint if I found something like that. :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffy said:
I FINNALY DID IT...MY FIRST MILITARY BUTTON! I headed back up to the spot I just found the capped bust dime (in the pouring rain). I spent half the day up there and managed 5 buttons and this brass clamp whatsit. This area is huge and it will take a long time to go over all of it. But the highlight of the day was this naval button. It appears to be Civil War era. Scovill's Waterbury backmark. I've been waiting for this day for a LONG time. This button is very awesome and will look great in my collection. I feel relieved, my top goal of the year has been acheived. Any military button. Once again, going out in the pouring rain has paid off. Spring is here and I won't be free to go out in the week anymore. Work season is back and will only be going out on weekends. I'm very happy to acheive my goal before my time is cut in half. Thanks for looking.

Can you take a photo of the back so that we can see it? :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told you it wouldn't take long! :thumbsup: It does look like it will clean up too.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Sniffy said:

Can you take a photo of the back so that we can see it? :wink: :icon_thumleft:
Here's the back. No shank. And on the top Scovill's and on the bottom Waterbury.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 356

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks earlier than CW, 1820s at a guess

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Nice. It is a bit earlier than civil war. Most RMDC Rasied Mark Depressed Channel backmarks date 1850's. That one does for sure. Civil war and earlier Marine buttons are not common finds. WTG on that one.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are findin' some stuff! Congrats.....Hogge :headbang:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
The clamp thing is actually a harness boss. 2 harnesses would cross behind it. One harness would go on the iron studs and remain stationary and the other would slde through the iron piece and the brass. They are precivil war. I've dug quite a few at colonial and early 1800's sites.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
The clamp thing is actually a harness boss. 2 harnesses would cross behind it. One harness would go on the iron studs and remain stationary and the other would slde through the iron piece and the brass. They are precivil war. I've dug quite a few at colonial and early 1800's sites.
I was curious about that, thanks alot for ID'ing that...I figured it was some kind of tack peice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread