Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil war "dog tag"

Hi all. The sunshine finally found upstate NY the last couple of days so I got out for some much needed treasure findin ! Theres a cornfield that surrounds an old homesite that dates to the late 1700's right out back of my house.I got permission last year to search the area and found some nice stuff there last summer. I headed out there yesterday morning.I wasn't feeling to great so I wasn't really consentrating on what I was doing but it was nice to soak up some sunshine and fresh air.First thing I found turned out to be a large flat button with all the silver guilt still intact....that one got me going as it looked like a large silver coin at first ! I then continued to wander around and soon got another signal that I thought would be a button.It turned out to be a medalion with a bust of Washington.I couldn't see it that well and at first thought that it may be a counterfeit coin of some sort.I wandered around and found a few more buttons before heading back home to take a break.I got home and cleaned it up and got a better look at it and noticed that there was writing on the obverse side.I posted it in the "what is it " section here and it was id ed as a civil war id tag...thanks again y'all ! :thumbsup:

The site were I found this has a well known history and this is a very small town so I think I can find out who this belonged to.On the tag the name of the soldier is missing but there are some letters still visible.If I cant find what I need on line I plan on taking it to the local historian and go from there.....but first I'm going back out back ! ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,609
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 4,992
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,459
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 4,482
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Civil war "dog tag"

Military identification tags, or dog tags, were first issued in December 1906. Soldiers were required to carry an identification tag as of 1913. In 1916 a second tag was added, and by 1917 all troops were wearing dog tags. Before dog tags were issued by the military, soldiers often wrote their names on paper and pinned the paper to the inside of their uniforms or carved their information into coins or wood in an effort to ensure that if they were to die in combat their identity would be known. Another method to assure they would be ID-ed in the event of severe injury or death was to buy these tags from enterprising merchants--especially before battles.
Don....

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I never would have known there was such a thing. Great find! And By the way you got my vote! :thumbsup:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone.Well I have been busy treasure hunting and haven't looked into this much but......I work with a lady that used to teach history and I just spoke with her.She has done alot of research on the 51st as one of her ancestors was in the 51st and died at Antitem.She also told me she has a diary of Lansing Paine who was one of my boss's ancestors.Lansing Paine was captured and imprisoned in Andersonville.She is going to let me read that as well.I know that my boss's cousin still has Lansing's uniform,rifle,and sword and I'm hoping to get to see that as well.If I do I'll post pic's for y'all.

BuckleBoy said:
That's one hell of a find! And with the Company and Regiment information, you should be able to find out who it belonged to. You Must do this research. Situations like these, I figure we owe it to those veterans who are long gone to learn about them when we find such a personal item as this. It will also make a Valuable relic even more valuable. There won't be many soldiers with those first two initials listed. Best case scenario, there is only one. :)

If that material is pewter, then you'll need to make sure it is preserved. I'd take a paintbrush and mix up Elmer's glue 50/50 mix with water and paint it on several coats to keep the edges from flaking away.

That is CERTAINLY a Banner find, and I am nominating it. Great photos! And a BIG Congratulations to you!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks for the info BB.Delving into the history of the things I find has always been one of my favorite aspects of this whole treasure findin bidness ! :thumbsup:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Now that is one heck of a find. Major Congrats. Please put this bad boy up on the Banner where it rightfully belongs. Do your homework on it and I am sure you will be even more pleased with that fantastic dig. Congrats again. :thumbsup: jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

WooHoooooo Nice up on the Banner....Congrats!!!!! jgas

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well dang,I was just replying to Jeff and there it was....cool deal Thanks y'all ! ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kieser sousa/rip said:
jeff of pa said:
Edward Kelly's dog tag.

I'm Curious Why G.W.
on a Civil War Tag ?

http://www.bpmlegal.com/76NY/dogtag.html

My hunting buddy was wondering the same thing....I imagine it was a patriotic thing.

Yea I Was Hesitant to Banner it as C.W.
because of Washington.

IF I Didn't find one Similar
It still wouldn't be there ;D
I Was thinking fantasy Piece

Congrats on an Awsome Find. :coffee2:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very different, congrat's on the banner. :icon_thumright:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

:headbang: CONGRATULATIONS! :headbang: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
well done Terry! and a huge congrats on making the banner.that thing is friggin awesome! :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

absolutely amazing! well deserved banner item!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have never seen one. Fantastic find and look forward to the rest of the story. Now the fun begins in figuring out who,what and when.
Congratulations !
TnMtns

CKaufman

Feb 3, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250 /tesoro silver sabre umax/
garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This should get interesting! great find