Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil war "dog tag"

Hi all. The sunshine finally found upstate NY the last couple of days so I got out for some much needed treasure findin ! Theres a cornfield that surrounds an old homesite that dates to the late 1700's right out back of my house.I got permission last year to search the area and found some nice stuff there last summer. I headed out there yesterday morning.I wasn't feeling to great so I wasn't really consentrating on what I was doing but it was nice to soak up some sunshine and fresh air.First thing I found turned out to be a large flat button with all the silver guilt still intact....that one got me going as it looked like a large silver coin at first ! I then continued to wander around and soon got another signal that I thought would be a button.It turned out to be a medalion with a bust of Washington.I couldn't see it that well and at first thought that it may be a counterfeit coin of some sort.I wandered around and found a few more buttons before heading back home to take a break.I got home and cleaned it up and got a better look at it and noticed that there was writing on the obverse side.I posted it in the "what is it " section here and it was id ed as a civil war id tag...thanks again y'all ! :thumbsup:

The site were I found this has a well known history and this is a very small town so I think I can find out who this belonged to.On the tag the name of the soldier is missing but there are some letters still visible.If I cant find what I need on line I plan on taking it to the local historian and go from there.....but first I'm going back out back ! ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,609
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 4,992
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,459
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 4,482
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Civil war "dog tag"

Even in that condition that's a Banner find. Congrats Sousa :wink:

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks y'all.They just cut the corn in the field were I found it and I'm heading out to find more later ! ;D

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very sweet find!! :icon_thumleft: Congrats from a former upstate New Yorker!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread