Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil war "dog tag"

Hi all. The sunshine finally found upstate NY the last couple of days so I got out for some much needed treasure findin ! Theres a cornfield that surrounds an old homesite that dates to the late 1700's right out back of my house.I got permission last year to search the area and found some nice stuff there last summer. I headed out there yesterday morning.I wasn't feeling to great so I wasn't really consentrating on what I was doing but it was nice to soak up some sunshine and fresh air.First thing I found turned out to be a large flat button with all the silver guilt still intact....that one got me going as it looked like a large silver coin at first ! I then continued to wander around and soon got another signal that I thought would be a button.It turned out to be a medalion with a bust of Washington.I couldn't see it that well and at first thought that it may be a counterfeit coin of some sort.I wandered around and found a few more buttons before heading back home to take a break.I got home and cleaned it up and got a better look at it and noticed that there was writing on the obverse side.I posted it in the "what is it " section here and it was id ed as a civil war id tag...thanks again y'all ! :thumbsup:

The site were I found this has a well known history and this is a very small town so I think I can find out who this belonged to.On the tag the name of the soldier is missing but there are some letters still visible.If I cant find what I need on line I plan on taking it to the local historian and go from there.....but first I'm going back out back ! ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,609
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 4,992
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,459
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 4,482
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Civil war "dog tag"

Wow! Superb banner find!

DCMatt

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6

Awesome find :thumbsup:
I smell Banner on that one :D
I would go back and check that hole again with a sifter.
Never know, you may just find the broken fragments!

Good luck :thumbsup:

G1

gxray

Jan 30, 2009

that is definitely one awesome find ...Banner for sure . I hope you can get more info on who the soldier might have been.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have never seen a civil war dog tag posted on here !! A BANNER find ! A Unique and specific pice of history ! I hope you do confirm Tag identiy ! Keep us posted ! MaineRelic.

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Killer find rip!!!!!! I hope there is another one in that field for me ;D Oh yeah Bannerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Y'all. I'll be going back to this site for sure..it is in my back yard ! ;D

sscindercoop said:
Killer find rip!!!!!! I hope there is another one in that field for me ;D Oh yeah Bannerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

May be ya never know....today maybe we can find one from the Revolutionary war. :wink:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OH WOW!!! :o What an exciting find, K! :o Yep, I'd be rechecking that dug spot! :icon_pirat:

Way to go!!! Nana

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep us posted on your research, great find!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's one hell of a find! And with the Company and Regiment information, you should be able to find out who it belonged to. You Must do this research. Situations like these, I figure we owe it to those veterans who are long gone to learn about them when we find such a personal item as this. It will also make a Valuable relic even more valuable. There won't be many soldiers with those first two initials listed. Best case scenario, there is only one. :)

If that material is pewter, then you'll need to make sure it is preserved. I'd take a paintbrush and mix up Elmer's glue 50/50 mix with water and paint it on several coats to keep the edges from flaking away.

That is CERTAINLY a Banner find, and I am nominating it. Great photos! And a BIG Congratulations to you!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Definately BANNER!! that would look mighty perty up there. ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The resource you need to find is in the New York State Archives, and it is #A0087, then find Company K:

A0087 Records of the 51st Regiment, New York State Volunteers, 1861-1864.

This series consists of correspondence, general and special orders, medical discharges, furloughs and leaves of absence, quarterly returns, requisitions for and inventories of military stores, receipts, invoices, muster rolls and payrolls pertaining to the 51st New York State Volunteers.

(Finding Aid: Folder Listing.)

What you need to know will be in there. A write-up of the 51st's involvement in the War, and specifically Company K's involvement, will increase the value of the find.

http://www.archives.nysed.gov/aindex.shtml

Regards,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread