Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on a whim I stopped and asked permission at a place a few miles from my home. not an old house, but looked like an old yard with a couple of big oak trees. Found my first flying eagle cent ;D haven't cleaned anythin except under running water, any tips on how to clean the flying eagle and the button? also, does anyone know the era of the button? thanks for looking all. Griff

Attachments

• 3-18.jpg
    3-18.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 698
  • 3-18 coins.jpg
    3-18 coins.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 691
  • 3-18 flying eagle back.jpg
    3-18 flying eagle back.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 682
  • 3-18 flying eagle.jpg
    3-18 flying eagle.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 682
  • 3-18 button back.jpg
    3-18 button back.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 686
  • 3-18 button.jpg
    3-18 button.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 689
  • 3-18 relics.jpg
    3-18 relics.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 695
  • 3-18 1872 IH.jpg
    3-18 1872 IH.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 679
Upvote 0

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
That's a good day!!! I'd leave the flying eagle cent alone. If you clean off the patina, your whole
coin will look like the small exposed spots on the coin. It's much more attractive as it is.

Slab

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That flying eagle is in great shape! Alot better then mine yesterday. Congrats on all your finds. Thats a heck of a day. :thumbsup:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Congrats on those finds!! :headbang: :headbang:

That 1872 IH is an awesome find too. A higher dollar find than your FE....careful how you clean that one and the FE.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah don't clean the flying eagle. It is perfect as is. The button is a Civil war era artillery button. Awesome finds. That button is perfect as is. I would Just display everything. That is an excellant day.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, :hello:

Don't you dare clean that coin or button anymore !! :o This is an educated guess but I think. :icon_scratch: The button is a Civil War Artillery button. :hello2: Both those items have a great patina and would only lose value if you cleaned them anymore. :o

People get antiques and they think they will make them look nicer by cleaning them. :( Truth is people don't know how to do it right and end up doing more bad then good. :dontknow: If you come across stuff like that leave it alone. :icon_thumleft: Never clean antiques of any kind. :hello2: Let a professional do it so the value will go up not down. :headbang:

Great finds !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ It and HH !! :D ;D

OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jdsarasin8194 said:
AWESOME FINDS!!!
Are you sure that the "1872" is a "2" cause it looks like a "3"
yeah I thought it looked it a little funny too, but here is a close up...

Attachments

• 3-18 date.jpg
    3-18 date.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 585
  • 3-18IH2.jpg
    3-18IH2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 604
OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

Don't you dare clean that coin or button anymore !! :o This is an educated guess but I think. :icon_scratch: The button is a Civil War Artillery button. :hello2: Both those items have a great patina and would only lose value if you cleaned them anymore. :o

People get antiques and they think they will make them look nicer by cleaning them. :( Truth is people don't know how to do it right and end up doing more bad then good. :dontknow: If you come across stuff like that leave it alone. :icon_thumleft: Never clean antiques of any kind. :hello2: Let a professional do it so the value will go up not down. :headbang:

thanks for the tips, will do. would it hurt to put olive oil on the button or FE? Also, normally I would put an IH in heated peroxide to get the crud off, but I noticed it takes off the green patina. So are they more valuable or collectable green?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
postalgriff said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

thanks for the tips, will do. would it hurt to put olive oil on the button or FE? Also, normally I would put an IH in heated peroxide to get the crud off, but I noticed it takes off the green patina. So are they more valuable or collectable green?

I would not do anything to them, yes. They are more Collectable green. :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
postalgriff said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

For those particular finds it basically comes down to eye appeal because they are low value, and my personal opinion is that green looks better than black. Some finds taking away the green will hurt the condition, and in other cases not so much, it just changes the color.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
G-4 1872 Injun: $90.00 not bad at all...That baby would grade a smidge better though.. :tongue3: That FE is a sweet find as well. Congrats. :thumbsup: jgas

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
wow, an artillery button and a flyer in the same hunt! :thumbsup:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
That's what I would call a great hunt. An artillery button, 1870's IH and a flying eagle cent. It don't get no better. :thumbsup:

As far as cleaning, my preference is to leave them as is. I kinda like the way they look dug. :)

A very nice hunt postalgriff. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions