My first week detecting

wormhole

Oct 5, 2004
Lindenhurst, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Well I gotta say its been quite a first week for me. I am having the time of my life and metal detecting has come a long way from when I owned my first detector back in the 70s. Mind you that was a $25.00 Radio Shack model (tandy) I believe and I was just a wee 12 year old that used it twice then took it apart. I haven't detected since then and am so thrilled with my new DFX. The weather in NY has been wet but unseasonably warm so I have been out there. I have gone hunting 6 times in 8 days. When it was raining I tried the sandwich baggy over the units brain and screen but gave up fearing that my new investment would get ruined. In between the rain drops I managed to find a decent amount of stuff. I haven't gotten to the beach yet but have hit the local park and my old grade school yard. I also managed to detect a turn of the century house that my sister recently bought. The house was owned by rum-runners and I am hoping that when I get some serious time off that I will be able to detect it properly. I didn't spend much time there yet but when I was there I managed to dig up a really cool sterling silver chess piece. It is a knight and is solid sterling (I think). When I have the chance, I will post some pictures. I am hoping to find more. This house is really cool. It isn't quite a gold coast home but it is close. The house even has a bookshelf that opens into another room, a gin tub in the attic and a false chimney that was used to spot police boats on the Long Island Sound before the gin was shot down tubes (old-fashioned banking tube) in the house to the basement where they were loaded onto boats for distribution. Before I found the chess piece I thought that I had found a cache. I got a real high tone but dont recall what the vdi was. I started to dig. Unfortunately, I was digging right next to a rather large tree with super roots! I didn't care. I wanted to see what was making that sweet sound. After much ado, I got down to about 7 inches and hit a (you guessed it) HUGE ROOT. The signal was coming from below the root. I managed to dig a little with my fingertips and hit an edge . I figured it was an old box. Visions of Gold Eagels danced thru my head...I dug down on the other side of the root and found another edge. By this time I was giddy...knowing that many rum-runners did not deposit their funds in a bank and insisted on being paid in gold. I got out my probe and touched the box. Yep it was metal. I clawed and scratched my way under its edge slowly and carefully prying it up. Mind you I was digging with my fingertips at this point. Eventually I was able to get my fingertips under the edge and work the 'box' out of the hole. Dam!! was I pissed. I t was an old crushed aerosol can. but it sure was fun digging it up.

Over the next few days I hunted the school yard and park. Since I had actually attended this particular grade school I knew where all the key areas were. I knew where the old playground was and where the old sandbox was. As I walked to the sandbox, I had my DFX at my side not swinging it but just grazing the surface of the field when I heard this super high tone. This time I checked the vdi and it read high 70s. The graph pegged it as a dime/penny. I dug. I pulled up my first silver coin. a 1924 Mercury dime. It was awesome coming out of that hole all shiny like. I knew it was gonna be a good day. I went on to find over $6.00 in clad. A small clad cache (4 coins in one hole) and 2 silver rings.

Before I knew it, it was dark and security was locking up the yard. I am definately goin back real soon. I have only touched a small area of the school yard and know theres a lot more there. It may very well be virgin ground.

I'll let ye know what happens .

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Worm,

welcome to the board and welcome back to metal detecting.

Sounds like you had a good week, silver is always nice.

Looking forward to when you are able to post some pics.

have a good un...............

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello Worm, & Welcome to the forum...
Sounds like a good week,,, Congrats on all that silver!!!
Good luck, keep us posted, & Happy hunting~

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Wormhole, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you had an excellent start re-discovering the hobby! Congrats!

HH!
TBGO

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Welcome to the madness.If you want to hunt a turn of the century house(1863).And you are in New Hampshire let me know.One catch lots of trash in my yard.But i have got a lot of it out.i have pulled silver out.some old Canadian coins, French coins and this is just the beginning for my place.I don't hit my yard to much.I save it for day's i don't want to travel.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wormhole, welcome to Tnet and welcome back to the detecting obsession. You will soon find out there's a lot of great signals under tree roots. I don't know why but it will drive you batty!

I've got a DFX, too, and love it.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Wormy!

That sounds like an awesome house! With lots and lots of hiding places! Could keep you busy for months!

And the aerosol can story! :D I know how you feel! Shannon found a signal at the corner of the old barn and she was diggin and diggin and finally yelled for help. Well we finally got to the metal and carefully dug all around the edges. Our first thought...oh my gosh...I think we found the top of an old iron chest! It's top was rounded and it was oblong....what else could it be but! Then we dug for another few minutes and found that it was.....a big 'ole shovel! :-\ But the excitement of just thinking about what it could be was great! :D

Congrats on your finds! Looking forward to your posts!

Nana ;)

ps.....I don't think you oughtta take that DFX apart! :P :D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome wormhole..and congrat's on your first silver.Sound's like you got a few place's worth lookin' into.Keep diggin' and keep us posted on your next find's..HH!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back to MDing & congratulations on your finds. The rum runners house sounds like it is going to be a treasure chest to hunt in & around.

Loved your run in with the roots story.

HH

T

texva

nice find i am in my first few weeks of metal detecting also i wish i could find some silver congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions