Old Soldiers Cellar Hole

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi everyone, Fought some brutal weather this weekend to get a hunt in. I have been doing a ton of research here lately. I have been concentrating on early 1800's sites.

I decided I had to put my hard work to the test and see if I was right. Well I was and I was led to a early cellar hole. I have been studying maps, aerial photos and topo maps to try and locate some old sites.

My first place I had one the list turned out to be a winner. I told Lance I had a good feeling that there was something back in these old woods I was studying. And I was right. We went down the old road witch is not in operation went 400 yards back into the woods and bam. I was right on top of a old pile of rock to show were a old home used to be.

I am onto some stuff right now. I need to get a gps to help aid with doing this kind of hunting. I don't want to get lost deep in some woods. I have some other one's on the list also.

It was very slow for coins though. Only 3 wheat's found and they were probably lost by hunters. This happens at these early sites sometimes. Just a ton of relics to be found. Not alot of money to be lost back then.

We went out Saturday for about three hrs and got rained on for awhile. I'm a die hard hunter. I have a full weather beater on my machine for these conditions. Sunday we went out like crazy guys. It was 18 on Sunday. But once a site gets in my blood I'm out there.

I found what I think is a war of 1812 riflemen militia button. I can't find the exact one though. Mine is domed shaped and the rest seem to be flat. The back reads orange gilt colour. It's in really nice shape to. I got a few early flat buttons also. I also found a button with the back missing and it has 6 stars on it. I never seen one like it before.

If anyone could help with it I'd be grateful. These were the most notable finds at the site. I know most of the stuff is trash I just wanted to show you all how much I dig while I'm out and how well the dfx handles every type of target. This machine doesn't miss anything.

Lance found a cache of 11 belt buckles and I found one very large one. Must have been a big guy. The site is very large. You can tell by the way it is laid out. Real nice creek in the back yard old wagon roads to.

I was also digging some of the largest pieces of iron I have come across to. Not far from this place is a restored historic log home from the late 1700's. They probably knew one another. This guy had a fort not far away to. Alot of Indians in the area back then. I checked the fort but the road construction ruined the site.

I'll have to get back and hit it again. The grounds there were very inconsistent to. Every other area had different soils. There was some of the thickest moss in front of the home I ever seen to. It was alot of fun and I'll continue to research these sites for the spring and winter season. Your not gonna get back in these spots in the summer.

Also wanted to say I live in Pittsburgh and the Steelers were awesome. I love football and this is a die hard city for it. The place erupted with the win. They are by far the best fans in the NFL. Go Steelers super bowl 40 champs.

Thanks for looking

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Soldier buttons.jpg
    Soldier buttons.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 669
  • Soldier button backs.jpg
    Soldier button backs.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 659
  • old soldiers choice relics.jpg
    old soldiers choice relics.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 671
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Capt. Can't wait to get back out to the site. The weather has been really cold here though right now. The wife is off work friday so I might fight the cold and venture back.

I stay up at night for hrs reading maps and anything I can get my hands on. I am really trying to concentrate on early sites right now. I have found alot of stuff from 1850 to present. Now I am trying to build that early 1800's stuff now.

This is what it takes nowwadays to find this stuff. Deep in the woods hunting cellar holes. There are still enough of them around and they arean't found by your average hunters. The more familar you are with the area's and roads the better your chances.

I have spoted over a dozen potential sites to hit. Not all will pan out and I can't be cutting through people's back yards to hunt them. I look for places I can get into without any permission.

I like to do most of my hunting in the spring winter and fall. Summer is to hot and dry. I also play in a semi pro baseball league for the Pittsburgh Blacksox in the summer. It's hard to detect all day in the heat and play ball at night.

I'll keep you all posted. I'm sure there's still something there for me to uncover. With the way I hunt sites I constantly have to have another lined up for the next hunt. It takes work but this is something I love to do. I also have a younger brother who tags along with me to every site. Try ands find sites consistently for 2 guys to hunt is tough. But I always seem to get it done.

I'm waiting for him to get a car and get older. Then maybe he can pay me back for all the sites I have found LoL.

HH Jeremy

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
wow looks like you guys got yourselves a beauty of spot to hunt. did you happen to find any bottles

hh

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks DG. Yes there were a few bottles lieying around on the surface. There were tons of shards all over the place. I think I know were the bottle pit at the site is also. It has been covered over with a few huge stones. I am going to lift them up and dig it out at some point.

At the last cellar hole me and my brother dug one out about 6 ft deep and got alot of bottles out of it. None older than the 20's but we didn't want to go any deeper because we would have been stuck in it.

This site seems to be alot older and it would be great to find some early 1800's bottles. They are worth more than the coins and artifacts. I'll let you all know. I need a lader at the site. I have alot of these sites and one has a well a good 25 ft deep. Probably deeper but I can't tell just by judging it.

I do have some bottle digging experience but I am not a master at it. I love to bottle dig to. Alot of fun doing it and hard work.

HH Jer

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Aaron. There are dirt bike trails back in these woods. I actually scared a guy who was back there. I left a shovel at the beggining of the trail. They stopped and were looking at me reving there engines.

There was a body a few weeks back found in the same area and they got scared seeing 2 guys and a shovel back there. I would have thought twice also. You don't see to many people back in these woods if any. They slowly aproached me and were nice. I stopped and talked with them for awhile.

I think it was a plug just thrown back there on the path. They probably had to change one out while back there and just left it there.

I would like to carry a peice but my wife feals I will shoot someone if something goes down. So the only weapons I take are my hands. I go into some bad areas but fear nobody. God's with me and I am a very street smart individual. I never had any problems even in the worst of areas.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread