Old Soldiers Cellar Hole

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi everyone, Fought some brutal weather this weekend to get a hunt in. I have been doing a ton of research here lately. I have been concentrating on early 1800's sites.

I decided I had to put my hard work to the test and see if I was right. Well I was and I was led to a early cellar hole. I have been studying maps, aerial photos and topo maps to try and locate some old sites.

My first place I had one the list turned out to be a winner. I told Lance I had a good feeling that there was something back in these old woods I was studying. And I was right. We went down the old road witch is not in operation went 400 yards back into the woods and bam. I was right on top of a old pile of rock to show were a old home used to be.

I am onto some stuff right now. I need to get a gps to help aid with doing this kind of hunting. I don't want to get lost deep in some woods. I have some other one's on the list also.

It was very slow for coins though. Only 3 wheat's found and they were probably lost by hunters. This happens at these early sites sometimes. Just a ton of relics to be found. Not alot of money to be lost back then.

We went out Saturday for about three hrs and got rained on for awhile. I'm a die hard hunter. I have a full weather beater on my machine for these conditions. Sunday we went out like crazy guys. It was 18 on Sunday. But once a site gets in my blood I'm out there.

I found what I think is a war of 1812 riflemen militia button. I can't find the exact one though. Mine is domed shaped and the rest seem to be flat. The back reads orange gilt colour. It's in really nice shape to. I got a few early flat buttons also. I also found a button with the back missing and it has 6 stars on it. I never seen one like it before.

If anyone could help with it I'd be grateful. These were the most notable finds at the site. I know most of the stuff is trash I just wanted to show you all how much I dig while I'm out and how well the dfx handles every type of target. This machine doesn't miss anything.

Lance found a cache of 11 belt buckles and I found one very large one. Must have been a big guy. The site is very large. You can tell by the way it is laid out. Real nice creek in the back yard old wagon roads to.

I was also digging some of the largest pieces of iron I have come across to. Not far from this place is a restored historic log home from the late 1700's. They probably knew one another. This guy had a fort not far away to. Alot of Indians in the area back then. I checked the fort but the road construction ruined the site.

I'll have to get back and hit it again. The grounds there were very inconsistent to. Every other area had different soils. There was some of the thickest moss in front of the home I ever seen to. It was alot of fun and I'll continue to research these sites for the spring and winter season. Your not gonna get back in these spots in the summer.

Also wanted to say I live in Pittsburgh and the Steelers were awesome. I love football and this is a die hard city for it. The place erupted with the win. They are by far the best fans in the NFL. Go Steelers super bowl 40 champs.

Thanks for looking

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Soldier buttons.jpg
    Soldier buttons.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 669
  • Soldier button backs.jpg
    Soldier button backs.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 659
  • old soldiers choice relics.jpg
    old soldiers choice relics.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 671
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Here are all the relics guys.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Old soldier relics.jpg
    Old soldier relics.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 649
  • Old soldier relics 1.jpg
    Old soldier relics 1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 655
  • Old soldier relics 2.jpg
    Old soldier relics 2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 650

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?What some great buttons Jeremy! ?:o

And you're right about hunting those places in the summer! Better hunt 'em now!

? ? ? ? ? Congrats on your finds and good luck on your return trip!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?;)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some unique finds...except for that old spark plug. ? Wishing you luck on future finds in that area. ?Sounds like a good place. ?HH

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd say you latched onto something there Jer.Can't be the last post on this ,Good luck and HH!!

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at the post on this forum Called (GOLD) by timNY check out the picture of the button he has

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
One things for certain,,, if there's anything there your going to find it... ;D
That's a lot of dig'n, but ya got some nice keepers though, WTG!!! The sites sound awesome...
Good luck with 'em, & Happy hunting~

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ?The Button you found is a Riflemen Militia, 1 -Piece ?with border and outer circle of rope. ?It is in the Alberts Blue Book as a RF27B....It has 13 six-pointed stars,7 above and 6 below, on an oval lined field. ? the Date of this button is around the time period of 1816...The number of the regiment is sometimes displayed within the curve of the bugle... Hope this helps... ? Seeker

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
JerDFX,

Hello!

Now those are some nice finds! Looks like you found a great site!

I'll be looking forward to more posts about the finds from this site, and also many others from you as well.

It is an interesting read to say the least, and I agree, the first button appears to be that of the Rifleman Regiment (as noted "RR" on some early buttons), but according to the text that follows later, a dispatch from "G. O. Adjit. & Insp. Genl. Office, March 15, 1816 Regulations include" "Riflemen-flat yellow buttons, which shall exhibit a bugle, surrounded by stars, with the number of the regiment within the curve of the bugle."

Which your button find is significant of the RF 27B type.

Very nice find!

The other is not distinguishable at all, however, you might try a photo trick I had once learned and that is to look at the "negative" of the image using photo manipulative software. I use the Adobe Photoshop Business addition. It is a remarkable program.

Well, I hope that this helps.

Good luck!

Happy Hunting!

T.G.Creations

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Jer, GREAT STUFF! Nice buttons, and some good looking relics. But don't be so quick to call it all junk.........in your picture'old soldier relics 1.JPG', the one with the table knife, I think you have a CW cartridge box rivet. The whatsit on the bottom row, third from the left. It looks just like a rivet I dug at a site in Tennessee. Maybe not, but from the picture it looks like mine.

You remind me of myself, a bit, in regard to the diehard hunting ethic. When you gotta hunt, you gotta hunt............

Great finds.

Roger

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I wanted to say thanks for all the replies everyone. The thrill for me anymore is finding the actually site and learning all I can about the finds.

I really appreciate the extra time you took to scan those photos TG. It had some really great info attached to it.

The button with the stars on it was found in the same section. If the back was still on it I probably could have researched it. It looks to be of war type though. I will look into the photo trick and see what I can come up with.

I never throw away anything except pull tabs. You just never know. You can imagine how much metal I have stacked away. There wasn't one tab at this site. It was to deep in the woods and away from civilization.

The last cellar hole I hunted I found 4 old coppers in the 8 to 9 inch range. I use the 1400 and I get great depth with it. I was surprised none turned up. But there was a section either the front of the house or back we couldn't hunt. It was all swamp land from the rains.

You could tell it was used because there were no tree's in the area. Just moss and briar's. The coins may be in that section. I was digging targets well over a foot deep.

There was also alot of giant deep iron around. I may have to dig some more of it up. A coin ten inches deep on a angle mixed with iron will read a little funny. I took a shovel to the site because it had some of the worst roots I ever encountered.

It was a good site to hunt and I'm sure there's still some more left there. I may get back out Friday to the site. I'll keep you all posted and thanks again to all of you for the help.

HH Jer

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Hey Jeremy. That button is a great find. We have yet to find any "old" buttons. In fact we have found very few buttons at all. I'm suprised - no old nails?

Nate tried out the 1400DD coil. He had a little trouble pinpointing with it and a lot of times it gives a 3.5-4.5 " depth reading even when the coin is near the surface. Not as heavy as we expected. Looks like you can cover more ground with it. Don't know if we will get out anytime soon as we don't have any hots spots and are not hard core. ;)

Good luck at this site

Bob

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot Cyn. I wish I could have done a even better job with the picks. I'm a perfectionist and try to get it perfect everytime.

I always have alot of scans to do and it gets to be alot. I am using a hp scanjet automatic document feeder/scanner. It's a very expensive piece of equipment. You can scan stuff in 7 seconds or less. It has a max resolution of 2400 dpi. These scans are only in 1200. The better I get with it the better the photos.

Thanks alot for noticing how the picks came out. I always wonder what people think of the picks when I post them. I like to keep them zoomed for you all so you can get a good look at them. It makes it a little longer to view them but they look pretty good once done.

The 1400 mirage takes time. I have been using this unit for 4 yrs straight. With thousands of field hrs on it. It comes a little more natural for me I would say. The better you are on the unit the easier it is. The weight isn't that bad. I adjusted already and don't notice it. You have to be digging alot of garbage signals to find buttons. They are there it just takes time. Once you start finding them you'll know what vdi they read.

Once a guy told me the dfx wasn't a button machine. I guess his partner didn't know what he was doing. This was also from a minlab explorer guy to. I guess with as many people now using the dfx one could get tiered of hearing about them. I know I do and I have one and love it.

HH Jer

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot Cyn. I really appreciate you noticing what goes into all this. I guess I have developed a good way of taking picks after hundreds of scans of just metal objects.

I found 2 ways to get the photos the way they are. One is to keep the lid open and shut all the blinds and lights off and take the scan. I don't know if this can be achieved on all scanners or just this one.

Step 2 you can keep the lid open and put a black piece of construction paper or foam or anything your mind feels would do the trick.

I made W&E 2005 best finds mag this year also. I am also currently working on another story right now to. I haven't said anything yet. I wanna make sure it all goes through first. I know for sure the best finds mag did.

I have a really awesome story to cap off for you all here. It's in the making and I will let you all know once it is done.

Send me a giant pile of trash and I'll make it into art for you lol. Then I will send you the photos through the e-mail.

Thanks alot your building my confidence as we speak.

Take care Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions