Another Exploding Bullet and other CW Finds...

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finally all the snow is gone and the weather has been nice in Maryland. I was able to get out for a couple of hunts this weekend since I was able to get a kitchen pass. Trying to get as many hunts as I can since my wife is due with out little girl this May. Went back to an area I found an Exploding Bullet this past fall and was lucky enough to be rewarded with another one. I use a Safari detector and usually know what sound it makes with lead but since the Exploding bullet is made from pewter it was a totally different tone. When I flipped the plug and saw the bullet I immediately new what it was. It definitely made my day. I also found my oldest coin to date, 1906 Indian Head. I was hoping the coin to be CW era but I take what I can get. Found a few bullets, William's cleaner, Sharps Carbine and two flat buttons. Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting. I posted a picture of both my Exploding bullets next to each other for comparison. The one I found this weekend is not in as good of a condition as the one I found this past fall.

Attachments

• Hunt.jpg
    Hunt.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 657
  • Hunt1.jpg
    Hunt1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 657
  • Hunt2.jpg
    Hunt2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 635
  • Hunt3.jpg
    Hunt3.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 634
  • Hunt4.jpg
    Hunt4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 633
  • Hunt5.jpg
    Hunt5.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 636
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why that is as cool as it gets. Nice hunt. I was not aware of such a bullet? I learn every day on here.
Nice finds!!
TnMtns

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TnMountains said:
Why that is as cool as it gets. Nice hunt. I was not aware of such a bullet? I learn every day on here.
Nice finds!!
TnMtns

If it was not for this website then I would have never known I had an exploding bullet. I read this everyday just to learn new things.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another great and rare recovery RR3!!! I have never found one. I was not aware of pewter content but thought the bullet was lead cast over a copper insert. WTG and I would certainly go back there and look for another. HH.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, some nice finds. Congrats.....

Dirtfish

Dec 27, 2009
#*&%!
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500 , Ace 250
That's not an exploding bullet!! It's still in one piece!!.........Joke.....Very cool finds.I love finding anything CW era.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another exploding bullet looks like you had a great hunt! :thumbsup:

jimjoy

Dec 28, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Great find. You seem to be the lucky one in the group. Could there be more where that came from? Best of luck with future hunts.

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Another great and rare recovery RR3!!! I have never found one. I was not aware of pewter content but thought the bullet was lead cast over a copper insert. WTG and I would certainly go back there and look for another. HH.

I think you are right, dont know to much about them other then info I got off the net, thanks.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds.

The story about the exploding bullets is when they were first invented, they were passed out to soldiers. One such soldier had 40 exploding bullets in his cartridge box. The box was hit by a bullet and he was killed instantly, but the bullets kept exploding until they were all gone, over an hour later!

Other soldiers heard what happened to the poor soul who had 40 rounds of exploding bullets in his cartridge box and they quickly threw theirs away. So that is why you find them intact.

My buddy found one in Virginia a year ago and several other people asked him where he found it, they hunted the same place and 5 more of them were found the same day.

HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• P1030310.JPG
    P1030310.JPG
    400.2 KB · Views: 328
OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ringfinder said:
Nice assortment of finds.

The story about the exploding bullets is when they were first invented, they were passed out to soldiers. One such soldier had 40 exploding bullets in his cartridge box. The box was hit by a bullet and he was killed instantly, but the bullets kept exploding until they were all gone, over an hour later!

Other soldiers heard what happened to the poor soul who had 40 rounds of exploding bullets in his cartridge box and they quickly threw theirs away. So that is why you find them intact.

My buddy found one in Virginia a year ago and several other people asked him where he found it, they hunted the same place and 5 more of them were found the same day.

HH, Ringfinder
Thanks for the information, its very interesting. I wouldn't want to carry them either. So far the exploding bullets are my best metal detecting finds. I am sure there are some more out there. I would not mind finding a few more. I did hear stories about troops aiming at cartridge boxes using the exploding bullets to ignite the ammo. Thanks again.

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
Sounds like an old wives tale to me.

A bullet impacting a sack of even 1000 would not trigger a 40 min chain reaction, if any.

It's the kind of story that troops would tell the new guys in the field.

I'll bet the exploding bullets were just in the experimental stages and were being sent to the battlefield for trials.

Awesome find though!!!!

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread