FIRST SILVER FIND EVER!!!

southmaindigger

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2006
Southwest Ohio
The sun was shining and the temperature was about 35 degrees. I decided to get a little bit of detecting in before dark. I walked 10 feet out my front door and started poking around. After about 5 minutes, I got a bottlecap/nickel reading and pulled up a 1940 nickel. I started scanning again and a few inches away from the nickel I got an iffy reading in the 80's range of my VDI. I decided to dig and pulled out this beautiful 1940 Merc. My first silver find as a detectorist. I was squealing with joy. My neighbors probably thought I was insane, but I don't care. My XLT is finally starting to pay for itself. Thanks to everyone for posting your great finds. Cruising this site is now one of my daily routines.

Southmaindigger

Attachments

• 1940 Mercury obv..jpg
    1940 Mercury obv..jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent find southmaindigger! Not everyone can detect within 10 feet of their house. Keep swingin' and diggin'!

HH!
TBGO

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you're hooked!
Welcome to the forum. Thats how I felt when I found my first silver coin.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum, SMD. Those are some nice finds. I love those mercuries! :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulation's on your first silver and may there be many more...Welcome and HH!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats awesome! my first silver find was a merc too and ill never forget how good it felt seeing that beautifull coin come out of the ground! somehow it never gets old finding silver! well done!!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Southmaindigger! That first piece of silver is always the hardest. It took me almost 3 mos to find mine, a big old sterling silver Tiffany & Co mens ring. Now that the first ones in the bag, the rest will come faster!!! HH!

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!
Nice Find!!

Joe

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro
She's beautiful. Great find. the past couple weeks I have gotten out found some Wheaties and a dairy token.( will post pics when I get the chance.) But yet have found my first silver coin.... GG and HH....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread