Update on 1787 Connecticut Copper ***VERY RARE VARIETY WITH 13-20 KNOWN***

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Well, first off, I'm glad to say that we have gotten off of the skunk mobile, IP. :laughing9:

KKC (KirkKyleChris) got out to a new site on March 21 that I had researched. After I presented the research to Chris, he secured the permission like a champ. Our group is all about the team effort. One guy never does all of the work to get into a new vanished site.

The day started off with the usual buttons and Colonial dwelling relics. I ended the day with 14 buttons, the most I ever dug in one day.

Then, it happened, folks! BAM! 1839 Coronet cent! 15 minutes later, BAM! 1810 Classic Head half cent! 30 minutes later, BAM! King George III halfpenny! I was ecstatic at this point, as you will see in the attached video of my recoveries! 20 minutes later, BAM! 1801 Draped Bust large cent! I ended the day with probably my best condition copper so far! I filmed the recovery from start to end, and you will see my excitement when I saw the shape that it was in! My last copper, which was my 5th for the day, turned out to be a very nice 1787 Connecticut copper!

KKC ended the day with 10 coppers on Sunday! We will be swinging over the ground this Sunday, so stay tuned for more recoveries!

Here is the video of the coppers:

Here is an update on the variety of my Connecticut copper from a well-known expert:

Hi Kyle:
It came through loud and clear.
In my opinion you have a 1787 Miller 33.38-gg.1.
The diagnostics are great on the reverse. As you see, there is a large die crack through the D, through the stem of the laurel branch and into the figure's waist. That is diagnostic of a late die gg.1 state. Combined with that reverse there are only four obverses and only the 33.38 matches yours.

It is a very rare coin with an estimate 13 to 20 known as a high R-6. In recent auctions undamaged ones have sold in the $1000 vicinity.

Attachments

• Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 522
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 517
  • March Bonanza 018.JPG
    March Bonanza 018.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,802
  • March Bonanza 021.JPG
    March Bonanza 021.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 3,778
  • March Bonanza 023.JPG
    March Bonanza 023.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 3,774
  • March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,760
  • Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner Bump! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: 13-20 known. :wink: I guess it isn't rare enough. ::)

Kirk

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Banner Bump! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: 13-20 known. :wink: I guess it isn't rare enough. ::)

Kirk
No field-dug PA coppers are allowed , esp. those non scruffy , rare ones ::)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Why don't you just come out and SAY in a reply that you're JEALOUS that Don made the banner again. I didn't nominate this one that you dug, because I had some conversations with knowledgeable people about this coin, and it is overblown and too built up as rarer than it actually is.

I did, however, nominate Don's "scruffy" Draped. :wink:

The Finds Banner is not the only thing in life.

Have a Nice Day.

-Buck

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Don't belittle my find, BB, because it is top-notch.

It is a great find. Why don't you boys keep bumping it up to the top 'til Christmas. :notworthy:

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
KylePA said:
BuckleBoy said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Why don't you just come out and SAY in a reply that you're JEALOUS that Don made the banner again. I didn't nominate this one that you dug, because I had some conversations with knowledgeable people about this coin, and it is overblown and too built up as rarer than it actually is.

I did, however, nominate Don's "scruffy" Draped. :wink:

The Finds Banner is not the only thing in life.

Have a Nice Day.

-Buck

You should be worrying about where you are going to hunt in developed LA. :wink:

Who cares about the banner, right? I DON'T!!! :thumbsup: Zeus and I have had conversations about the banner, and we both agreed that, when we dig rare relics, we hope they don't make it.
Terrific coin, no matter what.

The way I look at it, every time I post something here it's a banner find...for me! Not everyone here is tuned to every significant or extraordinary find. Some or the Europeans and Brits make some exceptional finds but they are marginalized because not every one thinks a Saxon piece (or something like that) is anything great. The converse is a lot true in reverse when someone here finds a dirty old pipe that just happens to be a significant relic from a tribe in the Americas. It's tough to have a point of reference for everything posted here.

The most important thing for any one posting anything here is that they found something and recovered it for the rest of us to appreciate it in our own way. I'll never snub any one posting anything here, be it the most important find ever or the most trivial because we all like to think our finds are the best, because we found them!

There's a massive amount of knowledge here and I try to drink it all in, despite the fact I may never hit the banner. It's the knowledge that's the best part of finding the stuff!

Keep on hunting. Remember, if you post it, it's a banner find!

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am voting banner, even with the nice scratches from rubbing.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:

No harm was done to the copper by rubbing it. :icon_thumleft: We have dug close to 200 coppers in 3 years and have experience with this stuff. Now silver is a different story. :wink:

Kirk

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
AGCoinHunter said:

No harm was done to the copper by rubbing it. :icon_thumleft: We have dug close to 200 coppers in 3 years and have experience with this stuff. Now silver is a different story. :wink:

Kirk

Sorry cant agree with you on that, but still a nice coin. If you are taking this angle because its already pitted and corroded and whats a few more scratches, I understand. But trust me, those scratches do make a huge difference if and when you decide to sell.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
Kirk PA said:
AGCoinHunter said:

Kirk

Sorry cant agree with you on that, but still a nice coin. If you are taking this angle because its already pitted and corroded and whats a few more scratches, I understand. But trust me, those scratches do make a huge difference if and when you decide to sell.

If you look at those scratches, they are OLD scratches from 200 years ago. There is patina IN the scratches.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
Kirk PA said:
AGCoinHunter said:

Kirk

You wouldn't want to watch me clean some of mine... :-X because once they soak for a while in hydrogen peroxide I often rub them using the corrosion that is coming off as a grit to help better clean.

If I dug an early copper that for some reason came out looking like a high grade non dug, I would not rub it, but I have never one of those. There is no ill effect by rubbing the loose dirt off because dug coppers have far more issues. If and how to clean is much more important.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Kirk PA said:
AGCoinHunter said:

Kirk

You wouldn't want to watch me clean some of mine... :-X because once they soak for a while in hydrogen peroxide I often rub them using the corrosion that is coming off as a grit to help better clean.

If I dug an early copper that for some reason came out looking like a high grade non dug, I would not rub it, but I have never one of those. There is no ill effect by rubbing the loose dirt off because dug coppers have far more issues. If and how to clean is much more important.

I agree with IP ....actually seen a coin bring in more money because of the good job cleaning it... every coin/situation is different

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Kirk PA said:
AGCoinHunter said:

Kirk

I agree with IP ....actually seen a coin bring in more money because of the good job cleaning it... every coin/situation is different

You actually seen, cuz I actually done. :headbang: :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread