Update on 1787 Connecticut Copper ***VERY RARE VARIETY WITH 13-20 KNOWN***

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Well, first off, I'm glad to say that we have gotten off of the skunk mobile, IP. :laughing9:

KKC (KirkKyleChris) got out to a new site on March 21 that I had researched. After I presented the research to Chris, he secured the permission like a champ. Our group is all about the team effort. One guy never does all of the work to get into a new vanished site.

The day started off with the usual buttons and Colonial dwelling relics. I ended the day with 14 buttons, the most I ever dug in one day.

Then, it happened, folks! BAM! 1839 Coronet cent! 15 minutes later, BAM! 1810 Classic Head half cent! 30 minutes later, BAM! King George III halfpenny! I was ecstatic at this point, as you will see in the attached video of my recoveries! 20 minutes later, BAM! 1801 Draped Bust large cent! I ended the day with probably my best condition copper so far! I filmed the recovery from start to end, and you will see my excitement when I saw the shape that it was in! My last copper, which was my 5th for the day, turned out to be a very nice 1787 Connecticut copper!

KKC ended the day with 10 coppers on Sunday! We will be swinging over the ground this Sunday, so stay tuned for more recoveries!

Here is the video of the coppers:

Here is an update on the variety of my Connecticut copper from a well-known expert:

Hi Kyle:
It came through loud and clear.
In my opinion you have a 1787 Miller 33.38-gg.1.
The diagnostics are great on the reverse. As you see, there is a large die crack through the D, through the stem of the laurel branch and into the figure's waist. That is diagnostic of a late die gg.1 state. Combined with that reverse there are only four obverses and only the 33.38 matches yours.

It is a very rare coin with an estimate 13 to 20 known as a high R-6. In recent auctions undamaged ones have sold in the $1000 vicinity.

Attachments

• Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 522
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 517
  • March Bonanza 018.JPG
    March Bonanza 018.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,802
  • March Bonanza 021.JPG
    March Bonanza 021.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 3,778
  • March Bonanza 023.JPG
    March Bonanza 023.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 3,774
  • March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,760
  • Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Five Variety Copper Bonanza *Video Included*

holy cow! now THAT's a party i wouldn't fall asleep at. awesome!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That Connecticut copper has a ton of detail! Sweet a$$ find!!!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Brother,

You hit the jackpot once again with your research! PA is tops for digging the Colonial stuff. It just doesn't get better than digging in a field and popping millions of coppers in one day. We dug 13 coppers in one day last year and this year we already hit 10. I have a feeling KKC is going to pound out 20 coppers in one day in the near future. Keep doing this research and I will supplement you with some of mine.

I can bet the farm that there are more coppers in this iron patch. We will pick between the iron and dig more on Sunday. We must! We will! :headbang:

Awesome filming as well! These videos add so much to our threads now. Everyone on the forum can see what it is like to hunt with KKC now. No such thing as a jinx! :headbang:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You guys never cease to amaze me... Awesome finds once again!!!

DANGLANGLEY

Swingit

Apr 29, 2007
Southwestern, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon

Sweet Finds :headbang:
Awesome Vid!! So much passion, gotta love it!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

"Tearing it up" is an understatement!!! Great finds and HH guys!!!

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NIce SPOT! I love watching videos with coppers! Good job guys!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

You 2 were on fire. We should have called the burn unit. You know there is more there. We will find out very soon. :headbang:
Chris

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
That Connecticut copper has a ton of detail! Sweet a$$ find!!!
What he said!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome Ct. And Congrats on all the coins! Hogge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gotta like that! You're dirt rots coppers like here, but if you dig enough some like that CT will beat the odds! You guys have a great site going! I think I'd probably push the button if I was offfered just one site in the Spring that was like that. Well maybe not, I want a few like that! :thumbsup:

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch said:
Gotta like that! You're dirt rots coppers like here, but if you dig enough some like that CT will beat the odds! You guys have a great site going! I think I'd probably push the button if I was offfered just one site in the Spring that was like that. Well maybe not, I want a few like that! :thumbsup:

IP, as good as it sounds, nuclear warfare does not justify a couple of old coppers in pocket. Get a grip on yourself, man. The thaw will come by July!

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Geat video love the excitement of those coins. Great job and HH :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dwayne sueno said:
Iron Patch said:

IP, as good as it sounds, nuclear warfare does not justify a couple of old coppers in pocket. Get a grip on yourself, man. The thaw will come by July!

Yeah it's a button fix I need more than a copper!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that I have seen the video your site doesn't appear to be anywhere close to water? It's very seldom we dig oldies like that away from our rivers, bays, or creeks.

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Iron Patch said:

After seeing that it was a Connec., I got really excited, but I flipped out after seeing the condition of it. PA field-dug coppers just don't come out of the ground in this condition too many times, so it makes the find that more special.

We believe that the farmer plows this field, because many artifacts (e.g., 1864 Indian, tombac button, pewter spoon handle, etc.) were picked off of the ground. If he does plow it, we should get more coppers for the pile. You wouldn't believe how much the iron is masking the goodies here. I kept saying, throughout the day, "Dang, this iron patch is ridiculous."

Chris' Coronet cent was dug in an area that we killed throughout the day, so there is a lot of hope still for this site. If we missed his copper, I wonder how many we missed that were in the areas that we didn't focus on too much?

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250

Awsome video !! It is great to see the old copper coins come out of the dirt !

You guys can really get it done :thumbsup: I guess that I need to get swingin' if I want to keep up :headbang:

Once again great video and greater finds, VPR

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on some nice copper recoveries that conn. is awesome :thumbsup: What a great hunt that was a lot of buttons for one hunt. You all are the copper kings! :notworthy:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
Iron Patch said:

After seeing that it was a Connec., I got really excited, but I flipped out after seeing the condition of it. PA field-dug coppers just don't come out of the ground in this condition too many times, so it makes the find that more special.

We believe that the farmer plows this field, because many artifacts (e.g., 1864 Indian, tombac button, pewter spoon handle, etc.) were picked off of the ground. If he does plow it, we should get more coppers for the pile. You wouldn't believe how much the iron is masking the goodies here. I kept saying, throughout the day, "Dang, this iron patch is ridiculous."

Chris' Coronet cent was dug in an area that we killed throughout the day, so there is a lot of hope still for this site. If we missed his copper, I wonder how many we missed that were in the areas that we didn't focus on too much?

You wrote some of what I said on the other thread. Lots of great digging left there!

I too have a fairly decent CT and lucky it beat the odds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread