Its Raining SILVER

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
It's Raining SILVER

I've been hunting a "lost" camp with Mark since I learned of it during earlier research. We've been making some great finds, and it's been quite a productive site, and it's obvious it's never seen a coil until we got there :thumbsup: In my last post I mentioned that I had set a new milestone, finding 24 silver coins since our last MD club meeting (3/9/10), and that I count my months like fiscal years, whereas they start when our club meets. Yesterday Mark (beachbumm) said he was under the weather, so I worked on some stuff around the house, but finally decided I needed to get my "fix" :tongue1: I only had a couple of hours to detect, and decided to clear out a new area near where I'd previously found a silver quarter. After half an hour or so of working it, my coil finally hit the ground. After a few wheaties, my first silver signal was a 1948 silver Washington quarter :headbang: More wheaties, and then a 1918 merc. After this area was void of signals, I moved to another spot and freewheeled through the weeds. I got a nice signal, dug down and for a split second though the first gold from this site had decided to show itself, but it wasn't to be, and it turned out to be a gold plated St Christopher medallion. A bit later I dug a scout arrowhead slider, which unfortunately appears to have been made from some kind of plated zinc and it's pretty corroded (bummer, I'd love to see what it originally looked like). It was starting to get dark, so I headed home.

I decided to return this afternoon, and wanted to do a little recon to check on another spot that I've been trying to locate. I think I've found it, but decided to hunt it at another time, so I returned to the camp. This camp site is mostly overgrown with weeds, fallen trees and tons of poison oak. After the first couple of hunts we decided that we needed to clear areas out in order to find new spots to hunt, and sure enough as we clear areas out, we find new goodies. Today I cleared a new spot, which took about an hour but made a nice dent in it. For the next hour, I dug wheat after wheat after wheat, but not a single silver (OK, maybe only 5-6 wheats) Wow, that was a first :dontknow: Then towards the end of the new clearing, I finally got a bouncy dime signal and up came a merc. Finally :icon_biggrin: Then just a few feet away another dimie'sh signal and I recovered a silver Roosevelt. I decided to freewheel it and hunt through the weeds. I wasn't finding much and ended up back to an area Mark and I had hit early on and had found several silver coins. I hit it again and dug a wheatie, but nothing else. In the center of it is a large patch of poison oak. I thought what the heck, and stuck my coil into the poison oak, after a few minutes of dancing with this treacherous plant, the machine belted out a quarter signal and I knew I had a silver quarter, but it was right in the middle of the poison oak patch. You know your [size=x-large]CRAZY[/size] [size=x-small]about[/size] metal detecting when you jump into a poison oak patch for a silver coin :tard: I've never been allergic to it, and figured what the hell, if I was, I'd had it by now as I've been stomping through the stuff since we found this place, and in I went. Sure enough, a nice silver quarter it was. Since I'm already in, I figured I might as well check the rest of it out :idea1: A few minutes later I got a silver dime, then minutes later a second silver quarter and then another silver dime. Take that poison oak :whip2: A few minutes later in the thick of the poison oak I got a text book perfect silver half/dollar signal and though for sure a Walker half or Peace dollar was coming to light. Nope, not today, instead came out an interesting doohickey. Not really sure what it is as I can't get it to open. The front has the old school mica cover, and it looks like a pocket watch, but I don't think it is. It could be a compass, but I can't see any compass markings though the broken face, so I wonder if it may have had a photo behind it, or :icon_scratch:

So, you may wonder why I went though the long explanation as to my "fiscal" months which start the second Tuesday of every month to coincide with our clubs show & tell. My last post I was excited that I had made a personal milestone of 20 (24 actually) silver coins since the last club meeting, now I'm at silver #32, with 19 days left until our next meeting and I'm hoping to find 40 silver coins by then :clock: with a stretch goal of 50 :bom:

Without further ado, here's yesterday and today's loot:

03-25-10-Silver.jpg

03-25-10-StChristopherMedal.jpg
03-25-10-ScoutSlider.jpg

Any ideas what this is :icon_scratch:

03-25-10-WhatzItFront.jpg
03-25-10-WhatzItBack.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Brian

Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's Raining SILVER

Nice silver :icon_thumright: good finds that what is it ? looks like it used to be a compass to bad the glass is cracked i have one somewhere i used in the BSA long ago Good hunt Dd60

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

Oh man Cal, when you're hot you're hot. I don't think you'll have any problems hitting 40 before your meeting.
Good Luck!
Mike

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE

yup thats a compass...i also have been doin a lost and forgotten boyscout camp for a couple of yrs and have actually dug 2 of those... and both of mine you can see the markings inside.....oh and yea silver hides in those camps by the ton...my buddies and i have personally in the last couple of yrs have gotten well over 350 silvers out of it and i myself have 12 walkers from there to go along with all the other silvers....keep pounding that place it will pay off big time.....tip..we have gotten most of our silvers from what used to be woods back when it was a camp...heck still is woods but look for the largest trees and that will be where the boys played mostly

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice hunt for sure. I see you live in Northern Cal. and that you mentioned that you were hunting an old lost camp and that it was getting dark. Well, I was just looking through the "Daily snapshot" section and saw where a member captured a nice picture of a mountain lion staring through his window. It made me think about where you were hunting. Be careful out there. I know you can just never be prepared enough for anything, as I'm sure you are aware. I lived in Southern Cal for 10 years and know that the mountain lions have become "urbanized" and are not afraid of humans. Enough said. Nice hunt you had. Ron

maddog

Jan 26, 2009
Detector(s) used
MXT 300

YOU'RE ON A MAJOR ROLL - WTG If I get 1 silver I'm on a roll :headbang:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good clean up on the finds!!!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...

Thanks everyone, it's been a fun ride.

9volt said:
yup thats a compass...i also have been doin a lost and forgotten boyscout camp for a couple of yrs and have actually dug 2 of those... and both of mine you can see the markings inside.....oh and yea silver hides in those camps by the ton...my buddies and i have personally in the last couple of yrs have gotten well over 350 silvers out of it and i myself have 12 walkers from there to go along with all the other silvers....keep pounding that place it will pay off big time.....tip..we have gotten most of our silvers from what used to be woods back when it was a camp...heck still is woods but look for the largest trees and that will be where the boys played mostly

Check this out, that compass turns out to be from the 1930's, here's the identical one still in it's original box. Boy Scout Compass - Taylor Instrument Company, 1930's:

http://mitchreis.com/images/Compass-Taylor-1930s.jpg

maddog said:
YOU'RE ON A MAJOR ROLL - WTG If I get 1 silver I'm on a roll :headbang:

Now maddog I know you find a LOT more then 1 silver :icon_thumright:

RSMITH57 said:
Nice hunt for sure. I see you live in Northern Cal. and that you mentioned that you were hunting an old lost camp and that it was getting dark. Well, I was just looking through the "Daily snapshot" section and saw where a member captured a nice picture of a mountain lion staring through his window. It made me think about where you were hunting. Be careful out there. I know you can just never be prepared enough for anything, as I'm sure you are aware. I lived in Southern Cal for 10 years and know that the mountain lions have become "urbanized" and are not afraid of humans. Enough said. Nice hunt you had. Ron

Thanks Ron. I'm sure there are mountain lions in this area, noting I can't fend off with my lesche eh? :laughing7: Seriously there's enough folks traveling around this particular area that I think we're OK, there's plenty of natural food for them (I hope :o).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread