SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a second location deep in the woods today. I followed a nice creek to a sharp bend. There was a hill overlooking the bend that had some really huge old oaks growing on it and looked like a nice place to enjoy a picnic. I detected the whole area and found nothing. I tried around one more big old Oak before giving up and I got a signal. I dug about 8 inches down and recovered this horse shoe. There are no trails around but it was up the hill from the creek. I wonder how old it could be? In a different area there was a small stream coming down the hill towards the creek. There was a flat area by the stream. In the middle of this area I found these curved items at about 6 inches. I am guessing they are some kind of nails but why would they be curved I wonder. These are the only things I found in the whole area. There are no traces of any kind of structure anywhere. I just thought I would detect in the middle of nothing. Not very glamorous finds but I enjoyed detecting today. :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• shoe.jpg
    shoe.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 213
  • shoe2.jpg
    shoe2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 217
  • nails.JPG
    nails.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
THose are kind of interesting. You need to go to the library or county office and check old plat books and see if there might of been any houses in the area.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:
KW

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knightwalker said:
THose are kind of interesting. You need to go to the library or county office and check old plat books and see if there might of been any houses in the area.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:
KW

I do know that in the 1800's up until the 1940's there were tobacco and cotton farms along the creeks in the general area. They say there were also various mills along some of these creeks. I have been trying to find any signs of the mills but have had no luck so far. Thats why I just pick random areas around the creeks and wooded areas that look like someone would have stopped there for some reason. These areas are pretty remote but sometimes I find a glass jar or old bucket in the strangest places and wonder how they got there. No roads or trails that I can make out. I do need to see some old maps I suppose. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread