My first Silver Dollar! 1881s Morgan... Silver and GOLD!

Jay Plunder

Aug 18, 2009
Southeastern, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 months after noticing an abandoned house from the highway near where I live, I decided to check it out on GoogleEarth. It was a rather large property, encompassing 5 or 6 dwellings. A dirt road was clearly visible all the way to some train tracks off in the distance. Well I couldn't help it and had to go check it out, in person. I went earlier this week and found a 1945 wheatie and a nickel used for target practice there. Awesome nickel because it actually caught the bullet(I posted this find earlier this week). I had to go back. So today I did...and I am very glad I did.
DSCF3030.jpg

DSCF3028.jpg

I searched around the house...pulling mostly nails and bits of slag. Then, in an area under a large tree I started finding coins. First a nail...then a coin. In one spot about 4 foot square under the tree, I found...
6 mercury dimes 1936, 2 1941's, 2 1942's, and a 1943.
1 Barber dime...1905
3 Buffalo nickels...1926, 1933 and one dateless.
4 Jefferson nickels, 1941, 2 1942's, and a 1946.
3 Wheat pennies....1917s, 1937 and a 1936.

I found the remnants of an old shotgun shell, and a handle to an old broken knife.
What I thought was another piece of slag turned out to be a piece of a gold locket. Gold and intricate with a green emerald in the center. Found this 30 feet from the house itself. SWEET! So I continued hunting and didn't find anything of interest, mostly slag, nails and bits of farm machinery. I decided to check the adjacent recently plowed field...It looked promising for some reason.
DSCF3031.jpg

there at the edge of the field, near the woodline, I was ECSTATIC when I saw this find. I dug what I thought would be another piece of slag or an old aluminum can...and then I saw the rim of a coin. I ran to the truck to grab the camera....this looks a lot larger than my typical nickel, dime or even quarter. :laughing9:
DSCF3033.jpg

I pulled it out and gently wiped the dirt away....1881 clearly showed! My first silver dollar! I decided to wait until I got home to clean it off more. I put it specially on my passenger seat of my truck and continued my hunt. As I continued my hunt, and concentrating on digging a signal I saw motion out of the corner of my eye. I looked up...and a Police officer was walking towards me!!!! It startled me fiercely and I was like holy crap!
"Ummm....how ya doing?", I said. I then proceeded to laugh and I told him he scared the hell out of me. He asked me if I found anything and I said a bunch of old rusty metal, that's about it. I stood there, shaking in my shoes and my heartbeat was fierce. "I can see the headlines now" I thought.

Well he didn't seem like he was going to slam me to the ground and arrest me so I asked him if he knew about this area. He said it is old and right down the road is an old slave house. He said the owner scoured the place already and is a big CW and Indian artifact buff. Then he asked me if I saw the NO TRESPASSING sign on the way in. I honestly did not see it. He took my DL information, gave me a warning and told me it was private property. He said as long as I didn't come back I was fine. So all was cool and I left, not gonna go back until I find out how to get permission, if that is even possible.

As I was leaving, happy I wasn't being arrested...sure enough...there was little "NO TRESPASSING" signs I didn't even see on the way in. I then left...satisfied for the day!
Honestly...my biggest day ever!

What a day!!!!
DSCF3055.jpg

Upvote 0

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Armymusician said:
rogues71 said:
great hunt gratz on your silver hoard, if i was you i would find the land owner and ask for permission to go back, as far as the missed sign oh well it happens and taking out the trash was very cool not only for our hobby but the earth as well gratz to you.

Definitely...going to try and locate the person next week. I will even tell him about the piece of locket maybe it was his mothers or something who knows. Gonna be hard to tell him about that Morgan it is my first EVER! I only have another couple of weeks or so before I head to Afghanistan :'(

Nice finds, and be safe in Afghanistan. Look forward to reading your post when you get back.

dutchoven

Mar 12, 2010
Fistfulladirt said:
Armymusician said:
Fistfulladirt said:
Nice job putting another nail in the coffin for future dectectorists. If you are only 13, I can understand.
Well thanks for ruining my Mojo there dude. :coffee2:
Maybe you missed the part where I said I didn't see the signs on the way in. I have ALWAYS asked for permission to hunt anywhere I go to. The signs were rusted and parked on a tree...the officer had to point it out to me to see it. He actually thanked me for hauling out a 30 gallon trash bad full of tons of beer cans and Mcdonalds trash that other people had left scattered around. I know what our responsibility is as detectorists and protectors of our hobby.

I am sure many of us Detectorist's have eyeballed a site...not seen any signs and decided to check it out. I have read the stories on to that fact.

I thought T-Net was a place I can share my experiences and see what others are finding out there...not a place to be lectured in public forum about a mistake I made.

For the record I am not 13. Reverse those numbers and add a few.
Signs or no signs, if it's private property get permission first. If you read this forum, you know that it's of utmost importance to gain permission and not tresspass. I apoligize for the age slam. ffd

Boy, isn't that the truth! You knew the property was not yours yet you felt it was fine to trespass. If anything, I would say that this board is being far too easy on you. This is EXACTLY why things are getting more difficult for MDers. Obviously, a nice fine and I hope you turn everything over to the REAL owner.

ndhill1976

Apr 21, 2009
Lenoir City, TN
Detector(s) used
F-75
You must always ask permission, signs or no signs. the reason you got so nervous when the policeman got there is because you knew you weren't supposed to be there.

OP
OP
Jay Plunder

Jay Plunder

Aug 18, 2009
Southeastern, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/quote]Signs or no signs, if it's private property get permission first. If you read this forum, you know that it's of utmost importance to gain permission and not tresspass. I apoligize for the age slam. ffd
[/quote]

Boy, isn't that the truth! You knew the property was not yours yet you felt it was fine to trespass. If anything, I would say that this board is being far too easy on you. This is EXACTLY why things are getting more difficult for MDers. Obviously, a nice fine and I hope you turn everything over to the REAL owner.
[/quote]
...I can see your nose lifted solidly up in the air.

If any of you think I was wrong then WHATEVER! I could care less. Want to be noble? Go saddle up your high horses and ride off into the sunset. Make sure you stick your pinkie fingers out while sipping your wine during break from your journey. Meanwhile, I will do what ever I WANT to do. My forefathers and I have fought for this land OF THE FREE. Abandoned land and property is just that...ABANDONED. Forgotten. Out of memory. If it meant that much they would clearly mark it as such. Not leave it to shambles for the elements to digest and mark it with an obviously years old sign you can't even see.

Leave a jar full of dollars bills on your "property"s lawn. Then protect it by clearly marking your property as PRIVATE and NO TRESPASSING. Should be good to go...right? Now mark it with a rusty sign posted up on a tree, insignificantly. If you don't clearly mark it then anyone will claw tooth and nail to get to that jar. The point is this property was not marked properly...even to an Eagle eye such as myself. Miles from a city, in the middle of the country and clearly dilapidated this doesn't appear like a place ANYONE would give a snot about. If they did it wouldn't be slowly digested by the elements, now would it. No one called the police...they saw my truck from the highway BTW. Honestly...places like that spook me out and the sun was starting to go down so it could have been police or a gaggle of turkey...it still would have startled me. Old places like that creep me out when it is starting to get dark.
If we stuck to property that wasn't ours, that would end up a little bit boring don't you think? I am not fortunate enough to possess undeveloped land yet. So I pursue places to hunt like most everyone else does. You wanna battle on the principle of hunting areas then I am game. Other than that I will smile about my silver dollar find and pursue the owner of the gold locket like I said I would, and then smile harder. Don't need ANYONE else to say otherwise.
Mods delete me if you want but this is BS. >:(

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get all pissy,

First off someone ALWAYS owns the property, either its yours the banks or someone Else's its always owned and never abandoned. If it is abandoned by the owner then they probably wont care if you detect its just important you ask. Many of us hunters have been denied fought against and bad mouthed because individuals not asking permission. We understand where your coming from but at the same time you need to understand where were coming from. We spend countless hours researching areas and sucking up to land owners to get a little hunt time in only to be let down because someone has already hunted the area without permission or the land owner has had a bad experience. I'm sure the cop let the land owner know about you and he has posted new signs already, even if hasn't hes watching the area like a hawk. I'm sure hell be a little upset when you return the items to him as well. Congrats on your finds, but I'm sure you'll find little support on this site for not seeing the signs, that is a default answer for cops. Be safe in Afghan brother, I did a tour in IRAQ not to long ago!

Just giving it to you straight,

CRACKBADGER

dutchoven

Mar 12, 2010
Signs or no signs, if it's private property get permission first. If you read this forum, you know that it's of utmost importance to gain permission and not tresspass. I apoligize for the age slam. ffd
[/quote]

[/quote]
...I can see your nose lifted solidly up in the air.

If any of you think I was wrong then WHATEVER! I could care less. Want to be noble? Go saddle up your high horses and ride off into the sunset. Make sure you stick your pinkie fingers out while sipping your wine during break from your journey. Meanwhile, I will do what ever I WANT to do. My forefathers and I have fought for this land OF THE FREE. Abandoned land and property is just that...ABANDONED. Forgotten. Out of memory. If it meant that much they would clearly mark it as such. Not leave it to shambles for the elements to digest and mark it with an obviously years old sign you can't even see.

Leave a jar full of dollars bills on your "property"s lawn. Then protect it by clearly marking your property as PRIVATE and NO TRESPASSING. Should be good to go...right? Now mark it with a rusty sign posted up on a tree, insignificantly. If you don't clearly mark it then anyone will claw tooth and nail to get to that jar. The point is this property was not marked properly...even to an Eagle eye such as myself. Miles from a city, in the middle of the country and clearly dilapidated this doesn't appear like a place ANYONE would give a snot about. If they did it wouldn't be slowly digested by the elements, now would it. No one called the police...they saw my truck from the highway BTW. Honestly...places like that spook me out and the sun was starting to go down so it could have been police or a gaggle of turkey...it still would have startled me. Old places like that creep me out when it is starting to get dark.
If we stuck to property that wasn't ours, that would end up a little bit boring don't you think? I am not fortunate enough to possess undeveloped land yet. So I pursue places to hunt like most everyone else does. You wanna battle on the principle of hunting areas then I am game. Other than that I will smile about my silver dollar find and pursue the owner of the gold locket like I said I would, and then smile harder. Don't need ANYONE else to say otherwise.
Mods delete me if you want but this is BS. >:(

[/quote]

You went onto property that you knew was not yours. Your found items on that property that you knew were not yours. You have now admitted to your intentions on keeping the items you found while on property that you don't own. Return the bracelet but keep the Morgan. In my books and in the courts that is called theft.

This has nothing to do with sitting on a high horse. This has everything to do with doing the right thing. I don't see where we are wrong for expecting people to do the right thing.

Air Force creed:
Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence in All We Do

Army Creed:
The Army core values are loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity and personal courage.

Marines:
Our standards are high, our ranks are few

Marines are men and women who, once trained, will meet the highest standards of moral and
physical strength.

This isn't a property issue. This is an integrity issue. I hope you take some of the advice here and realize that all it would have taken was to ask the owners permission to be on their land. It was marked, although not clearly, but they still have an expectation of privacy. It's only reasonable to believe that people would not simply come onto one's property without permission. What you did was wrong. Period.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Wow, I was a bit surprised that anyone would think land which might not appear to be used is OK to use for themselves. I have a couple camps which I only get to maybe once or twice a year, but they are my camps. If someone wanted to use them I would hope they had the common courtesy to ask permission. I more than appreciate your military commitment to our country. And we all have probably made a few mistakes when it comes to detecting areas or misreading/missing posted signs, but really, please don't use the fight for freedoms which have been made in the past as a foundation for an argument to tresspass. Certainly in this case it was in error, but it is not philisophy like if 'a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it' kind of free pass. I hope you understand it may make it difficult for others. Thanks for showing the finds, and I hope you can get back out there and recover some more.

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess his logic is that basically he could hunt on my front lawn lawfully if I had no signs marking it as "Private Property" or "No Trespassing"?
Better go put your "lawn Gnomes" away!!!

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He addmited to his mistake and im sure 90% of
us have missed a rusted no trespassing sign a
time or two. ( i know i have )
Congrats on that Morgan, I found one late last
year, a 1879 "o" mint !
What are the dates of those nickels, I can see
at least one that is a war nickel !
Be safe over in Afghanistan !!!

OP
OP
Jay Plunder

Jay Plunder

Aug 18, 2009
Southeastern, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't know what else to say. I stated my mistake and accepted the consequences. I stand corrected.
I have been morally flogged in this public forum. Let me be an example NOT to be for others out there. I made a mistake...took a risk and got caught. Thank you to everyone that has pointed out that fact here.

Even more thanks for ones that PM'ed the conversation and not out in this format. Thanks to those that understood where I was coming from and that mistakes happen. My rep is ruined here and honestly this doesn't feel like the most welcome place anymore to socialize the hobby with.

Thanks to the friends I have made on here. You know how to get in contact with me. Happy Hunting to you all.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's all the pics go?

ndhill1976

Apr 21, 2009
Lenoir City, TN
Detector(s) used
F-75
I don't think anyone wanted you to leave this site. We (well I can only speak for myself) only wanted you to see the error in your ways. You first defended yourself by insisting that you had a rite to that property since it was not marked, then that sparked the somewhat harshness. If you can admit that you were wrong, and I think you kinda have, then I am sure you will see that you are very welcome on this site. We just want to see some good finds and share stories, but just make sure they are ethically found.

dutchoven

Mar 12, 2010
Armymusician said:
Well I don't know what else to say. I stated my mistake and accepted the consequences. I stand corrected.
I have been morally flogged in this public forum. Let me be an example NOT to be for others out there. I made a mistake...took a risk and got caught. Thank you to everyone that has pointed out that fact here.

No you didn't. You didn't man up and admit your guilt. You tried to chastise those of us who tried to uphold you to a higher standard. Remember this comment

Armymusician said:
If any of you think I was wrong then WHATEVER! I could care less. Want to be noble? Go saddle up your high horses and ride off into the sunset. Make sure you stick your pinkie fingers out while sipping your wine during break from your journey. Meanwhile, I will do what ever I WANT to do. My forefathers and I have fought for this land OF THE FREE. Abandoned land and property is just that...ABANDONED.

Nobody here wants you to take your ball home and leave. What we want is for all MDer's to uphold certain fundamental principles and respect other people's property. It's a very simple concept and should be without question.

Bob

H

hemi1500

hey deepdigger60 i have seen that location passing by driving, "i think"

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dutchoven said:
Armymusician said:

No you didn't. You didn't man up and admit your guilt. You tried to chastise those of us who tried to uphold you to a higher standard. Remember this comment

Armymusician said:
If any of you think I was wrong then WHATEVER! I could care less. Want to be noble? Go saddle up your high horses and ride off into the sunset. Make sure you stick your pinkie fingers out while sipping your wine during break from your journey. Meanwhile, I will do what ever I WANT to do. My forefathers and I have fought for this land OF THE FREE. Abandoned land and property is just that...ABANDONED.

Nobody here wants you to take your ball home and leave. What we want is for all MDer's to uphold certain fundamental principles and respect other people's property. It's a very simple concept and should be without question.

Bob

Right on, Bob.

There is no such thing as abandoned property. Someone is at least paying taxes on it; they may not be living there but that does not matter. If they cease paying taxes on it, it reverts to the county to sell at sheriff's auction to someone else. Just that simple.

Even if it were abandoned, it is not yours. Your forefathers fought all right, for the right to be secure in their property, a right you seem to be denying for others. Put yourself in the other's place; if your family had property 8 states away, would you want someone tromping all over it, and removing items, and then even feeling sanctimonious about it?

I hope you change your attitude before you run into someone that will take it more personally.

Just friendly advice.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
This was an honest mistake made by all accounts an honest man. Unless he goes back there. I say give him a break ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions