(3) more shell casing+clad, Where do they all come from?

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hey all,,,
Not much for today, but I did get out for about an hour. It was about 32 degrees, the coldest hunt I've been on this winter... Found (3) more shell casings, they seem to be blanks, but where do they all come from? They come out of a park just below the surface and I just can't see someone walking through the park shooting a rifle... Also found another $0.36 cents to add to my outstanding clad haul for the year... :)
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Attachments

• ShellsClad.jpg
    ShellsClad.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder what was there before the park?

Congrats on your keepers for the day Leon!

Stay warm!

;)

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may be way off, but the casings are crimped at the end and, like you said, are blanks, so maybe it was a military salute of some kind...you know, like the 21-gun salute. Maybe they did them in the park at some point.

HH!
TBGO

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
I may be way off, but the casings are crimped at the end and, like you said, are blanks, so maybe it was a military salute of some kind...you know, like the 21-gun salute.? Maybe they did them in the park at some point.

HH!
TBGO
No Beep..Definetley crimped(blank's)...Was this place some sort of training grounds leon..Any way at least you got out..keep diggin' and HH!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those old parks just seem to have plenty of shot gun shells, rifle shell , you name it ...What happened was they excavated , turned the soil and graded it which actually brought the shell and bullets back up to the surface.and after leveling and seeding it to the way it is today...so when your finding these bullets shells they seem to have been dropped a couple of years ago..... only a few inches down .. Seeker

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Appropriate pic, SomeGuy!

civilman1 -> I think you misunderstood me...I said they were blanks...or maybe I'm misunderstanding you :)

HH!
TBGO

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
Appropriate pic, SomeGuy!

civilman1 -> I think you misunderstood me...I said they were blanks...or maybe I'm misunderstanding you? :)

HH!
TBGO
We're cool Beep...that's exactly what I thought also...blank's...HH!!...That pic has "8" guy's,how does that go into "21"

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe each guy shoots 21 times, so it doesn't matter how many shooters there are.? I found this...

Gun Salutes

From The ?Celebrating America?s Freeedoms? Series

Today, the firing of guns is seen as a great honor bestowed upon both military and political officials. Firing guns at the approach of a party, demonstrates not only welcome but respect and trust. In former times, however, firing all guns could leave a ship, fort or battery virtually defenseless, for the reloading took a great deal of time. For this reason, gun salutes were seen as a great honor.

The practice of firing gun salutes was well established by the sixteenth century, although gun salutes had existed for centuries. Later, the number of guns to fire were designated for various ceremonies, honors, and officials -- in relation to their importance and position.

The firing of three rifle volleys (rounds) over the graves of fallen armed forces members and political leaders can be traced to the European dynastic wars, when fighting was halted to remove the dead and wounded. Once the area was cleared of casualties, three volleys were sent up into the air as a signal to resume fighting.

By about 1730, the British navy was prescribing 21 guns for certain anniversary dates as a personal salute to members of the Royal family. This was not mandatory, however. The 21-gun salute was adopted as the standard salute for royalty in 1808.

The United States fired a "National Salute," on special occassions and during times of mourning, of one gun for each state in the union until 1841, when the salute was standardized to 21 guns. It was customary at that time, when naval vessels were visiting foreign ports, to salute the flag of that nation with the number of guns present in the foreign country's national salute. Therefore, it would have been difficult, if not impossible, for vessels visiting the United States to fire a salute that, in 1841, doubled the number of guns prescribed by most other nations (42 as compared to 21). Also, it would have been internationally discourteous to offer a salute to a foreign port with fewer guns then prescribed by our own national salute.

The British proposed that the two nations exchange salutes gun for gun when visiting American ports in the nineteenth century. In 1875, the British minister at Washington, D.C., and the secretary of state decided to work towards an agreement on salutes. On August 18, 1875, the United States formally adopted the 21-gun salute, the number prescribed by Britain, France and other nations.

No one can explain why the number 21 was chosen for national salutes. In ancient cultures, numerology, the study of numbers, led to symbolism behind most numbers. These cultures believed the number seven to be sacred and, therefore, it is hypothesized, multiples of seven would be looked upon favorably (hence 21). Other gun salutes vary from five guns (the lowest) to 21 guns (the highest) by increments of two, and are prescribed in accordance with occasion and level of importance of those honored.

It is generally believed that gun salutes are set off in odd numbers because of an old naval superstition that even numbers are unlucky.

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks all,,,
I hadn't even thought about them being leftovers from a 21 gun salute. Although, I have never seen one in a park before, I'm sure there have probabaly been a few. The ground in this paticular area was bulldozed at one time too, so I guess that could explain them being on the suface...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
We're cool Beep...that's exactly what I thought also...blank's...HH!!...That pic has "8" guy's,how does that go into "21"

This was Memorial Day, 2004, so I don't remember the details. At the time, I, too, questioned the mathematics, but noted that they did fire a total of exactly 21 rounds. I think (but don't remember) that they fired 2 volleys of 8, and only 5 men fired the third volley.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was kinda confused,at my brother's funeral there were seven Airmen and three round's apiece...............

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
When I saw the pic, i thought 21 gun salute. I see you folks are all over it already. I agree. They look like .223 casings, which would fit the bill. You can find lots of them in cemeteries I'm sure. I've been to funerals where the 21 gun salute was performed and the shell casings were left where they fell.

S

southbound

Nice answer to this puzzeling question. It just goes to show, anything is possible in america. Vern

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions