Finally getting the older items

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Went back to a spot I found a few days ago. It seemed promising but was hard to tell what would turn up. Walking down to it I can across the button with the shank still attached. After cleaning it some I can see laurels and the word Extra. There is another word -- '--OUR', but I can't make it out. Also found a 1971 penny. Slow start but a good one.

Found some square nails (expected). Then a few brass hasps to a pack or something. A couple electrical parts from days past. The one item might be for a car/truck (Basco imprinted ont it). What looks to be the part of a lamp for the wick. An old sinker.

Time was running out so I concentrated on signals that were iffy; I ignored the iron altogether. After a while I came across a coin. Didn't want to damage it so put it straight into the pack. Found a bullet, oldish because it was white, rather than the silver lead. Came across a four hole button in a pile which may have been a dump area. I also found a Ford hubcap, which I left because I was digging a target and forgot it. I think I know where it is and will recover it tomorrow.

The coin was the highlight. I was getting antsy because I expected to find large cents or even some Indian heads out there. Nope...nothing. But this coin, which I think is a 1 reale Carolus III, eclipses my oldest find by 71 years (although I found a large cent a number of years ago but it was so fried I couldn't make a date). Now I know I'm in the right spot and will be digging in earnest. Have to thank that person lo those many years ago who left that coin for me.

If anyone can ID the buttons for me I would be grateful.

Attachments

• Found 3292010.jpg
    Found 3292010.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 674
  • Buttons3292010.jpg
    Buttons3292010.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 674
  • Reale1773Front.jpg
    Reale1773Front.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 662
  • Reale1773Back.jpg
    Reale1773Back.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 674
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful reale! Those dont come along everyday. :thumbsup:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice buttons. Great reale! I'm still looking for one.

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Very interesting finds Dman. Very sweet silver coin.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:
KW

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
DMN said:
Went back to a spot I found a few days ago. It seemed promising but was hard to tell what would turn up. Walking down to it I can across the button with the shank still attached. After cleaning it some I can see laurels and the word Extra. There is another word -- '--OUR', but I can't make it out. Also found a 1971 penny. Slow start but a good one.

The "OUR" is part of COLOUR, and refers to the gilting on the button. E.g. "Trebel gilt - Standard Colour" is a popular backmark. All of these flat buttons with the gilting backstamps seem to be late 1700s to 1840s from what my recent research suggests. Who knows! I found one two days ago, similar to yours but without the laurel wreath that says "Best double gilt" on it.

Greg

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice silver!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't know what to do if I found a 1700's coin! Awesome :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old items, that you are. Spanish silver I think is good enough to make anyone's day on here! :thumbsup:

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:

Found some square nails (expected). Then a few brass hasps to a pack or something. A couple electrical parts from days past. The one item might be for a car/truck (Basco imprinted ont it). What looks to be the part of a lamp for the wick. An old sinker.

Time was running out so I concentrated on signals that were iffy; I ignored the iron altogether. After a while I came across a coin. Didn't want to damage it so put it straight into the pack. Found a bullet, oldish because it was white, rather than the silver lead. Came across a four hole button in a pile which may have been a dump area. I also found a Ford hubcap, which I left because I was digging a target and forgot it. I think I know where it is and will recover it tomorrow.

The coin was the highlight. I was getting antsy because I expected to find large cents or even some Indian heads out there. Nope...nothing. But this coin, which I think is a 1 reale Carolus III, eclipses my oldest find by 71 years (although I found a large cent a number of years ago but it was so fried I couldn't make a date). Now I know I'm in the right spot and will be digging in earnest. Have to thank that person lo those many years ago who left that coin for me.

DMN, is the coin approximately dime size, if so i think 1/2 reale good find BK.

OP
OP
DMN

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Broken knee said:
DMN said:

It is dime sized. I thought it might be a 1/2 reale after looking through the web foir more info. Sadly it is worn and bent enough to mask the denomination. No matter, the way I found it was enough for me! Thank you for the ID assist.

OP
OP
DMN

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Iron Patch said:
Old items, that you are. Spanish silver I think is good enough to make anyone's day on here! :thumbsup:
Thank you, IP. You're pretty good with the buttons, how old do you think the 4 holer is? It's white metal, but I'm not certain the kind.

OP
OP
DMN

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Mainer, Jeff H, Knightwalker, Mr Tuff and Olekyground...thanks for the nods.

Hammong, thanks for the info on the one button. I can see now the word COLOUR. I am not going to clean the button any more since it looks like it is getting worse rather than better. Could you guess an age on it?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
Iron Patch said:
Thank you, IP. You're pretty good with the buttons, how old do you think the 4 holer is? It's white metal, but I'm not certain the kind.

I'm guilty of never paying much attention to them. To me it does seem to have some age, maybe late 1800s, but that's just a guess.

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
Broken knee said:
DMN said:

It is dime sized. I thought it might be a 1/2 reale after looking through the web foir more info. Sadly it is worn and bent enough to mask the denomination. No matter, the way I found it was enough for me! Thank you for the ID assist.
DMN, the denomination is not on the coin just a smaller version of the 8 reale reverse and Carolus IIII here is mine BK

Attachments

• finds 192.JPG
    finds 192.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 420
  • finds 193.JPG
    finds 193.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 418
OP
OP
DMN

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Iron Patch said:
DMN said:
Iron Patch said:

I'm guilty of never paying much attention to them. To me it does seem to have some age, maybe late 1800s, but that's just a guess.

Good deal and thanks for the input. BTW, I found the reale in the same area as the button I showed in a previous post. I will be making treks to that place for a while.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
Iron Patch said:
DMN said:
Iron Patch said:

Good deal and thanks for the input. BTW, I found the reale in the same area as the button I showed in a previous post. I will be making treks to that place for a while.

Yeah I sure would, because of the Spanish, not the button. :wink:

My reale count is pretty impressive but only because of how many years it has been. My average isn't even 2 a year, so just getting one is good in my books.

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
DMN said:
Iron Patch said:
DMN said:
Iron Patch said:

My reale count is pretty impressive but only because of how many years it has been. My average isn't even 2 a year, so just getting one is good in my books.
IP, in 20 + years I only found this one :icon_scratch:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Broken knee said:
Iron Patch said:
DMN said:
Iron Patch said:
DMN said:
Iron Patch said:

IP, in 20 + years I only found this one :icon_scratch:

So how many is that per year? ;D

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
Congrat's on the reale DMN it sure is a lot nicer than the one i found.
But Spanish silver is Spanish silver no no matter how you look at it!

Grats :headbang:

G1

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
BIG congrats on the reale! That coin deserves a nice MACRO shot! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread