Honest to gosh we got 4 more seated dimes and the Cache Story goes on....

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
The last time I talked to you guys we had gone to the spot on the Delaware River and dug some and left figuring it was over....well thanks to a few days and several folks saying go back we Markg and I went back last night.....it was ok cold and I had a good feeling this time........we started up top and dug down about 8 inches and got two more seateds... two coins in the pic are cc's.....(and yes the very first one we got weeks ago was a 76)...... we moved down about 3-4 feet where the very first one was dug and after 20... 30 minutes of moving dirt we pulled two more.......seeing the condition of these things Mark said no one's going to believe this...and I said I do cause I saw the condition of the first couple dimes and the half-dimes...and I also said something not pg rated about whether I cared if people believed us (if somebody wants to waste their time putting pics of coins up I might as well believe it)....this brings our total to 16 coins pulled from this spot...the marker is there with the t or cross on the top....we have thought of all kinds of scenarios.....and we are trying to get more info on the area.....these coins are the best conditioned coins out of here....
We now believe there is more to be found and we have a digging plan...............what is interesting as it relates to detecting is how these coins hit on the machines...now part of it may be the roots......but I believe it is the size of these dimes....they are small.......it changes my whole approach to detecting......here's what I mean........after swinging the coil ( I'm using an XLT with stock coil set on a coin program) you get a sometime repeatable sound though not loud and not consistent....even after moving the coin that process continues ....these coins are not caked.....once you get them fully uncovered you do get a loud sound....what we have been doing now is to look for the edge of the coin............there is absolutely nothing more fun than to dig it out and know it is in the pile and then go looking for the edge......
What is also interesting is we have found not one Indian or a quarter...this is playing into the whole guessing game.... possible cross, was it just a gathering place,etc............It's not the same as the first one found but this is a blast.......going this long to get a seated dime then to get so many.........the dates on these coins are all so congested and then you throw in the Canadian one....well its interesting and we are really hoping there is a seated Quarter in there...well its going to snow so we won't get back for a while....aloha Johny Mc. ..........................if we get more I'm just going to keep on posting them till there's no more...

oh I got this 53 Roosie on my everyday before work hunt this morning....I tried to save the whole frozen dirt pile but it crumbled...

Attachments

• SL550366.JPG
    SL550366.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 575
  • SL550375.JPG
    SL550375.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Going Johny Mc....It sounds like you have a nice area along the Delaware river which may have been used as a small grove or and area where people came at one time to enjoy the water setting and just chilled ....Sat down and happen to lose some coins........Bad for them !!! Good for you guys !!! keep on posting....You have a nice site...........Seeker

OP
OP
J

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Thanks to all the nice replies.......someone said you got to go back and "pound that place" and that probably stuck in our heads...
JD from Missouri told of a similiar spot he hit where eventually they got some Indians.......we are wondering about that.....where are they though.................also I did some research on the post and I believe I've got it....an old 1870 Public Land Surveyors post....i saw a pic on a site that looked exactly like our post......did not see the exact X or Cross on top though there was a four box divider symbol that was similar.....................and for those folks from Delaware we are way up river near Easton and P-burg.......William Penn stood at the forks of the Delaware and Lehigh rivers........and some general sent Sullivan on a wild goose chase from Easton to New York................if you took alll the trash from this area you could easily build another Sear's Building...........................................
and for those folks from near Mt. Pleasant I played soccer at the U.of D with a good player from there named Johny Berry who went to Mt Pleasant....small world....................and lastly someone asked about the edge of the coin thing..........it was easier to scan through the dirt and look for the silver edge than to sweep the coil and chase the target.........it was a lot more fun too.......lol...lol

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to me that all those coins must hae been cached inside of something at one time.? Perhaps a flour sack or burlap bag that has long since rotted away.? They are a bit scattered but close enough together they weren't just thrown into a hole.? Good work! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread