Awesome 1834 campaign flat button, three rings, silver coins!

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
My detecting buddy made me do some research and I came up with a site or two close-ish to work. The first one was an old school site, now a park. Once we found the sweet spots, I was digging nothing but old coins. Lots of wheats, a 1944 quarter and a 1951-D dime, and two silver rings. She got wheats and silver here too. Next we went in search of another old school, which sadly looks like it is a residence now. Definitely a place to get permission at, as there was a very old school there before the "new" school was built and has a nice little ballfield. Drool.

She then saw a new looking ballfield near that school and we decided to stop. Not many targets, but walking across the field I picked up two flat buttons, in one row, nothing else here. But more on those buttons later. We packed up and headed to a ballfield we had hit before to see what we had left behind. I managed a few nickels (one a 1940) and two wheats and silver ring #3, a cute little (and I mean little) number with red and white rhinestones.

So, I get home and wash off those flat buttons both have shanks intact. One is a typical "Treble Gilt" deal, but the other one... as I'm drying it off, I see... PLURIBUS! Dang! This might be a good 'un! It reads E PLURIBUS UNUM on the outer circle and in the inner circle on the back H. Meriton. So, a little internet research, it is an 1834 Congressional Campaign button. Listed in Albert's as 106A on page 423. A few for sale on the internet for $75. Might have to spend some more time at that "new" ballfield, or try to get permission at the old, old house right next door.

Attachments

• 033010a.jpg
    033010a.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 486
  • 033010b.jpg
    033010b.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 462
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread