🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We Don't Need No Stinking Coppers

Hello All,

Been hunting so much I've hardly had the time to clean the finds yet. As the bags of flat buttons and bits to investigate swamp my desk, I decided I'd better throw a post up here. A stellar find dug today also prompted me to get off my duff and post. So lets start with a video. Coppers. Coppers! Coppers!!!

Now... Where do I start? How about a few scenery shots from the past two hunts:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

And perhaps a photo of one of the luckiest SOB's alive:

4.jpg

Now, a few digs with Hill Billy. What you see below is only the non-ferrous. The iron vastly outnumbered the good targets:

5.jpg

I got a nice floral civilian button with gilding remaining:

6.jpg

I also dug a great ramrod channel and trigger guard (cleaned photo below):

7.jpg

Hilly Billy got a nice General Staff Button and a semi-key 1870 Indian Head Cent in excellent shape:

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

And he got a big piece of brass... :icon_scratch: Hame? Saddle pommel?

11.jpg

MORE FINDS PHOTOS BELOW:

Upvote 0

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: We Don't Need No Stinking Coppers

shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
Yeah, looks like game on. :laughing9:

I like both coins and buttons equal, but have had far more days with my keeper find being a button. I'd be just as happy with a nice MASS silver as I would a plate! :tongue3:

Think I'm digging tomorrow. :thumbsup: At least that's the plan right now.

Sounds like you need some digs, IP. Get out and dig up something good.

Suppose to happen tomorrow! :thumbsup:

If you film it, I'd watch it. (But I might not pay to see it in a theater unless it was Really good. ;D )

My bud does have at least one high-end digital so we could. ;D He's actually big into photography so wouldn't have to twist his arm to take it along and make me a star. 8) The question is... would I want to! :icon_scratch:

If you do....take a pair of socks with you :wink: :laughing7:

Nope! Would just slow me down.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

Nice finds Iron Brigade. :thumbsup:

I think I missed the cleaned pics of the bucket handle. :icon_scratch: Or, maybe you're saving that for "My Best Finds". :D

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome Digs! You are putting us to shame with all those great finds.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pitdiggers said:
Awesome Digs! You are putting us to shame with all those great finds.

I think my shame is down to being under 24 hours now! At least I hope! :thumbsup:

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

I usually detect for fun and relaxation, but I'm actually sore from all the diggin' and walkin'. It's been cool diggin' with the gang this week. It was really special to be digging today within sight of the house my ancestors built in the 1830's. 8) The people that lost those flat buttons knew my great, great, great, great grandfather. As for the antique White's detector in the photo....I brought it out of retirement just for the photo opp. I was swinging the DFX when I got the coolest find ever. :thumbsup: I've always dreamed about digging a Confederate button, but thought I'd have to travel south to do it. I guess I'm going to have to take along the old detector and the clay pipe to all of my hunts now for good luck. Buckleboy, I certainly wouldn't last long in a tot lot dressed like that while smoking that pipe (and drinking a beer). I'm sure someone would alert the authorities. :laughing9: I'll try to get a post up tonight or tomorrow with my finds.

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db

U

umrgolf

The Iron Brigade is on fire :occasion14: Keep the silver and sweet buttons coming to T-net

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
Fantastic finds.

I found the exact thing a while back. Is this the one you refer to as the ram rod channel? What time frame would you place it in?

That is a cast brass example, so I am thinking flintlock weapon related. Perhaps even one with an octagonal barrel, or half-octagonal. That would match the design of the ramrod channel itself. Probably early 1800s.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My kind of digs B.B!That guard is stellar,and wow,the buttons....but that religious medallion is CRAZY,in that my buddy just found the same one!!

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X

Amazing site! Great finds.
That place could keep you busy for a while, huh? ;D

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

friking nice button!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Again Will, a great post with great photos buddy :icon_thumleft: :wink: :wink: :wink: That's a whole lot of nice relics

coming up out of that pretty Kentucky soil! Like that General Staff and that Eagle "C" but must say that Cast I takes

the cake and is beautiful! :headbang: :wink: :icon_thumleft: :wink: :wink: :wink: Tell Coinmaster I said congrats.

You said on the phone the other day that "us Kentucky boys can keep up with you Virginia boys" ;D :wink: Well,

I DEFINITELY AGREE and know I will see some more of those FINE finds this spring and summer! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

I need a stinkin copper, but I guess the three of you didn't need my help. Tell the rest of the brigade hello. Ya'll have fun now ,ya here.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hill Billy said:
I need a stinkin copper, but I guess the three of you didn't need my help. Tell the rest of the brigade hello. Ya'll have fun now ,ya here.

Got a little bit of heat stroke yesterday, and still feeling bad this morning. Had camelbacks full of water but left them in the car on the first scouting mission (which ended up being 3 1/2 hours long). You free Sunday afternoon or Monday? We've got digs to dig.

-Buck

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

BuckleBoy said:
Fantastic finds.

I found the exact thing a while back. Is this the one you refer to as the ram rod channel? What time frame would you place it in?

That is a cast brass example, so I am thinking flintlock weapon related. Perhaps even one with an octagonal barrel, or half-octagonal. That would match the design of the ramrod channel itself. Probably early 1800s.

Do you think it may be earlier? I have reason to believe that mine could have been from Lt. Conwalis' guards, which would mean it was dropped in 1777.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Fantastic finds.

Do you think it may be earlier? I have reason to believe that mine could have been from Lt. Conwalis' guards, which would mean it was dropped in 1777.

I'd say it is certainly possible that it could be earlier. People brought many items with them when they settled this area--guns of course, buttons, and other belongings. Is yours exactly the same? Can you post a photo? I am going to start a "what is it?" post seeking more information on this piece. With its distinctive shape, it may be possible to ID.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

Awesome hunts !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I too would take the block I button over anything else there.... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I had to go all the way to Tennesee last year to get one... Awesome to live so close to REAL history.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

BuckleBoy said:
BuckleBoy said:
Fantastic finds.

I'd say it is certainly possible that it could be earlier. People brought many items with them when they settled this area--guns of course, buttons, and other belongings. Is yours exactly the same? Can you post a photo? I am going to start a "what is it?" post seeking more information on this piece. With its distinctive shape, it may be possible to ID.

I guess you can title your post "Show Us Your Ramrod" :wink:

Anyway.....
Here are some images. There is (of course) a story behind this. Back when I first got the V3 in Nov. I went to a place where I am sure there was a British camps in 1777. I was still learning the detector and I found nothing until it began getting dark and I had to leave. That is when I dug this, my only find for the day. I forgot about it for nearly 6 months until I saw your post, and I prayed that I hadn't tossed it in the trash.

Although there were many generals nearby, I found this one closest to what I believe where Lt. Cornwalis' quarters were, near a line of guards.

Attachments

• P4020006.JPG
    P4020006.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 535
  • P4020004.JPG
    P4020004.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 537
  • P4020005.JPG
    P4020005.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 542

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread