🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We Don't Need No Stinking Coppers

Hello All,

Been hunting so much I've hardly had the time to clean the finds yet. As the bags of flat buttons and bits to investigate swamp my desk, I decided I'd better throw a post up here. A stellar find dug today also prompted me to get off my duff and post. So lets start with a video. Coppers. Coppers! Coppers!!!

Now... Where do I start? How about a few scenery shots from the past two hunts:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

And perhaps a photo of one of the luckiest SOB's alive:

4.jpg

Now, a few digs with Hill Billy. What you see below is only the non-ferrous. The iron vastly outnumbered the good targets:

5.jpg

I got a nice floral civilian button with gilding remaining:

6.jpg

I also dug a great ramrod channel and trigger guard (cleaned photo below):

7.jpg

Hilly Billy got a nice General Staff Button and a semi-key 1870 Indian Head Cent in excellent shape:

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

And he got a big piece of brass... :icon_scratch: Hame? Saddle pommel?

11.jpg

MORE FINDS PHOTOS BELOW:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: We Don't Need No Stinking Coppers

Neil in West Jersey said:
I guess you can title your post "Show Us Your Ramrod" :wink:

Anyway.....
Here are some images. There is (of course) a story behind this. Back when I first got the V3 in Nov. I went to a place where I am sure there was a British camps in 1777. I was still learning the detector and I found nothing until it began getting dark and I had to leave. That is when I dug this, my only find for the day. I forgot about it for nearly 6 months until I saw your post, and I prayed that I hadn't tossed it in the trash.

Although there were many generals nearby, I found this one closest to what I believe where Lt. Cornwalis' quarters were, near a line of guards.

That's a great find, Neil. They are both very similar in style. I will post the piece in the "What is it?" section tonight. Just out of curiosity, does yours have "hash marks" or filing marks on the top side of it? I have dug two cast brass ramrod channels and both have had some sort of scoring or tally on the side that attaches to the barrel...

Best Wishes,

Buckles

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello2: Hot doggy, you've found some neat stuff there...like the old pipe and the old Whites-ha! keep on finding some neat stuff, man! :thumbsup:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

love ya guys but wheres the militia button ???

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

BuckleBoy said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
I guess you can title your post "Show Us Your Ramrod" :wink:

Anyway.....
Here are some images. There is (of course) a story behind this. Back when I first got the V3 in Nov. I went to a place where I am sure there was a British camps in 1777. I was still learning the detector and I found nothing until it began getting dark and I had to leave. That is when I dug this, my only find for the day. I forgot about it for nearly 6 months until I saw your post, and I prayed that I hadn't tossed it in the trash.

Although there were many generals nearby, I found this one closest to what I believe where Lt. Cornwalis' quarters were, near a line of guards.

That's a great find, Neil. They are both very similar in style. I will post the piece in the "What is it?" section tonight. Just out of curiosity, does yours have "hash marks" or filing marks on the top side of it? I have dug two cast brass ramrod channels and both have had some sort of scoring or tally on the side that attaches to the barrel...

Best Wishes,

Buckles

There is a small hash mark near the center on the top portion, but it appears to be more of a random mark than an intentional mark. I also noticed that what I thought was corrosion on the tab may have actually been caused by either fire or an explosion. I noticed that the guide channel has signs of it as well, between the left and right tabs.

Attachments

• P4020001_01.JPG
    P4020001_01.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 458

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

I bet not one drop of beer was spilled in the making of that video.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buckles here is the one my buddy just dug.How crazy is that!!?

Attachments

• mir.JPG
    mir.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 347
  • mira.JPG
    mira.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 338
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger said:
Buckles here is the one my buddy just dug.How crazy is that!!?

Thanks for posting that photo, kuger. I feel certain that this style of miraculous medallion dates Much closer to the start of production (1832) some might realize. Unlike later medallions, the first designer's name (Vachette) appears frequently on this style--usually below the hearts. Vachette designed the medallions in 1832; two years after 1830 date of the event which they commemorate. Plus, they had to have some time to make their way across the pond from France--so an earlier date makes sense. Nothing dating later than the 1830s was found in the site where the medallion was dug.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread