Alot is bugging me after todays hunt...sorry about all the pics (update)

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off BEZJO and I got out for a bit today, tested some new places, some that I have hunted solo before. Didn't find a whole lot. Did find one really crusty IH. Here's where the problem started, got home and found one last treasure crawling on my leg....a tick!!! In NY....this early in the season....ticks aren't as abundant. Got the IH soaking in some seed oil and was hoping to at least make out a date. After awhile I brought him out and tried to clear away some of the crud with a soft micro brush and low and behold, the black begins to peel off and reveal the most beautiful green patina below I have ever seen. Now ive read about this but never seen it before....I SHOULD continue to let it soak and let the black comes off as it want to right?!?!?!? The black has little to no detail but the nice green underneath has the most amazing detail....I have only read about this before and have never seen it as most of the IH's found around here at least are already green and dont have that crusty black :( Anyone with experience with this....please help!! The pictures show the progress that has been happening so far.....its all been natural as the black is flaking off, not being forced. Every few hours i take it out and lightly brush it with the micro brush and the black just falls off, and I toss it back in to soak more and like I sid the pictures show progress from condition coming out of the ground, to what it is right now here in front of me. Weird stuff. Bugs me.

Attachments

• TICK.jpg
    TICK.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IH1.jpg
    IH1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IH2.jpg
    IH2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,052
  • IH7.jpg
    IH7.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IH6.jpg
    IH6.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IH5.jpg
    IH5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IH4.jpg
    IH4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IH3.jpg
    IH3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,043
  • IH8.jpg
    IH8.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IH9.jpg
    IH9.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,012
Upvote 0

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
Re: Alot is bugging me after todays hunt...sorry about all the pics

someones probley gonna yell but me myself and i would srape off the black crud with my finger nails then use your micro brush and then soak for a while and then do again. usually with the green patina its going to be nice but not always. the tick i would have a different plan ;D willy

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Id give it a peroxide bath. :icon_thumright: Ticks are bad here. Had 3 on me yesterday. Going to be a long spring dealing with those nasty things. Good luck with your IH.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

time to break out the insect repellent, even the skeeters are getting bad here already

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets see the front!!! NICE IH looks like a good 1!!! MR TUFF

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Nice IH! I haven't found one of those for a couple of months.

BTW, I have never been bitten by a tick...until last Tuesday! Normally I get these guys off before they latch on, but this one got me in the back of my neck. Fortunately he was only there for a very short while and was still flat as a pancake when I got him off.

Ray

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well its not a 1859 --has sheild-- so 1860 to 1909 -- the first metal blend from 1860 to 1864 was about 1/3 heavier than the later metal blend 1864 to 1909 type

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still working on the front. It had about 4-5 times as much buildup of encrustation on it. This is what I have so far.....

Attachments

• IHupdate3.jpg
    IHupdate3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 567

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
that looks like my day yesterday. an indian and 40-50 ticks over a couple of hours.
nice cleanup on the back. i wouldn't sweat the cleaning method too much on an indian head unless you determine it's a rare date.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't listen to the purists. They are all anal-retentive. That IH is coming along nicely.

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not too concerned about it being a key date IH. But I would like to at least see the date, it was found 3 feet from a lock along the old chenango canal here in NY which hasnt been used since the 1880's. A neat little piece of history and I would love to just get a date on it and like to think it was dropped by one of the canal workers :)

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Keep going with that Indian head. I had a crusty one just like it last year Link here

(I just had it mostly clean before posting ;D )

I just used water and soaked it, then used a wood toothpick under a stereoscopic microscope to SLOWLY chip off the crust.
Keep at it, can't wait to see what date it is :icon_thumright:

HH,
Donny

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
The color on the back is beautiful! It would be cool if they would make new pennies with a patina like that.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Looks nice so far. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like when finished! While it's still black you crush the tick with it! :headbang:

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Date started to show through today, 1872....not too bad, at least was minted during the time the canal was used. Who knows if it was dropped during that time. I will post pictures when it is all clean and ready to go into the collection.

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watch out for them tick just had a dog pass and one with lyme disses im in up state north of syracuse

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread