finds from abandoned school

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Hunted a place called Lincoln Academy today. It was built in 1888 by Emily Pruden as a school for blacks. There are ten or twelve foundations but I only hunted around one. this school had dorms and everything. The woods surrounding are open and looks good for the hunting. also rock walls and walkways all through the woods.In thirty min. of hunting I found a very old ring a cross and my first buffalo, 1927. also a token or washer of some kind and a watzit

Attachments

• IM000907.jpg
    IM000907.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 465
  • IM000908.jpg
    IM000908.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 413
  • IM000904.jpg
    IM000904.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0
Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very cool..........nice finds, i like buffaloes alot, also is either the cross or the ring silver, or gold?..........sounds like an awesome site to hunt........keep us posted and happy hunting

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Nice digs, WTG!!!
The washer looking thingy with the little bar across the center is what, I believe, they call a dress weight, or hem weight. They were sown into the hems of ladies dresses to keep them from blow up in the wind...
Good luck, & Hapy hunting~

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great area. I don't believe I would leave that place. I would set up camp for a Month. Congrats on your finds. HH Burdie

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that in a half an hour! WoW!

That's gonna be a GREAT site for you!!

Congrats on your finds!

;)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's going to be a great site with those finds in such a short time! Leon got it, it's a hem weight. The flat piece looks like it could have been for a horse bridal decoration mount. HH, Mike

J

jgpreston

RK, Interesting site, you'll have hours of great detecting. In what state is it located if I may ask? Ohio? Great finds & HH. John

OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
The place is in N.C., It's real creepy out there. Since I was a little kid there has been stories about devil worshiping and stuff like that. In 1975 a 16 year old girl (Kathlene Smiley) was kidnaped from Atlanta and taken to this old school, raped and murdered.That kinda makes it more creepy. I'm going back today (weather permiting) with Torrero from Charlotte and hitting it again. The 55 acres ths school is on borders the prop. of the All healing health spa and resort which operated in the 1800's. I would love to hunt it also but its on state park prop.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
RK,

nice artifacts.

Sounds like an interesting site.

Shame that you cannot hunt on the state property next to it, out there in the woods:

have a good un............

S

southbound

Go slow and get the older deeper targets too. Never know what is down there. ::) Vern

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Leon said:
Nice digs, WTG!!!
The washer looking thingy with the little bar across the center is what, I believe, they call a dress weight, or hem weight. They were sown into the hems of ladies dresses to keep them from blow up in the wind...
Good luck, & Hapy hunting~
now i know what them washer looking thingys are , having dug afew thanks

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds..!!!! Looking forward to the Next Post...The site should to prove very productive....Seeker

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nice finds...looks like it will be some rich hunting grounds...thats the best part of hunting in creepy or supposedly haunted areas....everyone else has left the place alone. :o Hey I need one of trhose 'Hem weight' thingys!!! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions