1793 Flowing Hair Large Cent

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning was to be a hunt where I was going to stay in the woods, lunch, and do alot of exploring 4 sites that I know of. But the flooding that has hit our immediate area lately has not really subsided too much in the woods and lots of houses still surrounded by water. So I had trouble even walking the old dirt roads and even in the adjoining woods water was everywhere.

I eventually gave up on my main goal for the day and decided to hit the site where I got the War of 1812 Irish Union Greens button last year. That site is tiny but I got that button, a 1797 Half Cent and a 1699 William III Halfpenny there, so it was worth my effort to hit more of the perimeter of the site today.

I finally heard a good tone in the headphones that screamed possible copper, and deep! I guess it was about 8 inches or so down and out pops a thick copper. As soon as I picked it up I thought for sure it was a lettered edge variety of the Liberty Caps and most likely a 1794, so I had hopes of a Starred Reverse ( big dreams :D) I could not identify the coin due to the crud on it but was certain it was an early year large cent. The only other good diggable reading was only about 8 feet away but that was a large flat button, which is fine with me.

The hunt was cut short by me due to back and neck issues and the thought of a 50 minute walk back to my truck so I was happy I got at least one copper and a called it a day.

I put the coin in peroxide when I got home, emailed my son that I probably got a Liberty Cap Large Cent and then after about 10 minutes in the peroxide I took the coin out and using a wet q-tip gently started to remove the now loosened crud. To my delight I saw the scraggly hair of a 1793 Large Cent~! A goal coin of mine for a couple decades!! I have two 1793 Half Cents but this is special, and even though it was not the highly sought after Chain Cent, I'll take a Lettered Edge Flowing Hair Wreath type anyday!!

Upon final cleaning, the Obverse has all the details and not too bad, except for that guy back in the 1790s to early 1800s who tried to hole this copper with a square nail! >:(

But the Reverse was evidently never struck well and very little detail is visible but at least after final cleaning some of the Wreath is visible. The Edge Lettering is in great shape.

The last two photos were taken on the drive home a local Alpaca farm is slightly flooded and the road I was on, the water was flowing like a stream.

Don

I have noticed a lot of people call other years Flowing Hair Cents and that is erroneous to do so, only the 1793 is a Flowing Hair cent.

Attachments

• Union GreensPerimeter.jpg
    Union GreensPerimeter.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 4,720
  • Large copper in pilereduced.jpg
    Large copper in pilereduced.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 4,723
  • April1 Finds UnionGreenSite.jpg
    April1 Finds UnionGreenSite.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 4,719
  • 1793WreathTypeLetteredEdgeReduced.jpg
    1793WreathTypeLetteredEdgeReduced.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 4,672
  • 1793WreathTypeLetteredEdgeLargeCent.jpg
    1793WreathTypeLetteredEdgeLargeCent.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 4,673
  • 1793ReverseSide.jpg
    1793ReverseSide.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 4,647
  • Alpaca2.jpg
    Alpaca2.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 4,654
  • AlpacaFarm.jpg
    AlpacaFarm.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 4,654
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Flowing Hair Large Cent

JerV3 said:
Man Don,

I love that flowing hair. It's a coin I'd like to stumble on. I don't dedicate all of my time to one era. The older the better. But I gotta take what research I have available. I get to some early sites. But not nearly as rich as your parts. How many flowing types have you come by now in your day.

Great find

HH Jer

I wish more Flowing Hairs were in my collection, only the 1793's are Flowing Hair types and this is the first and only one, but I have been fortunate enough to find 23 Large Cents now from the 1700s, just need a 1799 to complete that sequence!

Don

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Here's an interesting thought... that early 1800's guy hammering your coin with the square nail may be the reason you found the coin in the first place. I can imagine the coin flying through the air and getting lost in the dirt/leaves/muck after the nail slipped under the weight of his sledge hammer. That theory might also explain why the hole was not finished. In any event, what a great find!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Re: Flowing Hair Large Cent

Don in SJ said:
JerV3 said:
Man Don,

I love that flowing hair. It's a coin I'd like to stumble on. I don't dedicate all of my time to one era. The older the better. But I gotta take what research I have available. I get to some early sites. But not nearly as rich as your parts. How many flowing types have you come by now in your day.

Great find

HH Jer

I wish more Flowing Hairs were in my collection, only the 1793's are Flowing Hair types and this is the first and only one, but I have been fortunate enough to find 23 Large Cents now from the 1700s, just need a 1799 to complete that sequence!

Don

If you dig the 1799, I will put up a statue of you and build a little shrine where I can pray to the original copper god ;D :notworthy:

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rhedden said:
Here's an interesting thought... that early 1800's guy hammering your coin with the square nail may be the reason you found the coin in the first place. I can imagine the coin flying through the air and getting lost in the dirt/leaves/muck after the nail slipped under the weight of his sledge hammer. That theory might also explain why the hole was not finished. In any event, what a great find!

Makes for a good story at minimum! :wink:

Don

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,

That is one incredible coin. The fact that the front still shows such good detail--and the date--is all one could hope for. Too bad about the square nail, but that is one phenomenal coin to find! :hello2:

Cheers,

Buckles

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:headbang:
wow Don it will be hard to top that.
:icon_thumright:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One heck of a find, and I say banner also! Congrats...Hogge :notworthy:

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
It doesn't get any better than that for finding US coppers. Once again, your careful approach to cleaning the coin has paid off. The detail is great, and the square nail mark just adds to the story of the coin. I'd say its well worthy of the banner.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don, congratulations on a great Find!

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
I'm waiting for theopportunity to get any kind of decent large cent. Your find is terrific. Sad about the person who felt trying to hole it was a good idea. You'll have to get the "Way Way Back Machine" out to teach him a lesson. Possibly there's another out there waiting because that guy dropped them both in haste to get out of the public house.

Nice cleaning job as well. Good luck on future finds in the area.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Don! Tis the season

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find Don !!! :icon_thumright: :notworthy: :icon_thumleft: What a FANTASTIC early American Lg Cent

I'm a bit P.O'd at whoever tried to hole it though ! :BangHead: :angry5: :BangHead:

Congrats ...

D.

S

sailrunner

Wow what a rush to even see one.. Im very happy for you.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow Don!!!!!!!!!!! stunning coin!!!! BANNER!!!!! :headbang:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest: