My Favorite Kind of Find, Old and Military. Late 1700s Light Infantry Hat Badge

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out for a couple hours today to a site that had been hunted extensively but it's a huge site which contains several cellar holes. The site was a large community consisting of French, British and even a couple Americans! The community did not last past the start of the 1800s so the vast majority of the finds date to this time.

Finds today were a nice, near complete barrel tap, a 1749 George II Farthing and a strung bugle badge which has yet to be identified. I'm confident that it dates to the late 1700s but there are no markings so difficult to say for sure. Any ideas?

Attachments

• CF All.jpg
    CF All.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,160
  • CF Bugle.jpg
    CF Bugle.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,382
  • CF Bugle Back.jpg
    CF Bugle Back.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,073
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Favorite...Old and Military!!!

Could it have something to do with the Voltiguers,or Riflemen?Wasnt there just a discussion about "threaded",spigots and early sites :icon_scratch:I know I have dug them in pre 1855 sites but there seemed to be disagreeance.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice British Capbadge, I would say no later than 1812 :icon_thumright:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet find Romeo! :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess I was close?I said Rifleman :laughing7:So I am way off,I just talk to my self anyway!!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Nice British Capbadge, I would say no later than 1812 :icon_thumright:

Thanks Cru...I thought you might have an idea!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like 1812 era. I seen you replied to HR's post, and seen the very similar one?

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Sweet finds Romeo!! I'll post a pic of the cap badge I found that's almost the same to yours. They are connected to the light infantry and mine is late in the 1812 war and I am thinking the 68th regiment as that was the only buttons around it....but you never know. Yours looks almost a bit earlier then 1812 but not a lot on info out there on then. Just get back to that site and dig!!!

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,180

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Iron Patch said:
Looks like 1812 era. I seen you replied to HR's post, and seen the very similar one?

Hey dude, hope you are getting out there by now with this weather. I am just starting here and not been on here in a bit.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hidden_Realm said:
Sweet finds Romeo!! I'll post a pic of the cap badge I found that's almost the same to yours. They are connected to the light infantry and mine is late in the 1812 war and I am thinking the 68th regiment as that was the only buttons around it....but you never know. Yours looks almost a bit earlier then 1812 but not a lot on info out there on then. Just get back to that site and dig!!!

I remember this one, forgot we thought light infantry as its also associated to the Rifles :help:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hidden_Realm said:

I knew I'd seen something like this before...I was happy when I found the barrel tap (highly underated relic) so I was over the moon when I found the badge. I even sent IP an e-mail from the field with a progress report...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
Hidden_Realm said:

I knew I'd seen something like this before...I was happy when I found the barrel tap (highly underated relic) so I was over the moon when I found the badge. I even sent IP an e-mail from the field with a progress report...

I was out..... and glad I was! The communication should be shorter to relay the next time! :thumbsup: Damn I don't want to see that $#@$in dance again! :tongue3:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Hidden_Realm said:

I was out..... and glad I was! The communication should be shorter to relay the next time! :thumbsup: Damn I don't want to see that $#@$in dance again! :tongue3:

Oh, there will be dancing!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Hidden_Realm said:

Oh, there will be dancing!

Great. I'll anxiously await what new moves you came up with over the Winter. :-\

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Favorite Kind of Find, Old and Military. Early 1800s Light Infantry Hat Badge

great find and many variants of this design were used by british in their colonies from 1770 .So yours could be older than 1812. Congrats

tinpan heres a 1770's version

Attachments

• bugle-horn.jpg
    bugle-horn.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,596
  • 1nsw.jpg
    1nsw.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,135
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Favorite Kind of Find, Old and Military. Early 1800s Light Infantry Hat Badge

Thanks Tinpan...some quick research tells me that a Light Infantry regiment was formed on this site in 1770 so it could very well date to then.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
Thanks Tinpan...some quick research tells me that a Light Infantry regiment was formed on this site in 1770 so it could very well date to then.

British used the term "Light Infantry" Colonials used the term "Rifles" :wink:

tinpan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread