WOW!!! Talking for a long time pays off!

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
I went to a local coin show today with my grandfather. We went in and went thru the show, looked at some really nice coins, and like usuall, my grnadfather found someone to talk to. So the talking carried on untill everyone except for the three of us were gone :angry5: :argue:
So as we were leaving, the guy my granfather was talking to was the guy who ran it, was parked in the opposite end of the lot than us, and, as we were walking towards our car, the other guy drove past us. Right next to our car sitting on the ground was a coin in one of those plastic things, so I grab it. I look only at the face of it and showed my grandfather, I didn't realize what the coin was besides a Buff. He looks at it then looks at me with the weirdest stare, then told me to look at it closer. My face went like :occasion18:

Attachments

• Buff1913dTp2(1).JPG
    Buff1913dTp2(1).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,460
  • Buff1913dTp2(2).JPG
    Buff1913dTp2(2).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,452
  • Buff1913dTp2(3).JPG
    Buff1913dTp2(3).JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,449
  • Buff1913dTp2(4).JPG
    Buff1913dTp2(4).JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,457
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Reads like half a story.
Are you going to keep the coin or attempt to give it back to the owner who lost it?
The code on the reverse top would certainly be a clue to the owner you could share with the organizer of the show; or place an ad in Craig's List to see if anyone could ID it properly.

OP
OP
jdsarasin8194

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
Mackaydon said:
Reads like half a story.
Are you going to keep the coin or attempt to give it back to the owner who lost it?
The code on the reverse top would certainly be a clue to the owner you could share with the organizer of the show; or place an ad in Craig's List to see if anyone could ID it properly.
I contacted the people who ran the show, they gave me the contact info for the guy who uses the coding things, he said he sold it to someone during the show but couldn't remember the exact person :dontknow:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully the owner will come forward and you'll be able to reunite the coin with its owner. That person is probably heartbroken now!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jdsarasin8194 said:
Mackaydon said:
Reads like half a story.
I contacted the people who ran the show, they gave me the contact info for the guy who uses the coding things, he said he sold it to someone during the show but couldn't remember the exact person :dontknow:
If this person lost it then apparently it didn't mean much to them to lose it, If I would have paid that much money for a coin you better bet your But ..It would have been put in a very safe place an not taken out til I got in my car or at home....

OP
OP
jdsarasin8194

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
creeper71 said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Mackaydon said:
Reads like half a story.
If this person lost it then apparently it didn't mean much to them to lose it, If I would have paid that much money for a coin you better bet your But ..It would have been put in a very safe place an not taken out til I got in my car or at home....
I think that who ever lost it had it in their pocket and if fell out or something but, who knows :dontknow:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jdsarasin8194 said:
creeper71 said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Mackaydon said:
Reads like half a story.
I think that who ever lost it had it in their pocket and if fell out or something but, who knows :dontknow:
oh well it's your coin now..spit happens.. I surely wouldn't post on craigslist now that it is all over the internet so some one can scam you out of your find...

OP
OP
jdsarasin8194

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
creeper71 said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
creeper71 said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Mackaydon said:
Reads like half a story.
oh well it's your coin now..spit happens.. I surely wouldn't post on craigslist now that it is all over the internet so some one can scam you out of your find...
Wise words creeper, wise words ;D

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Good job bub! Go enjoy YOUR coin now, ya did more than most at trying to find the owner. I know when coins are dug not many go looking for the rightful owner lol.

enjoy
Slipperyjack47

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Slipperyjack47 said:
Good job bub! Go enjoy YOUR coin now, ya did more than most at trying to find the owner. I know when coins are dug not many go looking for the rightful owner lol.

enjoy
Slipperyjack47
My exact point Jack47... I really don't see the point in metal detecting or treasure hunting to give things back to people... I will agree a wedding ring or any thing that has info on that can lead to owner.. You should try but anything else, let the person who lost it do the work to find it..

OP
OP
jdsarasin8194

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
creeper71 said:
Slipperyjack47 said:

enjoy
Slipperyjack47
My exact point Jack47... I really don't see the point in metal detecting or treasure hunting to give things back to people... I will agree a wedding ring or any thing that has info on that can lead to owner.. You should try but anything else, let the person who lost it do the work to find it..
Well, if I had dug this than I deffinatly not go looking for the owner, but it was at a coin show, and the way I looked at it was, someone must have bought it and droped it and they would have been put out more than $200

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD, you did right, guy, in trying to find the owner of the dropped coin.
There is a world of difference between something that was lost 10, 100, 200 years ago, and something that was bought, and then lost, that day. What it is called is "doing to others what you would have them do to you." You did the right thing in
the follow-up. Now, if noone puts in the paper or by some other means, that he/she lost the coin, then you can enjoy
your coin with a free conscience. (That's part of what Easter is about.)
Good job. :thumbsup:

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
You did the right thing in trying to find the owner so you are the new owner so now enjoy your new coin and hold on to it congrats . happy hunting RON

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions